Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:49:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689603
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Armada Fortifications  (Read 1843 times)

Offline Kelly_

• Bookworm
  • ...the underscore is silent
Armada Fortifications
« on: March 29, 2022, 05:29:27 AM »
I have been working on conversions for Mantic's Armada for some time now, and have my first attempt at a large fort below, a 50 mm generic square for use either as a Land Fort or Sea Fort.  I set each of the corners as a blank socket to allow the cannons to be turned to face the opponent...

...or to allow different crew tops to be placed and show ownership of the fort.

The ships in Armada use a floating scale to be generous, with the most exaggerated features found at the bow and stern, so I am using the Orc ships at as my standard, and they are a rough 6 mm at the center of the model.  All the scenery that I put together I will be scaling to 6 mm, and that size makes it easy to reuse the same crews as elves, humans, or orcs with just a different paint color for each race.
If my wife asks, I only spent half as much as I wanted to...

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
Re: Armada Fortifications
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2022, 09:25:52 PM »
Cleaver idea using the crew to denote ownership!

Love the result.

Offline Kelly_

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2022, 01:31:39 AM »
Here is the next fortification, a medium shore emplacement on a generic 30 mm square that can be switched between regular cannon or mortars for indirect fire, or also by crew into the open socket.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2022, 08:07:41 AM »
Cool. Are these the minis that come with the game, or 3D prints, or something else?

You are going to need a lot of guns with differently painted crews!

Offline Kelly_

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2022, 04:06:33 AM »
Cool. Are these the minis that come with the game, or 3D prints, or something else?

So far Mantic is only producing ships and fliers for Armada, but since the Seas Aflame expansion introduced fortifications into the game last year, I have been distracted by designing and printing up test pieces to use as forts.  The crew I am reusing from poses I put together to fill up the decks of the production ships.

You are going to need a lot of guns with differently painted crews!

To save on storage, I am planning on using the same structures for any faction I play after the full set is finished, with just the tops to change in or out.  Luckily, they are so small that fitting a half dozen onto the resin build plate of another print is no problem...

Cleaver idea using the crew to denote ownership!

Love the result.

Thanks!

Offline Kelly_

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2022, 06:27:51 AM »
Here is another fortification; building off of my 50 mm generic square, I put in towers for use as a Watchtower which in the game is also in the size category large, just like both Forts.  The tops are socketed again to allow easy switches to denote controlling player changes, and I plan on putting together more flags to match other fleets’ colors once they are painted up...

...the dock is only for aesthetics, it is not attached to allow easy removal during play if measuring to that side of the piece.

For anyone else modeling 6 mm structures, the ladders are not printed, but are cable zip ties.  At scale, they end up being about 16 inches wide, and drybrushing the ratchets picks them out as if they were rungs.

Next up on the terrain side, I am working on houses to go alongside a waterfront.