Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:04:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Sogdians?  (Read 1643 times)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Sogdians?
« on: June 10, 2022, 04:51:39 PM »
Hello all,

So, I was doing some research on the foes of the Archamaenid Persians and I found some interesting work about Persian art depicting battle.  The most frequent foe found on some of these Persian medals were central-asian Sogdians.  Apparently in the artwork, they wore the distinctive national garb of these folks. 

However, I will be the first to admit that I know very little about the military history of the Sogdians.  Can anyone point me to a decent source of information?  Links, books, articles, etc would all be appreciated.  I also wouldn't mind some info on potential miniature lines in 6mm or 28mm as well.   

Thanks in advance! 

Oh yeah, for those interested, this was the PDF and work I was reading:
https://www.academia.edu/2765593/_Enemies_of_Empire_A_Historical_Reconstruction_of_Political_Conflicts_between_Central_Asians_and_the_Persian_Empire
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
    • Ancient Hellenistic Battles mostly
Re: Sogdians?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2022, 06:46:44 PM »
Some of the best visuals of Sogdians.

Joan Francesc Oliveras Pallerols
digital artist & illustrator
Manresa, Spain
jfoliveras.artstation.com

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/zAwRgL
JJonas

Offline MGH

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 02:39:09 PM »
That gentleman's artwork is superb!  Sadly the right hand description of his art gets covered in two seconds by ads so you can't read about the picture. Still, nice site. Enjoyed that.

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 10:13:25 PM »
The only text I can see is:
Spitamenes
Spitamenes was a Sogdian warlord and leader of the uprising against Alexander the Great in Bactria and Sogdiana, Central Asia.

Offline Jjonas

• Scientist
  • Ancient Modeler
    • Ancient Hellenistic Battles mostly
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2022, 03:37:17 AM »
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ybmDwJ

His painting of Oxyartes rocks.

Sogdians fighting with spara shield:
https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Sogdian-costume-at-the-turn-of-the-BCE-CE-eras-1-Sogdians-fighting-with-the-Yuezhi_fig1_358729342

The paintings by Eugene Kray are excellent for Scythian/Sogdian reference, and are all over the internet:

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2022, 02:10:14 PM »
Great, thank you all.

I will also review Alexander's campaign into the region and see what I dig up about how they fought as well.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2022, 04:14:56 PM »
So, it seems like the Sogdians have a mixed force of infantry and cavalry, with a heavy emphasis on horse archers in their cavalry.  As a semi-Nomadic people at the time, this mix is not uncommon. 

That said, I am basing this Horse Archer preference on Alexander's campaigns BUT those were an alliance between the Sogdians and the Scythians, which may have artificially shifted my perception of the Sogdian forces composition. 

Clearly, they used a strong infantry component as they took to a fortress at The Sogdian Rock.  Of course, it could have been a dismounted cavalry force BUT cavalry only forces typically do not wish to give up their mobility by holing up in a fortress.   

The Spara as shown on the rug JJonas shared, and that makes sense as the Sogdians were conscripted into the Archamaenid Persian army when they were part of it.  It also seems to lend further evidence that the Sogdians had an infantry arm to their forces and were more than just horse archers.  However, I might be over reaching. 

Like I said to start this thread.  I know very little about the Sogdians in general.     

Offline Wellington

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2022, 07:49:31 AM »
Not much information about this topic.

The fact that the Sogdians are based at the cities of central asia, its very likly that at least a kind of city militia is existing.
A life without Samurai is possible, but not desirable!

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2022, 01:57:59 PM »
I’m wondering if those new horse archers that Victrix gave us a sneak peak of last month would work?
A millionaire trapped in a peasants body!

Offline Psychlic Bob

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2022, 11:44:56 AM »
Look for Parthian types with a brow fillet not caps/helmets, wrap over short jacket, baggy trousers with boots. There are illustrations of flowing waist sashes with three bells attached

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2022, 08:38:32 PM »
Might be a good use for the “imaginative “ Old Glory Exotic Achaemenid infantry. I have always thought of these as remote eastern satraps and allies...

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2022, 09:27:11 PM »

Adam is on to something there.  I remember a long time ago thinking about doing something like that but had forgotten!