Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:09:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690589
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Demon's Whip (Ral, Lord of the Balrogs, Ethereals and Vampires [PICS]  (Read 2297 times)

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
Black candles slowly burning
White fangs and flashing eyes
Hell's wind and incantations
Summon living fire

Hail adventurers! It has been nearly a year since my last addition to my undead army. In retrospect I hardly painted a thing in 2021 and spent most of my hobby time on creating a storage system for my painted models instead. Fortunately, after that was done I set about to finally paint Ral, Lord of the Balrogs (Ral Partha 1985). Because I couldn't stand him being alone I added some other odds and ends from my undead. These were mostly ethereals of which I had few painted. The result I present to you, group picture first:

I painted the Balrog, four ghosts, three vampires, two wights and three wraiths, one of whom is large. Let's start with the Balrog.

Ral, Lord of the Balrogs was released by Ral Partha in 1985 as a tenth anniversary model. I picked him up years ago on ebay, but he's still available if you fancy him. He's a detailed sculpt by Tom Meier with a very 80's aesthetic. He has fire for hair, a fiery blade and a whip. I had to decide on a skin colour first and I decided on black skin to contrast the flames. It was simply the most smoking choice.

After simply drybrushing the skin I painted the fiery parts white, then yellow and orange. I made the colours more intense with orange ink. From orange I added black for the tips of the flames. I like using orange and black for flames (rather than white, yellow and red) as it makes the flames look more like a wood fire. The black also gives the flames a see-through look. I bled the orange into the non-flaming parts of the model to give the impression of light reflecting, and also because a hard contract simply looks wrong.

The armour was painted in the same recipe as my undead to tie him in: rusty for the iron and verdigris for the brass. In third edition Warhammer, liches have access to deamonic spells and so could theoretically summon a greater demon. It seemed only fitting to make him part of my army. The scaly loincloth was painted in green highlighted with yellow. This gives the same hues as the verdigris and brass and so doesn't detract from the rest of the model. The whip was also left in neutral colours. During assembly I snipped some parts from his integral base and pushed the legs a little more inward. That way I could fit him on a 50mm square base.

In 1993 Gary Morley single-handedly sculpted a near-complete range of 4th edition undead models (except the plastic skeletons and monsters). As much as I love the third edition aesthetic these models have been among those longest in my possession. It seemed only right to finally paint them for my army. My previous efforts to paint his models were also enjoyable enough and I was pleased with the results.

These models here are the original Vlad and Isabella von Carstein. After a lot of consideration (and I do mean a lot) I decided to paint Vlad in the colours of Christopher Lee's depiction of Dracula (Horror of Dracula). This meant all black (three different shades mind you), a red inner cloak and a white collar. His face even looks like Christopher's, so I had to add the blood and the bloodshot eyes. In the end I couldn't be happier with my colour choice, even though it appears very standard.

For Isabella I settled on something very similar, but I highlighted the black dress with red instead of grey/white and used dark grey as the basis for the cloak and gloves. All the blood drops finish her off.

I want all my undead, inclusing my vampires, to look old, mouldy, rotten and dead. For this effect I dirtied their clothing with thinned paints: brown, green and white. I think it breaks up the large surfaces in a simple way. The pommel on Isabella's dagger was sculpted on after the original was lost in time.

Morley's vampire lord was among my other old models. He looks suspiciously like Mark Gibbons' fantastic Mannfred von Carstein artwork, so I always felt this was him. I suppose the model had a dual function, much like one of the mummies which was equipped the same as Settra. I wanted something different for him than red and black. Because the cloak is so massive I decided it should be black so it wouldn't stand out so much. For the robes I settled on purple and I highlighted the black with purple to match. The green verdigris and gems contrast nicely and the grey hair makes the head stand out in the dark collar. This vampire seemed more like a wizard (like Mannfred was) and less blood-thirsty, so I painted the eyes my usual orange (rather than red) and painted no blood on the mouth. He reminds me of Udo Kier who played Dracula when he was a lot younger in "Blood for Dracula", but who also gave a great perfromance in "Shadow of the Vampire".

I also had two Marauder Miniatures' Wights which needed some paint, and one of them needing a replacement sword. I gave the model on the right a plastic skeleton sword and built up the handle with some putty. I gave both models Citadel shields to tie them in more with the rest of my army. Moulded Marauder shields might have been more traditional.

The wights didn't have a lot of clothing so I had a bit of a hard time coming up with a suitable colour scheme. In the end I settled for something pretty basic, green and red. The vampire on the other hand had a very inviting cloak and I used it to paint on a spider web motif in grey. It adds some zest without breaking the colour composition.

I also had some ghosts to paint, which was nice because they can be a hoot to include in a third edition army. The models are Citadel, and one Ral Partha. I painted them roughly with white over a black undercoat and then applied multiple layers of washes in black, brown and green. I painted the skin in Citadel Elf Flesh, mixed with some grey, white and green. This is a bit lighter and greener than the skin I'd use for zombies which I think suits ghosts. I also darkened the extremities (eyes, nose, mouth, ears, fingers) to simulate decaying flesh. I think the end result is suitably grisly without looking like they glow in the dark (a look which I don't really want in my army).

Finally we come to a small selection of wraiths, from left to right a Citadel wraith with dagger, a Masquerade Miniatures Dark Angel and a Ral Partha wraith (if I'm not mistaken). They were painted in black with mouldy spots, rusty iron and rotting flesh (Elf Flesh mixed with grey, shaded with brown). Being wraiths I kept their colours straightforward.

I couldn't find any other pictures of this model online so here's another angle. I purchased him around 2001 at Spiel in Essen because I thought he looked cool. He came with a moulded round base but I put him on a square one instead. I'm glad to finally have some sort of use for him.

This concludes this installment. It might not be the most models I've ever painted in a period but they were varied odds and ends and especially for the vampires I took some time to find the right colours. I'm still undecided what my next project will be.

If you want to see how I made the photo booth click on this topic:

Classic undead carrion and samurai! [PICS]
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=131314

If you want to see more pictures of my undead in general follow these links:
Aurora Mortuorum, (classic) undead zombies, characters and zombie dragon [PICS]
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=127858

Undead liche masters, war rhino and colossal skeleton [PICS]
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=125330

Classic undead dragon riders [PICS]
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=121839

More classic undead: pre-slotta Citadel, War Wagon, Necrodrake, monsters [PICS]
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=120846

Pictures of my army:
https://imgur.com/gallery/qGwakyw
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Online beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Great work. Love the black noses on the vampires. Great idea.
Love that Vampire lord mini. Have him stashed away somewhere.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Lovely Undead vibe you have there.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
What a great set of figures. From the stand-out of the balrog to the cool but subtle wraiths at the end.

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
 Nice work; love the Balrog, it's a cracking mode, painted well.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
MANOWAR !!!  :D

I love where this is going!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
great stuff!

figures I don't recall seeing before - loads of character.
detailed painting notes are excellent - thanks.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Brill  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
The flame effects on the sword are fantastic
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline DalyDR

• Librarian
The ghosts look especially good, very much like mummified remains, or the dead left exposed in high, dry and windy places.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
That is some great painting work done there.
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
Thanks all for the kind words!

Great work. Love the black noses on the vampires. Great idea.
Love that Vampire lord mini. Have him stashed away somewhere.

He was a joy to paint after I worked out the colour scheme. I use the blackened extremities also on zombies and liches, but is also gives the vampires a somewhat bestial look :)

The flame effects on the sword are fantastic

I went for a glowing metal look and didn't use metallic paints. The metal parts were left a bit duller than the flames with a light drybrush of orange mixed with black. The effect is better because the runes on the blade are recessed.

The ghosts look especially good, very much like mummified remains, or the dead left exposed in high, dry and windy places.

These models have a very obvious texture (lots of folds and holes) which rewards a rough/sloppy paint job, as the details are easily picked out by the sculpt.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Great stuff! 8)

Standouts for me are the Balrog and the purple vampire; love what you did with those!
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline March Hare

• Assistant
Very evocative. Love the old school minis.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Lovely work there old chap :-*
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.