Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:01:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dilapidated old motel  (Read 2376 times)

Offline shadowbeast

• Scientist
Dilapidated old motel
« on: April 13, 2022, 01:24:34 PM »

Sarissa Precision kits. Now someone else's problem.
No gel ball ban in WA! http://chng.it/pcKk9qKcVN

Offline James Mahdeep Bond V

• Bookworm
Re: Dilapidated old motel
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2022, 01:40:17 AM »
One of those walls needs the image of the painting of dogs playing poker. You know...to dress it up. Hey, where's the 1-cup coffee maker? Beds could butt up against one wall so roomies can yell, "Cut it out over there!" And think about adding the Bates' Motel's stuffed bird motif in the office. (seen in movie Psycho, first movie ever to portray a flushing toilet.) Excellent posters in the Office. And tiny back windows guests cannot slip out and away from the motel without paying. I picture Jack Reacher taking of one of these rooms sometime.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2022, 06:11:25 AM »
Nice job.

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2022, 08:25:31 AM »
Dilapidated?  I've stayed in worse places  lol

Looks great though, a fine addition to the table!

Offline shadowbeast

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2022, 08:45:37 AM »

You've encountered Australian backpacker lodges then?

One of those walls needs the image of the painting of dogs playing poker. You know...to dress it up. Hey, where's the 1-cup coffee maker? Beds could butt up against one wall so roomies can yell, "Cut it out over there!" And think about adding the Bates' Motel's stuffed bird motif in the office. (seen in movie Psycho, first movie ever to portray a flushing toilet.) Excellent posters in the Office. And tiny back windows guests cannot slip out and away from the motel without paying. I picture Jack Reacher taking of one of these rooms sometime.

That's up to the new owner now.

Not every motel is the Bates motel or needs to be full of Easter Eggs for Psycho, but that will be their decision if they decide to finish it further.
The beds can only fit one way round or they interfere with the door. I'm not sure why interior walls were added at all, really; the design is actually rather impractical and as usual, only textured on one side. The doors being the same way around in each room prevent the beds opposing.

Anyway, I tired of trying to finish this project terribly well, so it's gone. If I feel like it I shall try another one later.
And that goes for the service station I was working on too.

Offline Dan55

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2022, 04:07:16 AM »
Looks very nice.

Offline Karadek

• Scientist
    • Xenia Gamers Club
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2022, 02:16:04 PM »
Looks great. Was this a commission piece? 

Offline mikos khan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2022, 01:42:10 AM »
Good job.  I especially like the bathroom showers and the travel posters in the office. 

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2022, 01:45:58 AM »

I take it you've gone backpacking in India?
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline shadowbeast

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2022, 09:19:33 AM »
Looks great. Was this a commission piece?

No, I just wanted to get it a bit further along, until it looked like something, before I sold it.

Offline KD47

• Librarian
  • What is best in life?
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2022, 12:45:16 AM »
This model is well built and painted with no visible errors.   You've added interior detailing and posters both of which are a good touch.    It looks like you've used some black chalks to simulate tire skids in the entry area.   An excellent model for your game table.

You're also artistically ready for the next level.

Yeah, those pastel chalks!   Put a dark streak around the bottom edge of the building to simulate years of dirt and mold build-up.  Could be medium to dark brown, dark gray, even black if used sparingly and scrubbed in to make the edges less distinct.   Building bases accumulate moisture and get moldy.    You could even put a dark streak around the roof edge, pulling it down onto the walls in places to make the place look even older.   When starting out on pastel chalks, go light at first.   You can always add more but it's difficult to remove too much.   

At the edges of the walls, you'll usually find a couple of things going on.   The first is worn paint, which is achieved by dry-brushing a light tan or similar color onto the corners in a really irregular way.    Another thing that happens at the edges of buildings (and wood slats) is that the edges wear and grow dark with mold.   Again, lightly dry-brush these in an irregular way.  Maybe experiment with an old brush.  A very dark brown or near-black also works well for concrete curb edges.   Cars scrape against curbs and knock off paint and small pieces, which grow moldy and dark.  Don't just go up-and-down with your dry-brush for this, try some side-to-side brush strokes.   You'll get more on the edge but leave the basic are alone.

For the more "bare" or "empty" stretches of wall get dusty, so a light scrubbing of a light tan pastel chalk works well.   Rub it in good and fade it out the closer you get to the roof, base, doors or windows.

You have light-colored walls so grafitti decals could work well here.   If you decide to go that route, put your decals on first and give 'em a coat of flat.   Then do your weathering.

Placing small tufts or tiny irregular splotches of flock in concrete cracks or where the sidewalk or other upright exterior feature meets the pavement simulate those tiny weeds that add character to old buildings.    If you're ambitious, you could even paint irregular streaks going up from the concrete onto the walls, simulating creeping ivy or vines.   Those are fairly hard to put on, and easy to over-do though.  Use sparingly.   Give the whole thing a coat of flat when you're done.

You've got a good foundation.  Have fun adding a few more toys to your arsenal.  Make dilapidated look like a 40 year old dump where you can rent 'em by the hour.  And if this is a piece offered for sale, add a few more touches and either charge more, or watch it fly off the shelf.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 12:55:55 AM by KD47 »
For former content of mine, search my former user ID kalebdaark:

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=4831

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2022, 06:05:39 PM »
Personally, I think it looks perfect as it is and does not require overweathering - unless you really want it "dilapidated". Looks very useful just like one sees in the American movies great build.

Offline KD47

• Librarian
  • What is best in life?
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2022, 04:37:24 AM »
Personally, I think it looks perfect as it is and does not require overweathering ...

Since beauty is in the eye of the beholder, it's always up to the artist themselves how much or how little they want to weather things.    Don't mind lil 'ol me shuffling around here, I think I might just have a different definition of what the words "old" and "dilapidated" mean than you do.    What genre/section of the board is this posted in again?   I forget.

Anyhow..... Shadowbeast, it's a solid build.  Not knocking it.   If you choose to do something grungier, I think you have the base talent part down.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 04:41:59 AM by KD47 »

Offline OldWest92

• Schoolboy
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2022, 05:38:55 PM »
Wow! This is really cool. Love the attention to detail in the lobby and suites. I've always been a big believer that the small details really bring scenery to life, and man oh man did you nail it here! You should be proud.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2022, 06:11:49 PM »
I think the main confusion regarding the term dilapidated comes from the fact that this is in the PA subforum.

Nice build though, a well-worn place without being a shambles.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.