Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:38:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Painting the Picts  (Read 722 times)

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
Painting the Picts
« on: April 12, 2022, 08:35:22 AM »
In the midst of my current Dark Ages resurgence, I decided that I really wanted to get a couple of units of 28mm Pictish nobles together. I’ve been using my Scots-Irish nobles as stand-ins for games of Midgard, but there was a Pictish itch that I really needed to scratch.

I had some Picts that had been sitting in the bits box for 15 years and augmented these with some reinforcements from Gripping Beast and West Wind Productions. After cleaning up the figures and gluing on shields and spears (and separate heads in the case of the West Wind minis), I plumped for a white undercoat. All my previous Dark Ages minis had been done with a black undercoat, layer, wash and highlight, but this time out I wanted to see if I could achieve similar – and faster – effects with the GW Contrast Paints.

As it turned out, I was able to achieve a result that I was more than happy with. Most areas of the figures had a base coat of a Contrast paint followed by a highlight or light dry brush of another colour. Colours like Skeleton Horde and Aggaros Dunes made an excellent base for linen tunics and robes; Dark Angels Green, Wyldwood and Nazrdreg Yellow were also used as base colours.

Painting skin always used to be a time-consuming process with a base of chestnut brown, a brown ink wash and then a highlight or two of flesh colour; this time out I experimented with Contrast Guilliman Flesh and Gore Grunta Fur, using different mixes for different areas of the figure. These had a few selected highlights, but I reckon overall that this new technique produced very similar results in about half the time that I used to spend on painting flesh.

There's a fuller description and many more pics on my mogysmakes blog if you're interested, as well as more details about the background:  https://mogsymakes.net/2022/04/12/painting-the-picts/

These guys should be taking to the table for our game at Partizan in Newark, UK on May 22nd, so I may see some of you there!

Offline brunei35

• Scientist
Re: Painting the Picts
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 08:46:32 AM »
Look excellent! Very impressive

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 09:16:35 AM »
Beautiful   :-* :-* :-*
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline .:Gunslinger:.

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 09:19:08 AM »
Fantastic painting, love the miniatures and the choice of colours :-*

Offline Vis Bellica

• Scientist
    • Vis Lardica
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 09:32:39 AM »
Beautiful stuff. Love the combination of earth tones and tartans.

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 02:21:16 PM »
Brilliant work! I especially love the way you painted the fabric!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper