Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:55:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686663
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mold making.  (Read 766 times)

Offline Aethelflaeda was framed

• Scientist
  • aka Mick the Metalsmith
    • Michael Hayman Handmade Celtic Jewelry
Mold making.
« on: May 19, 2022, 03:17:31 PM »
I have been trying my hand at master making of 28mm figs using 2 part epoxy (Aves Apoxie) as well as with traditional wax-carving from my jewelry business.  I can cast the wax models into silver using jewelry investment plaster and then making either a brown rubber/2 part RTV mold and cutting them apart with a scalpel. 

I am pretty loathe to use white metal in my jewelry studio out of fear of contaminating my jewelry metals, so i am looking to do some resin pours (i have a vacuum pump bell jar for de bubbling).  some research on the web has me even more confused as to what might be the best sort of material to use and what trade offs there might be for less expensive resins.  I am interested in shrinkage rates as well.  I saw a great cheap buy of bulk acrylic powder and wonder if anyone has ever tried using it. 

I am still tempted to buy a white metal spin caster but i really don’t expect to produce enough figs to merit it, but would be interested in someone who could be contracted to produce figs in small runs from my masters.

Mick

aka Mick the Metalsmith
www.michaelhaymanjewelry.com

Margate and New Orleans

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
Re: Mold making.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 07:30:40 PM »
If you are casting the your own material then the best toots I have seen for Resin and silicone are on:
https://hirstarts.com/moldmake/moldmaking.html
There are also several toots on the forums too about vacuum chambers, resin and silicone.

A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 10:23:49 PM »
Thanks, will take a look at those…although tutorial videos are not my favorite way to garner specific info, ya can’t ask a question to a video, still much appreciated.  To be clear it’s not mold making that is my biggest issue… been making those for jewelry lost wax casting for years.  It’s the material to go in that mold that is most novel to me.  my molds have always been for lost wax work.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 09:42:46 AM »
If that is the case then look at the pinned topics in his forums.  Both the "Questions and modelling tips" and the "Post your own pictures".  Both the Zombie Engineer and ChaosAngel of Death UK have good topics and have answered multiple questions on the threads.  I do not know if they are still active but the Zombie Engineer was a huge resource for the technical side of casting and mould making. 

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2022, 01:19:45 AM »
The link you provided was excellent.  I had just about all my most serious questions answered.  Much appreciated.