Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:42:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689605
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 610
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sassanians  (Read 5029 times)

Offline Arche Seleukeia

• Bookworm
Re: Sassanians
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2022, 03:39:26 PM »
That royal banner is a work of art!  :-* Under no circumstances must it be changed  :D

Offline DalyDR

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2022, 02:33:07 AM »
A couple of units of Iranian light cavalry.  I might go back and do something else with the shields on these guys, they're kind of plain, just red.

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2022, 03:23:24 AM »
A great looking army, a big fan of the Sassanids I built mine for the mid third century. I like the shield solution for the archers though, I think I will revisit my archers and do something similar. I used the Phil Hendry large shields for my guards along with aventine miniatures so they looked completely different from my city militia

I used a mix of A&A and Aventine for my army and still have two infantry units and one elephant to complete them, as a majority of my army is mounted around 60 figures.

cheers
Matt

Offline Mithridates1

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2022, 08:59:56 AM »
Great looking Sassanids.   Love those globe hats!    Makes me want to take my old Hinchliffes out of their doldrums - after years of inaction and storage they need some TLC.   New spears/LBMS Banners, basing and touch up painting.    Shame Hinchliffe elephants are dwarfed by Aventines but that's progress.

Also have some Gripping Beast mounted chaps.  Mainly as Generals, though Aventine make some fine ones as well.   I did like the block of 50 levy under WRG.   Took a lot of beating.   Will use Aventine's heavy infantry for the regular infantry and have some Essex Daylami to paint as well. 

Look forward to more posts and I did like that Royal Banner.

Garry

Offline DalyDR

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2022, 01:22:56 PM »
Yet more spearmen with globe-shaped chapeaux.  A smaller unit this time, only 32, militia from some other city that was on the line of march and dragged out to swell the army's ranks, no doubt!  I shamelessly copied the banner from the one in the old Gripping Beast advertisement (their old web catalog images were so much better than the current ones, I think), a simple design but I believe it's one of the better looking ones I've done.

Offline DalyDR

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2022, 02:43:04 PM »
Elephant #2.  This is actually the older elephant of the two, and has been used in more than a few games.  He hasn't done much for me though, and in fact lost a game in rather spectacular fashion when he lost a combat and proceeded to trample my general, whom I had unwisely placed just behind the panicked pachyderm. 

I added shields to the archers in the howdah here as well, although this time they're not thumbtacks but rather some leftovers from another army project.

I especially like the peacock head shield on one of the crew.

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2022, 09:46:21 PM »
Great looking infantry and elephant!

Cheers
Matt

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2022, 05:21:50 AM »
I really love this army. I have wanted to collect a Sassanid army in 28mm ( I have a small 15mm force) but have held off in a effort to control my ever increasing mountain of shame.

Offline Bowman

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2022, 04:31:11 PM »

Yeah, I was thinking of that poor chap Peroz though………. Based on my own past record in WAB, that seems like a likely end for my guys as well . . .

Ahh, you just need to play me……..

Your Royal Guard look great. The Gripping Beast regular troops are truly lovely figures.
"This I have known ever since I stretched out my fingers to the abomination within that great gilded frame; stretched out my fingers and touched a cold and unyielding surface of polished glass." 

H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Offline DalyDR

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2022, 07:44:58 PM »
A unit of regular clibanarii.  The rear ranker on the far right has what appears to be a chicken emblem on his shield, which was not the original intent, but that's how it turned out . . .  ::)

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
Re: chicken shield
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2022, 04:21:04 AM »
Every ancients player has had to get used to fierce Thracians with smiley faces on their peltas. What's a chicken or two?

Those are a wonderful lot of cavalry, and intimidating painting.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2022, 10:19:29 AM »
What a superb looking collection of toy sowjers, well done that man, very impressive!

:-*
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline DalyDR

• Librarian
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2022, 12:13:09 PM »
Another unit of clibanarii.  Their drummer lost a drumstick somewhere along the way, and I replaced it with a sword.  That's about the extent of my ability to modify figures.

Offline DalyDR

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2022, 10:50:06 PM »
Two units of skirmishing archers.  I might go back and add some shields to these guys as well, as that's how I tended to equip them from the army lists.

Offline DalyDR

• Librarian
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2022, 12:22:16 PM »
And another unit of clibanarii.