Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:10:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686619
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Valentine Baker’s uniform  (Read 890 times)

Offline Jack Jones

• Scientist
    • Sands of Soudan
Valentine Baker’s uniform
« on: May 06, 2022, 06:34:05 PM »
Hi All

I am wondering how to paint Baker’s uniform for the period he was with Graham’s Suakin field force.

I have the Perry Miniatures’ miniature.

Suggestions will be gratefully received.

Cheers
JJ

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Valentine Baker’s uniform
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 07:27:46 PM »
That's Valentine Baker in the middle right methinks JJ:

Offline Jack Jones

• Scientist
    • Sands of Soudan
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 07:49:45 PM »
Hi Atheling

Well … not according to how the figures are tagged (names moulded to their feet). These make Hicks on the left, Slatin in the middle, and Baker on the right.

Go Strong into the Desert has a plate of Baker in a similar uniform, but white, with a red turban, from the Tokar expedition.

But I am wondering about the uniform worn later … might it have been blue or khaki?

Cheers
JJ

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 09:17:35 PM »
Hi Atheling

Well … not according to how the figures are tagged (names moulded to their feet). These make Hicks on the left, Slatin in the middle, and Baker on the right.

Odd that they would present the names in a different order on their website; Hicks Pasha, Baker Pasha & Slatin Pasha

Go Strong into the Desert has a plate of Baker in a similar uniform, but white, with a red turban, from the Tokar expedition.

But I am wondering about the uniform worn later … might it have been blue or khaki?

Cheers
JJ

I would always defer to Mike Snook on uniforms. I'm trying to think back to my reading, done several years ago, but nothing springs to mind. My books are all packed up at the mo' too :(

You can probably be a little loose and free to a degree with high ranking officers uniforms especially on campaign.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 09:19:15 PM by Atheling »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2022, 12:30:06 AM »
Not sure how helpful but my recollection is white was the summer uniform and blue was the winter uniform but I have no idea if that breaks down season wise with what you are asking.  Though how different summer and winter is in that part of the planet seems not sufficient to justify different uniforms.  But then I didn't think it got that cold in Florida but it sure did when I was in boot camp in Orlando all those many years ago - plenty cold.

And the coldest I ever felt was in the high desert of Southern California, again a couple of score years ago. 

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2022, 09:20:51 AM »
Unfortunately, the fashion among Egyptian officers seems to have been to mostly wear the blue winter uniform, whatever the time of year. There seems to have been no strict policy of enforcing seasonal wear. British officers in Egyptian service would likely be a law unto themselves in the field, too, so the fact it was winter doesn't really help us, I fear. I'd be tempted to use the colour scheme from the Mike Snook book. It's the outfit that the Perry figure seems to be wearing, and you can't really rule out the possibility that he wore the same one as before, unless anybody has better info. It was only a few weeks later.

The nearest to a Sudanese winter I have ever been was Upper Egypt in January. Just about the coldest part of the year there. The locals were complaining of the cold and wearing sweaters, this boy from northern Europe had never felt hotter (it was pretty chilly at night, though).

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Jack Jones

• Scientist
    • Sands of Soudan
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2022, 09:53:33 AM »
Thanks everyone.

I was wondering much the same about the seasonal differences.

I was considering the white uniform, but I have painted his mount as a Turkoman Arab (he had a penchant for these, apparently) … so a blue uniform would make a good contrast …

I shall cogitate.

Cheers
JJ