Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:28:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy Flight Games Pre-painted investigators  (Read 7884 times)

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
Re: Fantasy Flight Games Pre-painted investigators
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 11:24:13 PM »
Well, they do look better painted than the D&D ones...  lol

But not as nicely painted as the Star Wars Minatures.  ;)
"When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.— Raymond Chandler

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 11:25:52 PM »
These figures a bit too large and expensive for me.  I feel Fantasy Flight would have better served doing packs of unpainted plasics for use in Arkham Horror.

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 03:20:53 AM »
These figures a bit too large and expensive for me.  I feel Fantasy Flight would have better served doing packs of unpainted plasics for use in Arkham Horror.

You may be right there, Clapham, but unfortunately at least over here in the States many boardgamers avoid miniatures games like the plague. The miniatures are always "too fiddly", or "too hard to paint", or "not worth the time", etc.. Amazingly these same types like fooling with tiny cardboard squares on a hexgrid... but, hey to each his own.

Fantasy Flight may be banking on the fact that boardgamers will buy the miniatures if they are already pre-painted and ready to go.

I do think it was an odd decision to release two at a time. The problem here, as I think has already been stated, is that they are of very little use outside the game. I'd rather have access to them in raw plastic or metal, and the opportunity to paint or not paint as is, particularly when the entire set is released.

-Doc

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 05:17:05 AM »
Could always use more civies for my Weird WWII gaming so I'll see if I can pick them up discounted somewhere.

Good find,
Brian
Keep it WEIRD!

Offline Backyardpatrol

• Scientist
  • Prophet of 1/35th scale gaming
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 06:00:54 PM »
Project cancelled:

http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/2009/10/15/30642

We have listened to your concerns and considered your valuable feedback regarding our announcement of the Arkham Horror Investigator Miniatures. Having weighed the desires of our fans and considered our manufacturing options, Fantasy Flight Games has opted to hereby cancel the release of this product.

“It was very clear from the vocal feedback that we received that the majority of our players were strongly unfavorable towards the price-point and packaging that we had planned for these figures,” stated Christian T. Petersen, CEO of FFG. “Unfortunately, as it’s not remotely feasible for FFG to produce quality painted figures in the assortments and at the price-point range suggested from our customer feedback, we’ve decided to cancel this product. For obvious reasons, we have no interest in creating product that does not match our customers’ expectations, nor of pushing product into the retail channel that will not be successful for our professional partners. We apologize to the customers who were excited about the announced figures, and will continue to investigate avenues in the future to make the reality of painted miniatures for Arkham Horror a reality.”

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2009, 08:18:21 PM »
Hmm... what else should I critisize / kill today....  lol

Depending on how well the sack of Cthulhu does, I'd hope they would either go that route with the plastic figures.  Or do a delux version of Arkham Horror with unpainted plastic minatures included.

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2009, 02:53:27 PM »
While I wasn't sure about the price point, I was intrigued by the pics, and may have picked some up for repaint purposes. Not sure I understand the business model that would actually produce, package and advertise a product, then cancel it due to a bit of internet forum pressure!

In any case, fingers crossed that they decide to sell them unpainted instead, cos I'd love some new investigator models!

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2009, 04:02:50 PM »
Always happy to see LESS prepainted models on the market. The painting is as big a part of the hobby as the games (imho). If L.A.F. has taught me anything it is that painting/modeling/hobbying is not difficult...nor is it particularly time consuming. Anyone can do it and everyone is capable, all that is required is a little effort.

Plus, it's obviously cheeper to produce unpainted models as well! Might be worth looking into for FF.  ;)