Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:32:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Jersey during the Wars of the Roses  (Read 1266 times)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
Jersey during the Wars of the Roses
« on: February 09, 2022, 02:35:15 PM »
Anyone out there done any research or gaming on the French invasion of Jersey in 1461?
I'm contemplating a small scale campaign in 15mm using the excellent Peter Pig Wars of the Roses figures. I'm particularly interested if there are any Channel Islanders out there who have used their local history knowledge to game this fascinating episode. I seem to recall there was a reasonably strong Jersey gaming fraternity out there at some point...

Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
Re: Jersey during the Wars of the Roses
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 05:59:27 PM »
Might I expect French Compagnies D'Ordonnance to follow the same practice as the Burgundians adopted in relation to their heraldry with livery coats depicting the heraldic colours and device of where they come from?
I'm considering fielding Compagnies from Rouen, Caen and Evreux and have tracked down plausible historic civic/district heraldry I could use as colour choices.
I have also seen depictions of helmet sashes and plumes in those colours as distinctions used in combination with the ubiquitous French uniform of 'red with white cross tabard/coat'.
Does anyone know which might have been preferred?

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2022, 06:53:34 PM »
The scenery for Jersey during the WoTR in 15mm is nearing completion... just a parish church and a post mill to go... all scratchbuilt.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2022, 07:07:44 PM »
Cool - and a very different approach to WoTR from the typical battles. I’d never heard of a French invasion during the WoTR - and by the lack of responses seems you have found a gap in the LAF Borg-mind!

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2022, 07:42:44 PM »
Very nice buildings!

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2022, 02:22:30 AM »
Great idea, not read anything about the Jersey campaign

Cheers
Matt

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2022, 07:27:07 AM »
A gap in the historiography is partly down to a lack of substantial local records, most of which burned in a fire in the early 1500s. Most of what is known of the period has been pieced together from archives of the leading families. There is a chronicle which casts a slightly more eventful light on the period, recording resistance by seigneur Philippe de Carteret and about half the island to the French occupation in 1461. One of Warwick's supporters Jean Nanfan is implicated in allowing the French to occupy the main castle, Mont Orgeuil. It was seen as a play by Margaret of Anjou to enlist French support for the Lancastrian cause and dent Warwick's ability to prey on French shipping. Some notable Norman/French barons who had fought the English in Normandy in the latter part of the 100years war were involved including Pierre de Breze and his son Jacques. In 1468 en route to Calais, the English fleet under Vice Admiral Sir Richard Harliston (with some men from Guernsey) landed troops to assist the local militia and seigneurs in evicting the French. After a six month siege of Mont Orgeuil castle they succeeded. The island is only 5 x 9 miles and split into 12 parishes for admin and defence. It has a distinctive look and makes an ideal chess-board for a free-roam campaign using Lion Rampant. It ticked all the boxes for me despite the lack of main characters in the WoTR.