Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:20:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Empress Miniatures Crimean War question  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
Empress Miniatures Crimean War question
« on: September 17, 2019, 06:28:24 PM »
Apart from the civilians would any of the Empress miniatures British army/navy stuff work for the Crimean war or is it too early?

I know that some changes were made mid 1840's which stuck through until '56 but my uniform-fu is rusty.Also any other manufacturer recommendations?Currently collecting the earlier Paul Hicks stuff and the have the later warlord game Russians.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: Empress Miniatures Crimean War question
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 05:21:58 AM »
Apart from the civilians would any of the Empress miniatures British army/navy stuff work for the Crimean war or is it too early?

I know that some changes were made mid 1840's which stuck through until '56 but my uniform-fu is rusty.Also any other manufacturer recommendations?Currently collecting the earlier Paul Hicks stuff and the have the later warlord game Russians.

I suppose that you mean the Maori Wars range, right? If that is the case, I don't think they can be used, not even as "undress" troops. Perhaps the sailors, if you are not too picky, but the gun would be totally out of period for the Crimea. Actually, it would be preferable to use the models from the Naval Brigade of the Indian Mutiny range (Iron Duke Miniatures, also in Empress website), although their uniforms are specific for the sub-continent. The ordnance (IMLA18 and IMLA19) can be used, though.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 10:25:54 AM »
I suppose that you mean the Maori Wars range, right? If that is the case, I don't think they can be used, not even as "undress" troops. Perhaps the sailors, if you are not too picky, but the gun would be totally out of period for the Crimea. Actually, it would be preferable to use the models from the Naval Brigade of the Indian Mutiny range (Iron Duke Miniatures, also in Empress website), although their uniforms are specific for the sub-continent. The ordnance (IMLA18 and IMLA19) can be used, though.

Just resurrecting this thread.

Are "we" sure that the ordnance IMLA18 and IMLA19 Iron Duke Miniatures, also in Empress website is usable for the Crimean War?

There are a few of reasons why I ask.

1/ I want to add as much variety as possible to my armies

2/ British and French assaults on the Malakoff redoubt and the Great Redan are just some of the ideas I have for scenarios.

3/ The Iron Duke ordnance is superior in detail to anything else I have seen out there.

If you're reading this, I look forward to your input :)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 11:00:07 AM »
I’m fairly sure they are. Eighteen and twenty-four pounders had been part of siege trains since the late 18th C. Many of the Blomefield pattern 18pdrs were bored out to become 24 pdr pieces in the early 19th C.

Probably far more detail than you require but none the less an invaluable piece on 19th C ordnance.

https://sha.org/assets/documents/British%20Smooth-Bore%20Artillery%20-%20English.pdf
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 12:51:47 PM »
I’m fairly sure they are. Eighteen and twenty-four pounders had been part of siege trains since the late 18th C. Many of the Blomefield pattern 18pdrs were bored out to become 24 pdr pieces in the early 19th C.

Probably far more detail than you require but none the less an invaluable piece on 19th C ordnance.

https://sha.org/assets/documents/British%20Smooth-Bore%20Artillery%20-%20English.pdf

Thanks for the expeditious reply and pdf mate- especially on a revived thread  8)