Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:35:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686589
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Out of scale superhero figures?  (Read 2988 times)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Out of scale superhero figures?
« on: May 08, 2022, 12:12:48 PM »
Which superhero figures from common 28/32mm ranges would work with bigger 1/48th scale figures (about 38 - 40mm tall)?

I know some of the Reaper Chronoscope figures can be bigger than they should for 28/32mm but what about Heroclix type plastics? or any other options?

Pulp hero style in preference to Spandex.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Out of scale superhero figures?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 08:19:32 AM »
Knight Games' superhero lines (think Batman) are roughly 32 to 35mm, so are a good deal taller than regular 28s. But they're also very much not heroic, so might look rather weedy...

Same goes for Crisis Protocol I suppose, although those (fittingly) are more heroic that the DC fare.
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Davies

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 10:02:58 AM »
You can give it a try to last Heroclix sets. They are (unfortunately for many of us collectors) much bigger miniatures that old ones. Since House of X, I think.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2022, 10:57:00 AM »
Davies is right. It's why I stopped collecting heroclix minis just before they introduced cards to the game. The range was fairly homogenous then.

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2022, 02:21:38 PM »
Remember that height isn't the only difference if you're using 1/48 model figures.  The models tend to be more realistic, meaning way less chunky than our game miniatures.
Height differences can be addressed with base sizes if you need.

I use 1/48 figures for my Civilian crowds.  You can see some of them on my blog.  The Game minis are from all over. Heroclix, Chronoscope, even Heroscape, so you can see how they compare.

http://fandangoalphaone.blogspot.com/2019/12/kracker-jack-justice-3.html
- Scott

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2022, 02:47:00 PM »
Which superhero figures from common 28/32mm ranges would work with bigger 1/48th scale figures (about 38 - 40mm tall)?

I know some of the Reaper Chronoscope figures can be bigger than they should for 28/32mm but what about Heroclix type plastics? or any other options?

Pulp hero style in preference to Spandex.

Tall is relative depending on hairstyle and headgear (espeically with heroes...) but as a general rule, 1:48 scale figures should be around 33-35 mm sole to eyeline.  The previous iteration of Heroclix  was actually spot on for this (probably about a decade's worth as early Heroclix were closer to 28/30mm) until the recent size hike a year or so ago that sent them to 40mm and up. 

37mm is 1:43 (European O Gauge), and 40mm is 1/40 .

I did a post about all this related to American O Gauge (1:48) railroading you might find interesting.  There are more than a few figures in that range that could find a home in a pulp setting and the prices are often quite low.
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/2021/12/heroclix-cheap-painted-148-figures-for.html?m=1
I populate my Christmas Lionel Train layout primarily with unmodified Heroclix removed from their clix base bought for a dollar or less.

If you scroll to the bottom few posts on this page, you can see Heroclix alongside 1:48 O scale model railway figures. Some are nearly indistinguishable.
https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/cheap-prepainted-figures-heroclix?page=1

As has been mentioned,  Reaper Chronoscope vary quite a bit are often in the 32-34mm range.   

It's not so much traditional superheroes, but anything in the dystopian legions and Wild west Exodus lines are going to be around 35mm. Lots of Heroic types and villains with a steampunk vibe

Knight Models Batman and such are generally around 35mm IIRC. I can measure a few if you'd like.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 04:38:59 PM by eilif »

Offline Cusm

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2022, 03:02:03 PM »
You can give it a try to last Heroclix sets. They are (unfortunately for many of us collectors) much bigger miniatures that old ones. Since House of X, I think.

The Wonder Woman 80th is the first/only DC with the new scale. I really hate this change because they have released some great sets. Our house is a huge MCU house and they have released The Eternals and soon a Disney Plus set and there are so many good characters out and coming out, just in the wrong scale.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2022, 09:09:31 PM »
All ideas much appreciated. I will start image searching to see what I can find in those ranges that fits the idea I have for the characters, then worry about the sizing.

Offline Cusm

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2022, 01:52:30 PM »
There are a decade plus of Heroclix in the size range. If you go to Cool Stuff Inc and look at the Heroclix selection they have the sets listed in chronological order so you can see where they lie on release order.

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2022, 11:02:31 PM »
Maybe take a look at some of the "bigger than human" sculpts from Old Glory's Superfigs range, the one they did for Scott Pyle's Supersystem rules.  Scott could probably tell you which ones are around 40mm better than I can at this point, but likely candidates from memory would be:

(under Alien Host)
Krong the Mighty
Warlord Grom

(under Bricks)
Ox (the guy's great for head swaps)
Giantess
Bot
Lord Tridan
Megladon
Krieghunde
Tekton
Perun

(under "New" Zero Foundation - which are around 20 years old now)
Squat (a bit smaller)
the Ego-Bot half of the Mister Cranium and the Ego-Bot pack (Cranium's about 20mm tall)

(under Supers)
The embiggened version of...Atlantis?  That's wrong, the guy's name was Docor Atlas.  He's a size-changer, hence the multiple sculpts.
(The little guy is about 15mm)

(under Zero Foundation - the even older release wave)
Battering Ram.  Images of a painted version and some of the others on my blog:

https://brokenstarsburningships.blogspot.com/2019/11/down-memory-lane-four-color-figures.html

Keep in mind that Old glory Army members get 40% off all the prices listed, which might make signing up for a year worth the $50, especially if you decide you want any of the freebie sets you get to pick when you join.  Me, I'm partial to the modular robot pack, although they are more 28mm scale - examples here:

https://brokenstarsburningships.blogspot.com/2020/01/modular-robot-miniatures-28mm-old-glory.html

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2022, 03:01:19 PM »
That's a good list. Zoya is another Brick who is around 45mm to 50mm tall.

I used to use her as Henchmen for Inquisitor 54mm games.
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2022, 11:02:41 PM »
The Marvel Crisis Protocol figures are pretty much exactly 35mm sole to eye (with some variety, ie The Incredible Hulk and the likes). But overall human-sized ones are 35mm in size.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2022, 11:46:06 PM »
The Marvel Crisis Protocol figures are pretty much exactly 35mm sole to eye (with some variety, ie The Incredible Hulk and the likes). But overall human-sized ones are 35mm in size.
This was not quite my experience, Batman figures are around 35mm and MCP is notably taller. IIRC, in the range 38-40mm.

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2022, 12:10:01 PM »
That's interesting. :) Of course Thor and the likes will be taller, but Captain America, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, etc (figures which should be roughly as tall as a regular person) are 35-36mm foot to eye as far as I know.