Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:31:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689750
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 707
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Contemplating doing The Expanse  (Read 1329 times)

Offline Mark

• Librarian
Contemplating doing The Expanse
« on: June 18, 2022, 11:05:15 PM »
Hi all,

Have been getting into The Expanse on Amazon Prime (I know, 5 years late to the party...) and am idly wondering about some kind of skirmish gaming in the setting.

A quick search did turn up some old threads from several years ago, but was wondering if anyone had actually got into gaming this and if so what rules and miniatures you have used.

I am thinking of 28mm skirmish on ships, planets, stations etc, as I think attempting actual 3d spaceship combat will be far too mathematical for my brain.

Would be great to hear others' thoughts.

Mark

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
Re: Contemplating doing The Expanse
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2022, 12:29:55 AM »
Full Thrust perhaps for ship combat. Almost any sci-fi ruleset could be converted to the Expanse setting. Are you going to be fighting to the proto-molecule or more the fights between Earth, Mars and the Belters? Before or after going through the ring gate and finding new planets - or going on after the final series - as that leaves open lots of new ideas.

Offline gregmita

• Librarian
    • My Gaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2022, 03:46:12 AM »
I can definitely see a sci-fi skirmish game with a team hunting down a proto-molecule killer-child. Any kind of ruleset available should be able to handle that scenario.
There are some decent 3D printable models on Thingiverse for the ships:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2060051

They can be shrunk down for tabletop size for ship-to-ship gaming. You'll need a ruleset that allows Newtonian/vector movement. Voidstriker is a good compromise I think, without having to go into the insane detail of something like Attack Vector: Tactical.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2022, 04:30:03 AM »
That sounds cool. A few different factions as mentioned, Earth, Mars, Belters. Different stats for each due to their "homeworld" envirnoments and the protomolecule could be part of a random encounter or something all three are fighting against or for. Even lots of subfactions within them too I'd imagine. Been a while since I saw the tv series, started on the books though, interesting reading.

Offline Mark

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 01:03:46 PM »
I was thinking of small scale skirmishes as that's what you see in the TV show (haven't got around to the books yet). I had a look at 5150  Star Marine from THW as it includes some rules for zero and low gravity settings, but I can't say it fully grabbed me. Maybe Pulp Alley might work, based on figure count and the narrative nature meaning it isn't just about the dakka dakka... would probably also easily bring in the protomolecule as a scenario event as suggested. Other candidates I am thinking of are Stargrave, possibly original Necromunda?

Miniatures wise, I think the Cannon Fodder from Wargames Atlantic would work well for a lot of basic types due to their sci fi jumpsuits. Would need some different heads from somewhere though, and possibly some weapons. The sprue also has heads in vac suit helmets that would be helpful for zero g or hostile/low atmosphere.

I wasn't even considering ship to ship combat, but gregmita's comment sent me down a rabbit hole looking at Voidstriker! It looks interesting, but there's probably more bookkeeping and prep involved than I really want to commit to for a small side project! Maybe one day...

Offline Wachaza

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2022, 02:44:51 PM »
Actual licensed RPG with free quickstart rules:

https://greenroninstore.com/collections/the-expanse-rpg

Offline The_Baron

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2022, 12:42:16 PM »
Mark I did try this myself, and have been slowly chipping away at my builds. I think something like 5 parsecs would be perfect, or yes pulp alley as it allows for some thrilling heroics. Make sure to check out the Sleipnir 3d model too
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=128771.msg1629846#msg1629846

My Blog: http://returntologansworld.blogspot.com.au/
Empire of the Dead, Strange Aeons, Old-School Fantasy and Rogue Trader, 15mm ATZ

Offline ithoriel

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2022, 03:06:16 PM »
5 Parsecs would indeed be good for an Expanse game. If I hadn't already built a collection of 20mm/Gaslands scale figures I'd have gone with 15mm figures. And if I hadn't already spent over half a century developing my own background I'd have gone with The Expanse.

Khurasan, Alternative Armies, GZG, CP Models  and The Scene would be my go to for figures.
There are 100 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data.

Offline PeteW

• Scientist
  • Comfortably Numb
    • Pete Wenman Aviation Art
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2022, 08:06:43 PM »

Mark hi

Wish I'd found this thread before, as I've just posted an almost identical post myself.

I plan on using mainly Anvil Industy figures and to play on 0-hr spaceship plans for that onboard feel using the Five Parsec from Home rules, but with a bunch of house rules for detailed onship actions -opening doors, hacking etc

Look forward to seeing how you move things forward, and you to Baron.

P

P