Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:40:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 762
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How to find info on ACW OoB's?  (Read 1588 times)

Offline George1863

• Assistant
Re: How to find info on ACW OoB's?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2022, 03:59:13 PM »
There is an invaluable resource on Union armament by unit throughout the war, I believe put together by a military history enthusiast/re-enactor and donated to his local museum in Wisconsin. As far as I remember, it is free to download from the museum as a pdf. Can I suggest you search 'American Civil War Military Equipage Archival Collection, the Civil War Museum, Kenosha Wisconsin,'? It has some uniform details and regimental colour information as well.

I wasn't so lucky with information for the Secesh. My interest was the Georgia brigade of McLaw's division at Chancellorsville, which included the legions of Cobb and Phillips. I was able to track down each regiment through various online resources, sufficient to be pretty confident that the brigade used a mixture of Enfield P1853s and 'Richmond' rifles, or copies of the 1855 Springfields manufactured with machine-tools removed by Virginia from Harper's Ferry.

I am pretty late in responding to this thread, but I hope this may be of interest to the OP or someone else.

Offline mjkerner

• Bookworm
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2022, 09:59:41 PM »
Can’t go wrong with the Battles and Leaders series for units, unit strengths/losses per battle, but not any real info on weapons used by each.

Offline Dukewilliam

• Bookworm
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2022, 08:24:17 PM »
There is an invaluable resource on Union armament by unit throughout the war, I believe put together by a military history enthusiast/re-enactor and donated to his local museum in Wisconsin. As far as I remember, it is free to download from the museum as a pdf. Can I suggest you search 'American Civil War Military Equipage Archival Collection, the Civil War Museum, Kenosha Wisconsin,'? It has some uniform details and regimental colour information as well.

I wasn't so lucky with information for the Secesh. My interest was the Georgia brigade of McLaw's division at Chancellorsville, which included the legions of Cobb and Phillips. I was able to track down each regiment through various online resources, sufficient to be pretty confident that the brigade used a mixture of Enfield P1853s and 'Richmond' rifles, or copies of the 1855 Springfields manufactured with machine-tools removed by Virginia from Harper's Ferry.

I am pretty late in responding to this thread, but I hope this may be of interest to the OP or someone else.

Great stuff! Thank you!
Steve