Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:33:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Yakult bottles = Nazi Saucers (commissarmoody, this is your fault!)  (Read 4110 times)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Yakult bottles = Nazi Saucers (commissarmoody, this is your fault!)
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2022, 02:46:09 PM »
Great ships mate! 👨🏼‍🚀
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Yakult bottles = Cold War spaceships with a little 3D printing
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2022, 02:46:33 PM »
...I might have to learn to drink Yakult if I can clear some space in my work room for my resin printer. Truly inspiring...
You don't have to; you can always just dump the stuff if it does not agree with you  :D  Or go dumpster diving. Or beg friends and relatives for the empty bottles.

Me personally, I would much rather buy a carton of bottles and pour them; 8 should be more than enough for a small fleet after all...  ;)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline bollix

• Bookworm
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2022, 03:55:01 PM »
You don't have to; you can always just dump the stuff if it does not agree with you  :D  Or go dumpster diving. Or beg friends and relatives for the empty bottles.

Me personally, I would much rather buy a carton of bottles and pour them; 8 should be more than enough for a small fleet after all...  ;)

Meant that largely as a joke, but I will probably try it out for the potential health benefit. I honestly had no clue what Yakult was till I read this thread and looked it up.

On a serious note though, I wonder how rigid these bottles are, it seems like they would not be guaranteed to provide enough rigidity and strength.

Cary

Offline Macrossmartin

• Scientist
  • Hobbies from Other Dimensions!
    • The Miniature Martin Site
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2022, 11:43:36 AM »
On a serious note though, I wonder how rigid these bottles are, it seems like they would not be guaranteed to provide enough rigidity and strength.

Cary

I'd agree with you were it not for the evidence to the contrary these little bottles provide. They are tough! Sure, you can cut through them effortlessly, but they are quite resistant to compression, in both axes. I think it's the 'waist' halfway down the bottle which give it strength.

Also, with the Yakships parts in place, the bottles are even stronger. The resin provides a layer of armour!  :D

A question for all reading this:

With Castles in the Sky getting a bit of a buzz of late, I've wondered about doing a set of steampunk themed Yakships parts. (Thinking more aerial ships than space ships, but there's a lot of room for interpretation there.)

Would that be something of interest to people here?

Also, I have a blank STL model of a Yakult bottle which I use to check parts fit when I'm sculpting. Debating if I should make that freely available, for those absolutely determined to not drink fermented milk!  lol
Operating from an abandoned US spy base somewhere in the Australian outback, Miniature Martin produces games and scale miniatures set in parallel worlds, past and future. He is NOT trying to take over the Earth. This time.

Offline Hummster

• Scientist
    • My blog
Re: Yakult bottles = Nazi Saucers (commissarmoody, this is your fault!)
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2022, 07:57:12 PM »
Nice way to reuse leftover stuff.