Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:44:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Blogs..... what do we say?  (Read 10103 times)

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
Re: Blogs..... what do we say?
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2022, 01:18:34 PM »
I think all I'd add to all the above comments is that if you are seeking the dopamine hit of people replying/commenting/liking/sharing your content (and who doesn't love a bit of that?) then there are other (newer) social media platforms that deliver that much more effectively.

In the past people kept paper diaries - most of them weren't expecting them to be read by anyone else - they were a record of personal thoughts, reflections, passions and ideas. I think of blogs as a modern, electronic version of that format.

It used to be a cliche of Indie bands in the music press of the 90s to mumble "we just make music for ourselves and if anyone else likes it, that's a bonus" but that is pretty much how I view my blog  :D

Offline modelwarrior

• Scientist
    • themodelwarrior
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2022, 01:51:48 PM »
No one?
Are you sure, because that's *exactly* how I like my blogs. 😁
I dislike having to click through to "read more" as I am interested in the latest update

Think Im the same. I just dont bother looking at front pages and web site design. I just read the latest stuff and take inspiration. As long as the blog has a menu Im happy.
 I have a blog but as others have mentioned its more to record what Im doing than to get hits. Get more feedback on facebook posts these days. Blog interaction is very limited these days.

Offline vexillia

• Mad Scientist
    • Vexillia
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2022, 01:53:04 PM »
I dislike having to click through to "read more" as I am interested in the latest update

Then an RSS reader is ideal for you.

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2022, 02:09:20 PM »
If I wanted an RSS reader I'd use one.
But I don't.

Thanks for the advice though.

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2022, 03:59:15 PM »
Still happily blogging after 10 years and as others have mentioned I use it as a personal record of all the things that I have done in this hobby. It also helps to generate a bit of pocket money (about 200 quid a year) and perhaps most importantly it has introduced me to a bunch of new local gamers who I might never have met otherwise.

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2022, 08:05:15 AM »
Still blogging after 11 years, about 2 posts per month and drawing 100-150 visitors a day. Regular comments, especially on recent posts. So I must be doing something right  :D

I think Facebook is useless for the kind of blogs I write. I tend to write info-rich reviews and how-tos that you can't possibly  put in a FB post in any comprehensive way and wouldn't be able to find them again if you did.

FB is good for sharing a few pictures and sharing tips, insights and links, but that's about it IMO.
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2022, 04:39:45 PM »
I had a personal blog about 5-6 years ago...maybe more, but joined with a few other friends into one we hoped would improve the the views for all:

https://wyrdstonesandtacklezones.com/

Several years ago, we were doing unboxing posts of Forge World Blood Bowl models and that grew our numbers and engagement dramatically. Buying Forge World models regularly is expensive though, and as the blog isn't a money making venture (we don't do ads) this feature had to get dropped due to cost. Plus, personally, I'm not a fan of unboxing posts so when the individual posting those also got out of the game of Blood Bowl and blogs, those posts totally went away.

As it currently stands, I'm the one that posts the most frequently. One moved more over to Instagram and Facebook, the other is in the military with not a lot of hobby time atm. I don't do social media, so LAF and that blog are my outlets. often times I just post the same content in both around the same time.

I think we've settled down to around 100 views a day on average. I get a few commentators on the posts, but it's the same couple of individuals. I mainly do it now in the case that some poor soul in the future is interested in similar type of games and modeling as I (mainly BB and 1/72 models) and will have this resource. Social Media seems terrible for searching for historical posts...it seems like posts are frequently pushed down and washed away over time. A blog feels like the contend can remain longer...and is certainly available to more people (no logins or gates preventing views).

TBH, I'm not sure how much longer I'll keep going on the blogging. I do like to read older posts on topics of interest, so I maintain that there are a few others that do so as well, so that's mainly what keeps me keeping on.

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2022, 03:41:31 AM »
This topic has turned out to be a wealth of info and input! Thanks lads!  :D

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2022, 04:44:14 AM »
Still have mine but have not posted in years should get back to it just posting photos have been a pain.
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline Radar

• Librarian
    • KeepYourPowderDry
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2022, 07:11:32 PM »
Started my blog 4 and a bit years ago. A repository for all my bits of paper, took a bit of a change during lockdown as it was a means to retaining my sanity. Got a few messages from readers who thanked me for helping keep them sane too. Really happy with that tbh.

The other ego boost was wandering around Sulby Hedges and seeing someone finding their way with a print out of my guide to Naseby.

As my blog has a very narrow focus (just covers the ECW/BCW/Wo3K) I am somewhat taken aback that the page counter has just rolled past 250k.

So I wouldn't think that blogs have seen their day just yet.
www.keepyourpowderdry.co.uk gaming the British Civil Wars in 15mm, and home of the ECW travelogue - dreadful painting, mediocre prose

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2022, 08:28:15 PM »
Had mine since 2011 and now use mostly to host photos.  Never monetized it as I figure if someone wants to see my stuff they will look.  If they don't then they won't. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Radar

• Librarian
    • KeepYourPowderDry
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2022, 08:07:09 AM »
I have a buy me a coffee button. I wasn't going to bother, as I consider my blog karmic payback for every other website that I have used. But a regular reader specifically asked to donate, so I set it up. I also run Google ads (really stripped back) and have a couple of affiliate links (that I use for myself, effectively giving me 10% discount). Thought if I covered the cost of the annual domain registration I'd be happy. Can't retire on it, but it has bought a few books in the 18 months I've monetized the site.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2022, 08:27:17 PM »
This is an idea I may suggest our blog guy do.  There are enough people viewing the site that maybe folks would pitch in a bit.  I don't think it's exorbitant, but having our own domain certainly isn't free.

Offline Hummster

• Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2022, 03:05:17 PM »
I still blog occasionally but largely as a record for my own use of things I have done rather than content for an audience.

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2022, 06:55:23 PM »
Thanks lads. Hummmster, I think I was considering blogging for the same reason.