Forum > Post-Apocalyptic Tales

Dark Future, Gaslands & Zona Alpha

(1/18) > >>

diehard:
Now retired with both cataracts repaired I could finally return to my long time hobby, painting and gaming. I decided to cull my collection down to my Mythos stuff, all my Dark Future stuff (both of which I have a  lot of), my scenery collection and Zombicide as I have some non gamers who like it that I'm hoping to convert.

This also led me back to LAF, the best place on the net for our hobbies. Now the first thing I did after being able to paint again was do up my entire Strange Aeons collection and some associated Mythos stuff. But after a bit of reading on the PA threads brought to my attention Gaslands and Zona Alfa. (ZA because I was a big Necromunda fan way back.)

Now I have just about everything for Dark Future, two of the boxed games, the White Line Fever Supplement, a box of Battle Cars, pretty much duplicates of all the miniatures (with many bikes and trikes) and every White Dwarf with a related article. And then proceeded to never even play the game as I could never find anyone to play with. But I loved the scale and even bought a number of die cast cars to convert.
Which leads me to my question, how does DF stack up to Gaslands rule wise? I'm thinking of a PA set up involving elements of driving and skirmish combat. I love the scale which opens up to a lot of available terrain options already available out there. I could probably make a bit of cash getting rid of my DF stuff but I kept it all these years cause I really always liked it and always hoped to do something with it. So if anyone is familiar with both DF and Gaslands I'd really be interested in hearing your opinions about both plus any observations about ZA or the like at the 20mm scale (or any similar game I may be unaware of.) Thanks for taking the time to read all this nonetheless, I appreciate the consideration.

Mr. White:
I’m also another fan of the Dark Future line who has drug those minis into modern rulesets Gaslands and Zona Alpha.

I have a log of my efforts and thoughts here that you might enjoy:
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=129236.0

diehard:
Hi Jack, thanks for the link to your most interesting and impressive thread. I also went though your blog too, some really cool stuff there. Your PA project is pretty similar to what I had in mind, a sort of Dark Future/Necromunda Mashup. I too really dug the DF 20mm and as I start to focus in on finishing up the projects I want and culling the rest (probably to reinvest in scenery) I decided that I was finally going to do something with them. There's also the bonus of all the 1/72 scenery available. How are the Gaslands rules as opposed to the DF ones? And are you still playing your mash up rules or have you moved on. You did some great work on the factions and the vehicles, very inspiring. Thanks for that too.

Cat:
I too enjoyed Dark Future.  Way back when, I had made Car Wars style turning widgets to be able to take the game off road.  It's been too long since I've played to compare it to any the more recent offerings.  Game design in general has gotten more streamlined since then.

Of the other current game, you might also want to take a look at Maximillian 1934.  I greatly prefer the turning widget in that over the X-Wing style movement templates of Gaslands.  Max34 has been working great for running Wacky Max 1968 with 1/72 Wacky Races minis.
: 3

metalface13:

--- Quote from: Jack Hooligan on April 17, 2022, 01:45:09 PM ---I’m also another fan of the Dark Future line who has drug those minis into modern rulesets Gaslands and Zona Alpha.

I have a log of my efforts and thoughts here that you might enjoy:
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=129236.0

--- End quote ---

You've found your kindred spirit!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version