Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:40:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690905
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: neatest terrain setup method you've seen? mini-game-esque? Update: Posted Rules!  (Read 2178 times)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Perhaps an idea similar to the Patrol Phase, but instead of placing a jumping off point, you get to place a piece of terrain from the side pile? 
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
Perhaps an idea similar to the Patrol Phase, but instead of placing a jumping off point, you get to place a piece of terrain from the side pile?
That's a good idea in theory, but I havea suspicion it may lead to the same sort of mirror terrain setup as each player chooses terrain piece and placement to most closely counter the opponents placements.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 11:08:36 AM by eilif »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
That's a good idea in theory, but I havea suspicion it may lead to the same sort of mirror terrain setup as each player chooses train and placement to most closely counter the opponents placement.

Also some players will go for unrealistic battlefield terrain, for 'gaming' reasons.
Club I used to frequent had a stock of wooden contour block hills. One, nicknamed
Everest was HUGE!  Intended to go on a flank to block it, however one player placed
it right in the middle of the table, just to frustrate his opponent. made it a complete
non game.
I, if playing games like DBA, small skirmishes etc., where I am host (providing terrain
and troops) will set up a believable looking table (3'x3' or 4'x4') then when guest
arrives I let them have first choice of army/troops AND direction of play.
a) it keeps me fairly honest
b) Saves a great deal of setting up time.
c) Time saved with b) will often lead to a second game where we swap sides & try again.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
That is what makes this topic so challenging. 

Designers have no control over the terrain in people's terrain collections.  Unless they give very specific (and tedious/tiresome) rules about terrain size as well.