Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:37:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690498
  • Total Topics: 118334
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sandgrave  (Read 2543 times)

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
Sandgrave
« on: February 21, 2022, 11:00:04 PM »
The start of my Sandgrave project, featuring pseudo-Egyptian fantasy models using the Ghost Archipelago Tribal kit.  I will modify the bestiary using entries from both Frostgrave and Ghost Archipelago to better fit the theme.  Gnolls, Snakemen, and undead will fit in nicely.

Both of these models will be part of a Thaumaturge retinue representing the Order of the Sun, which uses rare, golden sunmetal that falls from the heavens and is used to forge weapons to combat undead and demonic foes.  The second model is inspired by the Egyptian god, Sobek, and utilizes a Stargrave head.

Blessed by the gods, those fortunate to be born with the head of the crocodile are frequently recruited by the Order of the Sun as temple guardians. Like the mighty and ravenous river crocodiles they resemble, they can feast upon the flesh and bones of the undead without succumbing to corruption. In addition to the Order's sunmetal weapons, this is one of the few ways to permanently destroy the undead in Sandgrave.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 11:13:01 PM by Philhelm »

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
Re: Sandgrave
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 07:19:50 AM »
I do love a sideways step in wargame world building rather than strict adherence to the authors original ideas.

Looking forward to seeing your project grow.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 01:12:46 PM »
Great looking and clever conversion ideas!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 01:57:10 PM »
great concept, and first figures. Look forward to more.

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 02:37:17 PM »
Very cool idea!
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2022, 02:42:52 PM »
I do love a sideways step in wargame world building rather than strict adherence to the authors original ideas.

Looking forward to seeing your project grow.

I thought that the other "Sandgrave" projects I've seen were a clever take on the game.  I envision Sandgrave existing within the same world as Felstad and the Ghost Archipelago, and I will keep some of the lore such as my reference to the Order of the Sun which is one of the knightly orders listed within one of the Spellcaster magazines (-1 Fight, but +2 Fight vs. undead and demons).  I was in part inspired by the Age of Mythology video game after playing as the Egyptians, and will aim for a blend of pseudo-Egyptian, Arabian, and Conan aesthetic.

I'm excited for this project since I can easily steer away from more traditional fantasy tropes and can use some of the more uncommon kits such as the Tribals, Snakemen, etc.  For now, I only intend to change the bestiary chart to better reflect the setting, but there are plenty of entries from the various games and supplements already.  I might also use the Tribal and/or Drichean trait systems from Ghost Archipelago to flavor the warbands but that's not set in stone yet.

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2022, 02:45:50 PM »
great concept, and first figures. Look forward to more.

Undead, gnolls, and snakemen will be abundant.  I'm also stoked to use Stargrave chimp heads on Tribal bodies for prehistoric ape-men (using the barbarian random encounter rules).

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2022, 01:25:38 PM »
Great start to your new wolrd. Looking forward to seeing if you have any more updates yet.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2022, 01:32:24 PM »
An excellent start - really like the paint scheme you chose  :)

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2022, 12:00:04 AM »
 8) way cool...cant wait fo mo!!!!