Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:29:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 6mm Manufactures  (Read 1255 times)

Offline mictator

• Assistant
6mm Manufactures
« on: April 05, 2022, 09:33:12 PM »
Hello, think about to buy 6mm Vehicles. Not GHQ(to expensive) and Irregular (to ugly).

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 6mm Manufactures
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2022, 01:59:27 AM »
Ruling out GHQ and Irregular narrows your options a bit.

I went with Heroics and Ros for my 6mm figures. I like them, although sometimes the mould lines are fairly prominent (mainly where they run across flat surfaces).

Another option is Scotia-Grendel Productions. I only have a few of their models. My impression is that they’re okay, but not great (kind of blocky).

Finally, Baccus 6mm makes a range of 6mm models. I don’t have any of their WW2 stuff, but their ancients are quite good. The pictures I have seen online look like the WW2 vehicles are nicely done. Their infantry look very good (which makes sense, since they started out on periods that only had infantry and cavalry).

The sizing can vary a bit between manufacturers, so I would recommend getting all of the vehicles of a specific class (ex Sherman tanks) from one source so that they’re consistent with each other, but if one company doesn’t make something you are looking for you could get them from someone else. GHQ might be an exception, as their stuff is 1:285 scale and looks a little beefy next to the 1:300 models the others make.

Online SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2022, 05:50:54 AM »
Mictator, I would agree with Pattus Magnus. H&R are the oldest range, and cost about 75p per model.  However it is a very extensive range.  The Baccus are much newer but cost £4 for 3 models.....but do look very nice. So far they only cover British, Americans and Germans. There is another range "out there" that from memory cost about £1 per models and looked very nice. I hope someone else can name them for you as I can't recall them or google them. 

Offline sultanbev

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2022, 09:35:47 AM »
6mm WW2: Heroics & Ros is the best option, top up with Scotia where models are not available.

Butler 3D do all their range in 6mm, with resin option available now.
https://www.butlersprintedmodels.co.uk/6mm/ww2

Mark

Offline sultanbev

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2022, 12:01:13 AM »
Another source of 3d printed vehicles in 6mm is Resin Historicals, 10 vehicles for £6, cheap as chips. The downside is they are 1/285 rather than 1/300, and the turrets on the tanks a colleague bought (T-72 tanks) are fixed. 
https://resinhistoricals.co.uk/product-category/6mm-micro-armour-1285/

Mark

Offline mictator

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2022, 09:33:28 PM »
Many thanks

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2022, 01:32:03 PM »
Hello, think about to buy 6mm Vehicles. Not GHQ(to expensive) and Irregular (to ugly).

GHQ is expensive but worth it. Especially for those "halo" units or models. BUT the infantry and especially horses (draft) are a pain. The infantry is delicate and draft horse usually don't have bases which makes them a major pain. I replace GHQ draft horses with H&R ones.

CinC is available from LegionsIVhire now. Almost as good as GHQ. But the detail is not oversized like on GHQ. So a thinner paint is a benefit. Not the range of GHQ but still very extensive.

H&R is my go to for both items not done elsewhere and infantry and cavalry. Also since the new guy (can't remember his name off hand) has taken over he is introducing new and interesting lines (lots of WWII Airborne from both sides) and has been having many older models redone so they are as good as GHQ maybe 10 years ago. Plus he has brought back many (all?) of the non modern/WWII lines so the range of items is matched by no one.

Baccus is getting their masters done by 3D printing. This makes for really good originals (close to GHQ). Having seen some they do look a little large(ish). Still filling out ranges.

Scotia Grendel. I like them. Yes low detail but last year I finally painted my 40+ year old stash of WWII French. Must have been something like 30 models of vehicles and guns. And still more and the new ones are as good as the H&R. Who makes Polish Belgian and some 45 French WWII models?

Irregular. Yes the vehicles are pretty sad but I really like the infantry and cavalry. Imaginative poses and if you can live with the already based design then wonderful. Almost as extensive as H&R and an even wider lot of ranges. I have a ton on Spanish Civil War figures for use as any sort of troops from interwar to post war irregulars of colonial troops plus imaginations.

There is some new outfit out there who does very specialty models. Like recovery vehicles and what if WWII in '46 or '47. Can't for the life of me find them in my badly organized (unorganized) links but worth a search. I believe they also use 3D printed masters.

Lastly Skytex(?) and Croissant (in service miniatures) and a few others were from days gone by. Very variable but I like the ISM range. He added things like sand bags, logs and stowage to existing vehicles for the lived in look. He also did really odd ball stuff like tractor-trailer rigs, telephone poles, earth moving equipment, etc.. Not common but can still be found (at least in my basement).

If you want modern or aircraft then this will get really long. Let me know if you do as I have many from WWI to ultra modern and into sci fi. There are quite a few sci fi 6mm producers out there with many figures suitable for irregulars or what ifs. I have some figures to use as African rebels and South African irregulars.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 01:36:15 PM by madman »

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2022, 01:57:00 PM »
Magister Militum does WWII infantry. Crude and a little big but interesting poses. Bought a bunch of prone guys to use as "unit is prone" markers for standard bases.

Also Shapeways. I have some aircraft and quite variable but extensive ranges.

Adler. I don't have any and the common statement is the heads are large.

Here is a cool links site;

https://6mm.wargaming.info/links.shtml

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2022, 01:33:51 AM »
I used to favour Heroics and Ros, but they're too small for a satisfactory appearance which my old eyes can pick up. 10mm now, and far better.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2022, 03:33:13 AM »
Just in case you’re curious about how the painted 6mm vehicles by Heroics & Ros look, a few pics of mine are in this thread: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=132936.msg1688470#msg1688470

Another thing about H&R - they actually make two versions of infantry for several of the WW2 ranges. The old versions are quite simplified sculpts, while the newer figures are a bit bulkier and much more detailed. Most of my collection are the old ones (which I like because they’re easy to paint and still look good when based), but I recently got some of the newer British ones and they’re very nice. (I wouldn’t mix old and new on the same bases, though- they’re different styles)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 03:34:55 AM by Pattus Magnus »

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2022, 04:06:23 PM »
Just figured out the other 6mm manufacturer. 2D6 Wargaming. Some really odd items plus standard.

https://www.2d6wargaming.com/

Gotta get me some EMU wars goodness!

Online SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2022, 06:09:00 AM »
Madman, thanks. 2D6 was the company I was racking by brains over. At £1.20 per vehicle they are 50% pricier than H&R but 50% the cost of GHQ which I see now cost nearly £2.60 per vehicle from Magister Militum in UK.

I guess you "pays your money you makes your choice"!