Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:44:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689506
  • Total Topics: 118282
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sassanians  (Read 5026 times)

Offline Arche Seleukeia

• Bookworm
Re: Sassanians
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2022, 05:26:02 PM »
Lovely  :-*

Offline DalyDR

• Librarian
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2022, 11:02:25 PM »
And the last* unit!  This was the last one painted, and I think maybe the best work I did on this project.  I don't think the photo quite does it justice.  Anyway, some skirmishing horse archers.  They're on the newer horses GB now uses, and they're nice enough but I think perhaps a bit large for nomads' mounts, something a little more pony-ish might be more appropriate?  I added thumbtack shields to these figures and tried to paint them in a natural hide type color, loosely based on the colors seen on Persian gazelles, as using black-and-white cowhide pattern seemed like it wasn't a likely thing for them . . . ?

* I've got 10 or so of those veiled desert tribesmen from GB's discontinued "Desert Frontier" range that I might add, but I need to find some more of those rough hide type shields that some of them came with, as I don't want to use the more Sudanic (?) versions with which half came equipped.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2022, 08:04:21 AM »
Lovely stuff. I am just prepping some A&A Sasanians now, and these are a healthy dose of inspiration. As you might guess from the username, I have something of an obsession with the Sasanians, but this will be the first 28mm version I have done - definitely no globe hats though...  hope they turn out as nicely as yours.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2022, 09:43:44 AM »
Chaps, I’ve followed this thread with interest. Great work. I too have a big GB Sassanid army, together with one of Aventine’s superb “command” elephants.

I am just about to buy an Aventine 6th/early 7th century Byzantine army so I can fight the wars of Belisarius and Heraclitus.

Offline DalyDR

• Librarian
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2022, 03:15:25 AM »
And an overall (mediocre) army shot:

Plus a few goofs:

Offline duivelindoosje

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2022, 09:17:40 AM »
a huge inspiration, well done

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2022, 12:33:01 PM »
Fabulous loving the clibanarii. What a fantastic looking army.

cheers
Matt

Offline timyeh

• Student
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2022, 12:07:34 AM »
I think you are too hard on yourself. Everything looks great especially the banners. I am now totally inspired to get my GB Sassanids out and paint them. 

Offline DalyDR

• Librarian
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2022, 05:34:37 PM »
I think you are too hard on yourself. Everything looks great especially the banners. I am now totally inspired to get my GB Sassanids out and paint them.

Thanks so much for the kind comment.  I actually think I do alright painting-wise, I'm generally quite happy with my results (I don't know about that one banner though . . .)  There are so many super-talented painters here on LAF that it can be a bit daunting, to my mind, to go ahead and share my own efforts.  If doing so encourages anyone else to forge ahead with their own project(s), that's an awfully good thing to have happen!

Offline arshak

• Assistant
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2022, 10:40:31 PM »
Very nicely painted army, and who does not love cataphracts??!!
Also nicely done standards, the senmurv is a very fine touch of class. Of course we do not have a lot on Sasanian standards, in particular if they used large flag-like ones, so we have to somehow take some license, but I would suggest to have a look to Sasanian glyptics for possible designs. Amongst the subjects used on Sasanian seals, devices normally described as monograms are common, and they could be a nice source for motifs. Some are very elaborate, some contain letters, some are very simple, going back to things similar to the so-called frawahr symbol, which is found occasionally on several visual media, most importantly on the caparison of Ardashir’s horse in the relief celebrating his victory over Artabanus at Firuzabad. Similar devices are at times visible on the dignitaries’ headgear, too (at Naqsh-e Rajab, for example).
At any rate, a search on the internet for Sasanian seal monogram should already give an idea, and then one can move from there…

Offline miros

• Bookworm
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2022, 10:09:55 PM »
A fantastic army, I especially like your work on the shields and banners.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2022, 10:35:13 PM »
Congrats on finishing a project!  Always a great feeling!

They look great!
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Wellington

• Scientist
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2022, 08:44:51 AM »
Nice work!

A life without Samurai is possible, but not desirable!

Offline Vis Bellica

• Scientist
    • Vis Lardica
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2022, 07:13:28 AM »
Lovely army.

This has inspired me to finish re-basing my Sassanids!

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2022, 10:27:34 PM »
Nicely done!