Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:59:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686495
  • Total Topics: 118103
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 3d printed cheap and cheerful 15mm Etruscans & Samnites  (Read 1056 times)

Offline madaxeman

• Scientist
    • Madaxeman.com
3d printed cheap and cheerful 15mm Etruscans & Samnites
« on: May 09, 2022, 11:19:39 AM »
I recently bought a set of 3D printed figures from a seller on Etsy (Small Scale Prints), from the Hannibal vs Rome range designed by Warprinter from Germany. I ordered a mix of the Etruscans and Samnites, planning to use them to bulk out some of my existing Early Roman armies into other Latin states of that era - armies that I was unlikely to use all that often, but which the completist in me fancied trying anyway a couple of times.

For that sort of thing I wasn't ever going to spend a fortune on, say, Mirliton minis just to leave them in a drawer after a couple of outings, but the idea of having an excuse to take a look at what 3D printing could offer at the moment, and picking up a load of simple to paint minis (these were designed for 10mm, but the vendor scaled them up to 15mm for me) to bang out quickly was exactly what I was needed to prompt me to buy on in to some 3D prints.

Maybe the best summary is to say that "They are what they are" - simply-designed, low cost figures sculpted for 10mm and scaled up to 15mm, and on that basis I think they succeed admirably in what they set out to achieve. Yes, they do still have an air of “Lego” men about them for sure, but I think in some ways that also makes them kinda cute and gives them a real likability factor too (reminscent in some ways of the Lamming 25mm range from back in the day). Stood next to Old Glory 15mm Romans, and at wargaming distances they don't - to me - look all that out of place at all.

Perhaps the more interesting thing for me is that having these guys in-hand, I've begun to see just how easy it is soon going to be for gamers - even using fairly basic 3D design skills - to begin to start playing around in 3D, mixing and matching even simplistic "lego-style" body parts to suddenly cook up entirely new, bespoke, limited run armies and figures to add to their collections.

And, I will stress again, these guys are not trying or claiming to be anatomically accurate works of art - they are just cheap and cheerful "get em on the table" figures.

Interesting times indeed!

(more photos and detail on painting on my website at: https://madaxemandotcom.blogspot.com/2022/05/3d-printed-miniatures-future-has.html)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 08:19:35 PM by madaxeman »
Web: Madaxeman.com
On Twitter: twitter.com
On Facebook:  facebook.com
Devon holiday?: The Captains Cottage Brixham

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
Re: 3d printed cheap and cheerful 15mm Etruscans & Samnites
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 04:05:45 AM »
Apologies are hardly needed. I've seen far worse!
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline MGH

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 01:11:08 PM »
I think they look just fine especially once one has an army en masse on the tabletop.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 02:50:31 PM »
The scaling up did not do them favors BUT I still think they will pass the arm's length test with ease. 
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 04:31:39 AM »
They lack some details due to upscaling, maybe, but I kind of like them. The simplicity of the sculpts certainly helps painting them quickly.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2022, 10:04:39 PM »
I like them a lot.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt