Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:25:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Rowville Run: Insurgent Earth AAR (Update 29 June)  (Read 3746 times)

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
Re: Rowville Run: Insurgent Earth AAR (Update 29 June)
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2022, 05:17:19 AM »
Just picked up the rules. Fascinating stuff and want to try it out soon. I love the narrative and roleplaying elements.

Have you played Sellswords and Spellslingers? It is a cooperative fantasy game and am working on a sci-fi variant. It has a great "when you fail to activate, the foes do something " mechanic

Offline frd

• Bookworm
  • 15mm of madness
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2022, 11:51:27 PM »
Really like the idea of a resistance cell fighting for survival, but I don't really have stuff for near future sci-fi. Are the rules are very setting dependent, or would it be relatively easy to use them for something like a WW2 resistance cell?

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2022, 11:57:36 AM »
frd - the core rules/framework is simple enough but the book presumes an OPFOR of alien invaders and more modern/NF tech.  That said, several players have run IE in a Weird War II setting.

Burgundavia - I bought S & S but never got around to playing it. Lots of folks like it. I'm just too busy with my own projects, I guess. 

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2022, 01:06:23 PM »
No idea how I manged to miss this thread :-[

I've wanted to do something along the lines of Falling Skies for a while, so I shall give these a look. On the bright side, I should already have most of the figures I need for it :D

Offline frd

• Bookworm
  • 15mm of madness
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2022, 02:55:12 AM »
@Dentatus Thanks for answering. I got the game before you answered because I thought I could mine it for ideas for my campaign... which actually is weird war-ish, I just asked about normal ww2, because if it could do that, it could also do weird ;)

Only read the rules so far, but I'm liking what I see so far.

...and I think if you'd squint a bit (and explain some stuff in narrative, like the aerial surveillance with some unit stationed nearby noticing the player characters), you can play straight up resistance vs occupant ww2 scenarios :)

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2022, 05:15:01 PM »
I think I've found a use for the Robomen, Ogrons, Dalek Troopers and Daleks in my collection!  lol

Offline Psychopomp

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2022, 10:32:48 PM »
[stumbles over thread]

"What the h-  Wait...hmmm...what?  A Earth resistance vs. alien invaders solo/coop wargame by the creator of Zona Alfa and Nightwatch?  SOLD!"

[clicks button on Amazon, heads off to closet to dig out dusty case of Mars Attacks figures]

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2022, 03:43:21 AM »
heh... glad you found this.
Let me know if you have any questions.
The new game room is nearly complete. I should be back to regular gaming next week.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2022, 01:58:21 PM »
[clicks button on Amazon, heads off to closet to dig out dusty case of Mars Attacks figures]

I bought in from Wargames Vault at the weekend, lamenting the lack of a POD option. I never even thought to check Amazon :'(

Planning to send to Dox Direct, as their B&W prices are pretty reasonable

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2022, 02:25:22 AM »
I bought in from Wargames Vault at the weekend, lamenting the lack of a POD option. I never even thought to check Amazon :'(

Planning to send to Dox Direct, as their B&W prices are pretty reasonable

WGV seems to run into considerable and random delays with their POD service. I've found it more expedient to offer PDF at WGV and let Amazon do POD.

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2022, 12:21:48 PM »
As someone who has Nightwatch & Exploit Zero, I'm famialiar with how the enemy forces increase in number and difficulty. How many 'enemy' figures would I need for a game of Insurgent Earth?

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2022, 01:16:21 PM »
As someone who has Nightwatch & Exploit Zero, I'm famialiar with how the enemy forces increase in number and difficulty. How many 'enemy' figures would I need for a game of Insurgent Earth?

IE has different tiers of enemies but doesn't have waves of incoming each turn. Invader reinforcements are more measured, triggered by players' actions, so there are less figs needed.
You can run the first five missions in the book with two dozen figs. That total includes 5 Resistance player characters/fighters.

Offline Psychopomp

• Librarian
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2022, 04:19:58 PM »
My book came in Friday, and I've finished the initial skim-through and I'm most of the way through a full read.  So far, I'm very, very impressed.

The system is clicking more with this setting/genre than it did with Nightwatch.  It's really firing up the imagination.  I caught myself mentally writing a new enemy Task Force to simulate a group of enemies with their own mission to do on the board, along with a Threat counter mechanic to add peril to letting them finish.  All before finishing the rules or playing my first game!

That's usually a good sign of a game that will have some teeth in my rotation, for me...