Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 11:46:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689796
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Blackhawk down'ish. A Badlands AAR (PIC heavy)  (Read 1464 times)

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Blackhawk down'ish. A Badlands AAR (PIC heavy)
« on: April 13, 2022, 02:59:07 PM »
For this years traditional big easter game we decided to go modern and try out the most excellent Badlands game that I have been send a test version of.

A Blackhawk has been shot down by local militia forces and crashed in the slums just outside a UN food depot. The local population has been riled ud and are rushing towards both the Blackhawk to get trophies and towards the UN food depot to plunder it. Aerial surveillance shows two mobs of militia and a force of rebel soldiers advancing on the crash site. A chalk of US Marines and a Delta squad has been rerouted to secure the crash site and to help defend the food depot currently only guarded by local army forces.

As the local army can start to hear the shouting and shooting of the militia mobs. They move into position to guard the fences and man the .50 on the gatehouse.

Both the rebel army and the militia move on the crash site and the food depot.

A massive firefight breaks out as the D-boys open fire on one of the militia mobs, who returns fire.

Some of the militia heavy weapons move onto rooftops to provide cover fire for the rest.

As they advance on both the food depot and the downed chopper.

The .50 on the gatehouse does a good job keeping the rebel army pinned down.

Thus ensuring that the US Marines can reach the downed Blackhawk and rescue the wounded pilot.

While the troops on the ground in the UN food compound are starting to take casualties.

Meanwhile up the street the Delta squad are still locked in a ferocious firefight. And despite inflicting massive casualties on the militia the amount of return fire still manages to pin down a few of the D-boys. They throw out some smoke to try and disengage so they can move in support of the Marines.

The heavy support weapons on the roof tops are starting to really hurt the Marines casualties and wounded are starting to mount.

But Delta has disengaged and displaced and they quickly make short work of the rooftop gunners.

Disaster strikes. A well aimed RPG hits the roof .50 and wounds or suppresses the crew.

That frees up the rebel army who have been suppressed by the .50 to start an uneven firefight with the Marines caught more or less in the open.

As most of the Marines lies wounded or pinned by the Blackhawk the militia moves in for the kill.

They get a bit of a reprieve as the local army has fired up their BTR70 and moves in to rescue the stricken Marines.

But a hail Mary shot from an RPG gunner down the street quickly ends that rescue attempt.

At this point the game ended as we had set a sundown clause for the game to end. The western forces still held the crash site (barely!) and the militia had managed to gain acces to the food depot and kill or wound all the defenders.

We all had a great time playing the game. It is quick to learn and even though we perhaps stretched the limits of the game by playing 6 players everything worked fine. The game lasted from 12 to 19 with a big lunch break, with time to tackle all the issues of the world and have some beer and snaps. Everyone agreed that the rules worked great. We had two players who are not used to wargaming at all and they picked up on it instantly. As did everyone else only two of us had had one test game prior to this.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 03:01:40 PM by Dr. Zombie »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Blackhawk down'ish. A Badlands AAR (PIC heavy)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2022, 02:44:13 AM »
Very cool.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2022, 03:28:25 AM »
Outstanding...great photos and layout.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2022, 07:43:09 AM »
Great looking game - I particularly like the mini rugs on one of the hours roofs

And great write up - seemed a very tense close game.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2022, 09:11:06 PM »
Great report.  Well done!

Did any of the chaps guarding the crash site get away?  I'd hate to see the local militia parading any Marines they may have captured before their cameras....
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2022, 09:15:54 PM »
By the time the game ended, there was only one surviving Marine left. But we called it that they were evacuated by a friendly column arriving to take them to safety. The food fell into the hands of the militia though..

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2022, 09:30:08 PM »
wow

I need to up my game :D

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2022, 07:29:35 PM »
Thanks for a great game and a really nice AAR. I cant belive how you have had time to make all that terrain.

I know we already talked this over but for the audience I must say that Badlands are my absolut favorit modern game system. I love the way you roll agains each other for hits and saves. Its both fun a gives realistic results.

My Rhodisians are waiting for a test of this great game system

Cheers
Erik

Offline stlwarrior

• Lurker
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2022, 07:22:19 PM »
Lovely pics and incredible terrain you have there!
I've read thru your post a few times and you mention these being from an upcoming rule set (Badlands). Can you tell me who created/produced these rules?
Thanks and again thanks for your write up.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2022, 07:27:49 PM »
Thank you.
He has a profile on here Badlands-Skirmish

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2022, 10:03:13 AM »
Awesome AAR, Worthy of print me thinks.

Keep on Keeping on