Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:32:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dux Britanniarum Questions  (Read 883 times)

Offline markdienekes

• Bookworm
Dux Britanniarum Questions
« on: May 06, 2022, 12:43:58 PM »
Hey, after some recent suggestions from the fine folks here, I've picked this game up, but there are a few things that I'm struggling to grasp (you'll have to forgive my simple mind...)

The main issue is wealth, and how it works. I'm wondering how it works with a level I already have. Say I already had a Tribunes Tribute, and won a tribunes tribute in a battle, what position on the table would that raise me to? An extra 3 positions from Tribunes Tribute to a Princes Chest, or just one place? And say if I spent a tribune's tribute, and didn't make any money, would that mean i would have an empty purse, or if I just spend a beggar's bowl, it would drop me down one level?

Also, the career path is a little hard to follow. There are dashes on some of the options on the tables and I was wondering what that meant? Some things tell you the cost, whilst others just have the line.

Anyhow, thanks for your time and help!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 12:46:11 PM by markdienekes »

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
Re: Dux Britanniarum Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 03:07:02 PM »
Assuming you chose the British career path you start out as Tribune or Lord.

To get to the next level Praefectus you need 3 gold ( we used talents as the currency denominator)
Once a Praefectus you need 1 talent to build a watchtower in each of your provinces, plus another 3 to rise to the level of Legatus.

This is where it becomes interesting because as Legatus you can actually have two ( 2) units of Elite ( Comanipulares)soldiers. You don't have to pay for these as this promotion is the result of a good raid or battle. (That's what the dashes mean) If you were still a Tribune and one of your units would be eligible for promotion it would have to be a levy (Numeri)  to warrior( Milites)  whereas a Legatus you can promote a warrior (Milites)  group to Comanipulares.
Whether you live in a villa or palace has no - tactical- meaning in the game. Just narrative.

We've played three multiplayer campaigns and found out the following. The most "interesting"  British position is Comes. While you can't kill your King to become king yourself, it's the most powerful position.
The add- on book "Raiders" not only introduce the Irish, Scotti and Welsh but also heavy shock cavalry for the British. While very powerful they are mostly a "one- shot wonder" but can definitely turn a battle if used properly. Combined with the right cards they can generate an enormous number of attack dice.
Mounted skirmishers/light cavalry  are extremely annoying/useful ( depending on which side they are on ;-) )

Without wanting to add to your confusion, but if you introduce the add -on "Now That's What I Call Magic" the game gets another dimension. "It's not  "magic" in the real sense of the (fantasy) word but more like religion, which in those days had strong effect on people.  It's in one of the Lard Magazines. Having a Priest, Bishop, Wicca, Druid or Holy Man can make a huge difference. Mind you, they will also cost you, but are very useful in creating artefacts and/or rallying troops.

Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline markdienekes

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2022, 09:39:04 AM »
Thanks, looks really interesting, already trying to pick a force from footsore.

I was also wondering, how easy is it for your lord to actually die in combat? Is he dead if he is taken out in a raid or battle? From what I can see he isn't just removed from battle, but is actually dead! (I may have to get the hardback rules, as the pdf on a phone isn't the best, haha.)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 09:55:39 AM by markdienekes »

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2022, 06:02:02 PM »
In our last campaign only one Lord actually died in combat, out of 9 players. 87 Raids and 9 battles.
Then again we were using the "magic" add- on so most Lords had Life Sustaining Amulets ( negating their first wound etc) and most had a Wicca, Abbot or Druid at their disposal, that actually gave a 50% chance of "resurrecting" a dead Lord or Noble.