Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:07:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Ill-made Wargame - Knight skirmish game for 14th century - help please  (Read 2811 times)

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
As regards figures, I would have thought that, at a squeeze, you could use the Perry Agincourt plastics for the French infantry at the later end of your time period, and some of the FireForge range at the earlier end.  FireForge also make a lot of Eastern European stuff for this period as well, plus Templars.  Both FireForge and Perry look ok together, too.

Yours,
Ethelred The I'm Nearly Done, Stop Badgering Me Or I'm Going To Forget Something
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
 Claymore, Antediluvian or old Glory would be my first choices. Perry figures are predominantly post 1400.

For rules, I agree look at Raven Feast.

Cheers
Matt
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 01:21:50 AM by bluewillow »

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
Thanks again, everyone.

Fistful of Lead looks like it may do the job.  I have the older rules for this but will look at getting the Fantasy set.  There seems to be a lot of similarity between FFoL and Outremer: Faith and Blood (I have these rules too).  Any preferences for one over the other?
I see the Fantasy version on FFoL has solo rules.  Do these work well?

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
I only read the outremer-rules. They sounded very interesting, but after reading they were too small for me. The advantage of FFoL is the option of up to ten figures and bigger games with the FFoL:Big Battle. I never used the Solo-rules, but I also expect them to work fine
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
I would also suggest looking at Fistful of Lead, but also check out One Hour Skirmish Wargames and Pulp Alley.  FfOL is a great game, but does bog down when you get to more than 5 or 6 figures per side.

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
Some time ago I played a few rounds of combat using FFoL and did find there was potential to bog down.  This may or may not be an issue when I play solo.  I have the time to get bogged down, but as a game goes on I usually want to start cutting corners.  Playing against one of my friends, getting bogged might depend on who I'm playing against.
I think the mechanisms of FFoL feel better for me than Outremer although I like the character progression of these rules and in that respect potentially more interesting than FFoL.
I will give both sets a try this weekend and perhaps download a few more games.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
Some time ago I played a few rounds of combat using FFoL and did find there was potential to bog down.  This may or may not be an issue when I play solo.  I have the time to get bogged down, but as a game goes on I usually want to start cutting corners.  Playing against one of my friends, getting bogged might depend on who I'm playing against.
I think the mechanisms of FFoL feel better for me than Outremer although I like the character progression of these rules and in that respect potentially more interesting than FFoL.
I will give both sets a try this weekend and perhaps download a few more games.
Maybe the use of the character elements from Outremer in FFoL means you are doing a crusader/midieval-supplement for FFoL and this would be a big thing. Write it down, send it to Jaye and in the end the audience will get a wonderful book for this exciting centuries. I would buy it.

Offline Mardigan

• Student
    • Brush and Battle
Hello,

I wrote a free set of rules based around the Lances Fournies (equipped lance). They are called “Retinue”, no relation to the old game (I didn’t know it existed at the time, I just love the word retinue). They are a pickup and play type game, I wanted it to be good for “beer-and-pretzels” with non-wargamers but able to expand for campaign play. 3-8 medieval figures per side, with roles for each character.

It may not be what you’re looking for, but it’s free, and may give you ideas to make your own rules!  :)

https://brushandbattle.blogspot.com/p/retinue-game.html?m=1