Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:09:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 577
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My Ash Wastes stuff  (Read 2896 times)

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
My Ash Wastes stuff
« on: May 21, 2022, 12:57:20 PM »
I got the Ash Wastes stuff when it came out a couple of weeks ago and I've been working on it steadily since then.

There is a lot of stuff in the box.  I have all the terrain assembled now but only a couple of pieces finished so far.

The Ash Wastes nomads I have managed to finish though.

I think these figures are great.  At first it seemed like you didn't have a lot of options about how to build them but then when I was working on the second set of them I realized that you could put them together in a few different ways, especially if you combine them with some of the bits from the bug riders too.

The leader, as they have him in the instructions, doesn't seem so useful.  He has two close combat weapons, but one is unwieldy so you can't use it and the other one together.  In the picture above you can see I put a guy in there with a pistol and the claw-thing.  That might be the figure I use as my leader when I play.  We'll see, I haven't fully digested the rules yet. 

There is nothing that screams 40K about these guys, they could work in pretty much any sci-fi setting. 

If desired the back banners can be left off.  I would probably have included another backpack option on the sprue in case you didn't want to use the missile launcher for some reason.  If you did, two guys toting around a bunch of rockets doesn't make a lot of sense.

Offline 3Fingers2

• Librarian
Re: My Ash Wastes stuff
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2022, 02:05:11 PM »
Love them and like you say don’t scream 40k you could use hand weapons and use them for post apocalyptic games .

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 02:14:58 PM »
I wasn't that impressed with these guys in the various GW previews 5but your take on them turned out pretty nice. Still wouldn't get them but like what you've done with them. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the terrain. Since you've seen the rulebook was wondering how much more they add to the vehicles besides the buggies and the bugs. Thanks for sharing.
We haul ours to kick theirs.

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2022, 04:09:47 PM »
I haven't managed to digest all of the rulebook yet, but it looks like there are just rules in there for vehicles.  They don't even have real lists for either of the gangs in the box.  They have some "get you by" lists in the instructions but, of course, all that has are bugs and buggies.

Here are some pics of the terrain I've finished so far:

This is one of the hab structures and the bridge.  The bridge goes down to a little anchor thing.  Ideally it would go down from a lower structure so wouldn't be at quite that angle.  They have been cleverly designed with the little hooks fitting onto the curved anchors.

This is the other one I have done.  I just finished painting a third but it isn't on a base yet.  Even the ladders and the little platforms and railings stay in place pretty well without having to be glued on.  They even have one that fits between the curved anchors on the upper and lower parts of the hab building so your little guys can climb on top. 

One of the quads.  I have the actual vehicle done and based for the second one but have yet to paint the riders, perhaps I'll get to them today.

This is from another terrain set GW put out about a month or so ago.  I decided when I saw it that it was going to be part of this set of terrain. 

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2022, 06:11:31 PM »
Lovely stuff, well done.

Online syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2022, 03:24:45 AM »
Not pulling me in yet but what you have painted up looks great.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2022, 05:24:28 AM »
Some really neat minis and terrain.  Well done

Offline Kourtchatovium104

• Scientist
  • An atom from alternate realities...
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2022, 01:09:43 PM »
Great. All these give me some ideas... :)

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2022, 09:39:30 PM »
We had our first game with them last week.  The luck was entirely on the side of the Orlocks who coasted to an easy victory over the Nomads in both games. 

Still I thought it looked pretty cool. 

In the first game the Nomads shot at the Orlock champion with the heavy stubber twice.  Once with a sniper rifle and once with a missile launcher.  He not only didn't get hurt, he didn't even get pinned. 

The nomads weren't so lucky with the return fire.  Each shot from the Orlocks killed the respective target so the long-range weapons for the nomads were out of the game on the first turn.  It didn't get better after that. 

The second game was a little bit better, but the Nomads were still plagued with bad luck.  At one point their leader charged the orlock ATV with his chain lance.  He managed to miss, then fought again the next turn with his two attacks.  He rolled snake eyes. 

They lined up a shot on the flank of the other ATV with the missile launcher.  They needed 2+ to hit.  They rolled a 1.
They blasted away at that ATV with almost everything they had.  They kept stunning it but never managed to finish it off. 

I'm looking forward to giving it another go at some point soon, but I suppose Heresy stuff will arrive and then that is all I will be doing for some time after that.

Maybe I should use the terrain for a Heresy Tallarn game.  They could have been arboreal hab pods before the attack and now they are just sticking out of the sand as the Marines and tanks of each side clash in the apocalyptic wastes. 

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2022, 10:21:32 PM »
Not a big fan of the Nomad models in general but your set up and painting on all looks very nice. I do kind of like the terrain and it looks like it gives a decent footprint on the table but I always liked my boards pretty filled so would need a lot more of it.

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2022, 05:48:38 AM »
Yeah, more terrain would be better. 

I did these two games basically just to see how the stuff worked right out of the box.  We didn't use anything that didn't have figures for and rules for the stuff that was in the box, which limited the Orlock models I could use pretty significantly given what I already had.

I would definitely throw down some more natural terrain in a regular game.  It just didn't have enough cover.  it was difficult to imagine there being any sneaking around.

Although the weather conditions rules really make shooting at long range difficult if not impossible so there was that. 

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2022, 05:51:07 AM »
I bought another set of the ATVs to make wrecks with.  I finally finished one of them tonight.

It didn't make sense just to leave the vehicle on the table as it was.  They were really begging to have some wrecks made from them.  I haven't decided what to do with the second one yet.  I have a bigger base to put that on so the crew will be there as casualties on that.  I'll probably use some zombies for that and just paint them like Orlocks.

The nice thing is that it leaves me the crew for this to use for other projects, like the Ridge Hauler.

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2023, 04:01:36 AM »
With our Necromunda Spring Campaign starting in a couple of weeks I've been busy making some new terrain for it. 

Four pieces so far.  I hope to get at least two more done before the start of the campaign on Feb. 7th.

The first piece is an overturned ridgehauler.  I have another set of crates stacked.  I wanted to make it look like it was ambushed, and the ambushers were organizing the loot to take it away. 

It was kind of a pricey model to turn into terrain, but so it goes.  It has a lot of hoses on the bottom that are hanging "down" and when turned this way are hanging up. So they needed to be snipped and repositioned.  There are some hoses on the top part too but those pieces can be put on so the hoses are hanging down in this orientation.

I did two of the promethium tanks too.  These painted up pretty quickly and can be used for a ton of different games.  We will be using them next weekend in our third Paramar game, for example.  I'll probably also pull them out when I do a Tallarn game for 30K later in the spring. 

The last one is a bunker or the opening to a bunker.  I wanted to get it finished for this, but it will be the primary objective when we do the Tallarn game.  Both sides will be fighting to get to this.  The White Scars to defend it, the Iron Warriors to penetrate into it. We'll be running a separate scenario with a modified Kill Team rules with an Infocyte assassin and some human troops vs. a few Alpha Legion and some cultists on a separate table.

This probably won't appear in too many Necromunda games this campaign, unless I run out of terrain for other things.  We have 11 players this campaign though, so that is a distinct possibility.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2023, 04:18:57 AM »
Nice, the nomads look better than I thought at first.  May have to keep them in mind.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2023, 06:48:01 AM »
More nice stuff. Keep it coming. :)