Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:04:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Trigan Empire war gaming  (Read 5818 times)

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
Re: Trigan Empire war gaming
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2022, 08:57:52 AM »
Great memories of this comic. Published in weekly comic magazine Sjors in the 70ies. Villain Darak's red jet fighter must have been one  of the first paper toys I ever scratchbuilt.

I have long entertained the idea to wargame the Trigan Empire. A mix of barbarian types, fantasy, Romans and WW2 types equipped with rayguns would seem about right.
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline Sgt_T

• Scientist
    • Toomuchterrain
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2022, 03:19:54 PM »
Great memories of this comic. 

Same here. Read this post and dug up Prisoner of Zerss from my pile of old comic books.
Only dignitaries and military in full dress uniform seem to wear the Roman style outfit. Regular soldiers look more contemporary and could be represented by any (plastic) soldier figures as long as they have non-distinctive webbing and helmets and carry sleek raygun type weapons.

Would the Bolt Action Konflict 47 Italians fit the vibe?
I think so (with some weapon modifications)

Void I-kore Junkers would also work (with modified weapons):
https://www.seb-games.com/store/product-category/void/junkers/

For 'troops' the WA 'cannon fodder' bodies may help you, perhaps with some headswaps.
Indeed, but with rayguns

Of course if you are thinking about encounters with local tribes outside the urban areas of Elekton, then really almost anything goes. You may want to look at Gripping Beast plastics for these.

Transport seems to take place with either (fantastic) beasts of burden or anti-grav vehicles. Much like Star Wars there are not many vehicles with wheels or rotor blades.

Please post pictures if/when you get this project going!

T.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 03:35:56 PM by Sgt_T »

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2022, 12:07:02 PM »
From what I remember of the series, it was only the characters (and maybe some "guards") that dressed like that. The soldiers looked like WW1-to-WW2 (and in-between), with some overlap into the 50's with some of the jets.

I was going to use German WW2 (in the high boots) for Trigans and maybe Japanese for Cato. (The paratroops seem to have the correct helmets IIRC.)

Offline forrester

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2022, 01:44:06 PM »
I remember this very well.
The quality was phenomenal considering it was a childrens' comic. We got Look and Learn and it was always the first item to turn to.
Other old folks might also remember "Jason January, Space Cadet", and one about a schoolboy detective
These started life in "Ranger" which was taken over and absorbed into Look and Learn.
I think it was a conscious effort to go upmarket away from the usual comics printed on bog paper [Lion, Tiger, Hurricane]

I think I probably got my General Studies A Level on the back of reading the history and science articles.

The Trigan Empire was a bizarre mix of Roman dress and high tech. A very distinctive look. The Emperor Trigo and Peric the scientist were in armour and togas and the next generation in flight suits.

It started out as "The Rise and Fall of the Trigan Empire", and initially the premise was that all the stories came from the chronicles carried aboard a Trigan spaceship that crashed on Earth.  That premise was eventually forgotten or at least not referenced.

Why is my head still full of this sort of stuff?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 01:48:38 PM by forrester »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2022, 04:52:27 PM »
Why is my head still full of this sort of stuff?

Because it interests you (& me by the way)  :D

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2022, 05:04:30 PM »
Late to the party, but what a cool aesthetic from a comic I'd never heard of.

If you haven't already settled on minis, Wargames Atlantic might be a good place to start.
https://wargamesatlantic.com/collections/decline-and-fall
I've heard that their sci-fi ranges and historical ranges crossover nicely.  They make Romans and Goths and they also have a number of sci-fi infantry sets (near future, work suited, grimdark, etc) and even a sci-fi infantry weapon sprue that can be purchased separately.  There are also a number of companies that sell separate sprues if you don't want to buy whole boxes.  I purchased a bunch of WGA sprues from McDougall a while back.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2022, 06:12:49 PM »
Just to say I got a message saying Vol 4 is now published..  https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1786185644?

Great stuff. Would love to see how folk tried to model the aesthetic.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2022, 06:23:44 PM »
Work some of the Copplestone little soldiers work? Intentionally non-descript weapons and uniforms.

https://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/list.php?cat=23&page=1