Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:13:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690842
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: sticky's in the how to forum  (Read 3268 times)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
sticky's in the how to forum
« on: September 21, 2009, 10:47:50 AM »
Is it just me or are we slowly starting to have too many of them and need to scroll down half the board to get to the new topics?

It's all fine for the generic topics that we can all use, regardless of setting (like stripping, taking pictures, making water, ...), but a few of those sticky's seem very specific (like the coaster/trawler, the submarine threads,...) and I fail to see what separates them from some other threads and why they need to remain up there at all times.

I'd like to suggest toning it down a bit and just keeping the general threads as sticky's.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Re: sticky's in the how to forum
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 11:13:02 AM »
I feel as if I am getting picked on  :'((there both my threads :'( ) ;)

No seriously I don’t have a problem with them becoming unsticky. ( is that a word ???)
I never put them there in the first place it was the board moderator.(Thanks moderator :D for dropping me in it  :-[)
I have had a fair few people telling me the posts were very useful for there own projects, which have usually ended up a lot better than my original. (You know who you are  ;))
Personally I like the sticky bits where they are because it saves you having to search through the whole forum to find a subject you were interested in, usually a very specific item!
But I really don’t see the issue at the moment. There is only a single page on the "how to" board so it is hardly a lot of effort to scroll down to the bottom. If it starts to spread out further we could set a limit and have a vote on which ones stay or the moderator could decide.
As for new stuff, most of that appears on the “workbench” board not the “how to” board.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 11:48:05 AM »
I'm sorry, I just took those two as an example and they are fine threads indeed, it just seems there's a tendency to overstickify that in the long run will become a problem (as in the whole first page will be sticky's and the new stuff will be the second page...). ;)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 12:15:38 PM »
The decisions about what ends up in How to.. has so far been completely delegated to me. I have up till recently been quite haphazard about it, using no more than the "I like it" principle.

Just a little while ago, for reasons wk is mentioning, I posted a few principles on the Moderator board (hidden), which, in short, states I'd like to have general posts of high quality in the How to... and I'd like to keep it to one page. Posts pertaining to specific eras will be moved to BoB, Swashbuckling... or remain unstuck in Workbench.

The response I've gotten from some other moderators (including Alex) range from "you have too many stickies" to "let How to.. " branch out in subdirectories. I like the last suggestion but I see no immediate need for it since I don't find it difficult to scroll through the current less than one page of stickies. With the current influx of excellent posts I may have to revise this soon.

Finally,but a bit unrelated to what wk posts, Alex has given the moderators quite free hands to manage 'our' boards with only the general rules for the LAF. Beyond that I am sure we all do our best to keep them within the spirit of Lead Adventure, but I feel it would take quite a lot to get Alex to reprimand us. If any of you feel left out or or that your Workbench post go past unnoticed feel free to say so in whichever way you feel comfortable with. I try to scan Workbench everyday but it is quite possible that I ignore posts I should pay attention to out of sloth, jealousy, disinterest or what ever vice you can think of. But I don't want to complicate matter much more than this. I don't like the idea of votes. Just add in a post or PM that you'd like to see something moved to 'How to...' and I'll consider it.

With the most nurturing and caring intent,
your Hammers
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 12:18:39 PM by Hammers »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 12:26:39 PM »
Is it just me or are we slowly starting to have too many of them and need to scroll down half the board to get to the new topics?

It's all fine for the generic topics that we can all use, regardless of setting (like stripping, taking pictures, making water, ...), but a few of those sticky's seem very specific (like the coaster/trawler, the submarine threads,...) and I fail to see what separates them from some other threads and why they need to remain up there at all times.

I've been considering this to and I have done some pruning. The reason some of the more specific boards remain is that they've attracted a lot of interest and also show how to use certain materials in a particularly clever way.

I'd like to suggest toning it down a bit and just keeping the general threads as sticky's.

Let me also add that I created How to.. as a repository for stickies.  I don't think the software allows for locking it for members to post in even if that was its original purpose.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 12:56:22 PM »
Ah well, but if it's a repository for stickies they might as well all be stickies and if all are, then none have to be. ;)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 12:57:30 PM »
But well, it was just a thought that struck me upon visiting the board. Don't mind me, I don't have any vested interest here. ;)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 01:09:52 PM »
Ah well, but if it's a repository for stickies they might as well all be stickies and if all are, then none have to be. ;)

True.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 01:13:08 PM »
But well, it was just a thought that struck me upon visiting the board. Don't mind me, I don't have any vested interest here. ;)

Fair enough. It was sort of a coincident that you brought it up since I have been talking about it with some moderators so I had thoughts ready to post.  :)