Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:27:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Slaine miniatures game - first look at the figures  (Read 1700 times)

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
Slaine miniatures game - first look at the figures
« on: April 13, 2022, 05:06:48 PM »

Slaine - first look at the production miniatures (these are the actual models from a boxed set shown to me by a friend)

As an enthusiastic Slaine fan in my youth (and still quite a bit nowadays) I’ve been getting very excited about the new miniatures game from Warlord. Not so much for the rules, but for the figures.  The   publicity has shown some wonderful sculpts based very closely on the classic artwork of the comics.  However, these models were all metal castings, but the actual production models were to be ‘Warlord resin’.

Upon asking around, I discovered that this wonder substance is in fact a variant of Siocast, a flexible resin that has also recently been used by Plastic Soldier Company for its 15mm ancients ranges. Complex to master, it can produce excellent results when done well. I’d also heard a fair few stories about how hard it is to clean up mould lines on figures; due to its flexible nature, it needs very careful trimming with a super sharp blade - any filing or sanding just creates a burr.

So, I was steeling myself for possible disappointment when I got to handle the actual minis but… I have to say, I’m impressed.  Mould lines were minimal and I managed to clean them up with a brand new scalpel blade.  The models are lovely, easily recognisable as being closely based on the comic art. There’s some serious detail in patterns and textures that will paint up really well with washes or Contrast paints. 

On the downside, a couple of the poses are slightly ‘flat’ - not unexpected with these single piece castings, especially a couple of the Skull Swords, where the sculptor has had to include a cast-on shield and sword within the moulding restrictions. The resin/ plastic is quite bendy, so will benefit from a plastic primer and good varnishing. They are also quite tall - well into the 32mm category - but I put them up against some of my existing Celtic myth collection and I think they’ll be just fine. 

Handling these lovely models certainly allayed my fears and I shall be getting some for sure.

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
Re: Slaine miniatures game - first look at the figures
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2022, 08:46:11 PM »
I've never used this 'resin' and had fears of it being another failure-cast but the details look very clean and sharp enough.

I'd zoomed in to your pictures so imagine the shock when that face scrolled up :o

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2022, 09:52:54 PM »
 They are very nice figures and i hope mine arrive at the Weekend ;).

The material is like what they use on the Judge Dredd range.Very light and holds detail very well as shown in the pictures above.

Not had any problems with my JD figures so far as they are done by an injection method.

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2022, 04:10:40 PM »
Got a set last week and have started painting.  These minis have some lovely detail. Very little cleaning up was required and I was pleased to see that Slaine’s arms glued on with no filling needed.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2022, 05:25:58 PM »
 Very good start to the miniatures.

Got mine on Saturday.Starter set and the rest of the releases.

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2022, 05:29:13 AM »
Very good start to the miniatures.

Got mine on Saturday.Starter set and the rest of the releases.

Cheers. Did you get Balor?  Keen to see that one in the flesh.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2022, 07:56:55 AM »
 I got everything that was released ;).

He is a very nice miniature.

Got the starter set figures cleaned and onto bases along with the Drune Warband,Drune characters,Earth tribe characters.Hope to get some more done Today then once all of them are sorted i will fill bases in on them.

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2022, 09:19:14 AM »
Thats some lovely painting, I really like the earthy tones you've gone for
Suits the background

I went all in on this as well.
I've nearly finished painting the Skullswords
I'll take some photos tonight.
The only figure I'm disappointed in is the warped slaine
It looks ok but is utterly dwarfed by the Wargames foundry version.

I'm looking for inspiration for the different types of terrain that you can build (you can mark them with tokens but I really like the idea of a corpse copse)

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2022, 10:05:44 AM »
love the look of the models - love the size (I'm assuming they're 35mm like Judge Dredd etc).
paint-jobs going well.

not a particular fan of the source material, but many of the figures could be used for other rulesets no doubt.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2022, 11:43:22 AM »
 The Warped Slaine miniature is probably the worst figure in the range so far.The Helter Skelter Slaine figures look good and the Warped Slaine in there looks pretty nice.The Foundy Warped Slaine is really nice and could be easily used instead.