Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:23:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Wargames Atlantic: Plastic Aztec Warriors Reviewed!  (Read 1992 times)

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
Wargames Atlantic: Plastic Aztec Warriors Reviewed!
« on: May 21, 2022, 03:05:24 PM »
Just finished my comprehensive review of the new Aztec Warriors kit featuring scale comparisons, an overview of the warrior classes, plenty of pictures of the sprues & assembled miniatures alongside more information about these fierce warriors. Let me know what you think of this kit and check the full review here https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/2022/05/wargames-atlantic-plastic-aztec.html
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Wargames Atlantic: Plastic Aztec Warriors Reviewed!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2022, 03:00:25 AM »
An excellent review with an amazing amount of background detail. You have really helped me to better understand Aztec forces and how they can be assembled with this kit.

Highly recommended review! 👍
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2022, 06:41:28 PM »
An excellent review with an amazing amount of background detail. You have really helped me to better understand Aztec forces and how they can be assembled with this kit.

Highly recommended review! 👍

Thank you very much for commenting and liking the review!

Glad you found it useful as I have learned much too reading about these warriors.

Offline Bowman

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2022, 10:56:46 PM »
I think, in general, the figures are good. It’s always nice to see interest in Mesoamerican warfare, a personal favourite of mine. If I had to complain it would be that I’d take one less suit wearer and add one more bare chested warrior per sprue. That way you could build a force a little more indicative of the actual distribution of Aztec troop types.
"This I have known ever since I stretched out my fingers to the abomination within that great gilded frame; stretched out my fingers and touched a cold and unyielding surface of polished glass." 

H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Offline Digger

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2022, 07:44:15 AM »
Another great review, thanks Belgian.  Now I need to go and buy some :'(

Pete

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2022, 08:17:47 AM »
Excellent review.

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2022, 08:48:47 AM »
Thanks for the review.
Very useful.

Agreed, the figures are a bit chunky, and slightly heroic.
But you know, I like that look for my toy soldiers!
I'd like to see them next to the superb metal sculpts from Foundry.
Sadly the price of foundry for these large armies rules them out.
I could mix the odd pack in if they fit.
A millionaire trapped in a peasants body!

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2022, 09:24:07 AM »
Thanks everybody for the kind and interesting commentaar

@Bowman, True would also have prefered more simple drafted peasants but think that for wargamers the more elite though much less common warriors are of more interest on the tabletop.

@Digger, thanks but you won´t regret the purchase!

@The Dozing Dragon, thanks David much appreciated

@Tim Haslam, thanks will see if I have any of those.

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2022, 10:19:54 AM »
Thank-you for the review.

It is amazing to think that it is not many years ago in2008 that the Perry's brought out American Civil War infantry.
People said the plastics would be restricted to armies where you need hundreds of similar troops.

How things have changed.
Now we can even have multipose Aztecs. :o

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2022, 02:19:01 PM »
Agreed, I meant to add to my post.
How lucky are we these days, the choice of figures have increased vastly.
Plus if you add in the choices coming from the 3D printing world, we are living in good times for toy soldiers.

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2022, 11:03:32 AM »
Thank-you for the review.

It is amazing to think that it is not many years ago in2008 that the Perry's brought out American Civil War infantry.
People said the plastics would be restricted to armies where you need hundreds of similar troops.

How things have changed.
Now we can even have multipose Aztecs. :o

Time flies indeed, their first set of plastic miniatures (mostly single part) already ages ago!

But time has certainly improved the amount of available sets and the quality from a range of manufacturers!

Although prices have increase too as I remember the first plastic set of Perry Miniatures was significantly cheaper.

Offline punkrabbitt

• Scientist
  • Let's do this!
    • Punkrabbitt Publishing
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2022, 07:29:17 PM »
Well now! That is certainly more comprehensive than the review I have been working on. I think I am just going to link yours wherever I was going to post mine lol!
Hi! I'm Harry. I am a hobby addict; I game sci-fi, fantasy, and historical (including Ancients, Dark Ages, Renaissance, and World War II Manchukuo.)

Please visit my OSR products for sale at www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/17194/Punkrabbitt-Publishing

Offline Bowman

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2022, 01:02:25 PM »

@Bowman, True would also have prefered more simple drafted peasants but think that for wargamers the more elite though much less common warriors are of more interest on the tabletop.

But it wasn’t just the macehualtin (peasants) that went into battle with bare chests. The inexperienced, green troops and low capture troops also wore no upper body protection, beyond a shield. The ichcahuipilli (the cotton “flak jacket” chest protector) was worn by more experienced troops that already had a few captures under their belt.

Cotton was a relatively rare commodity in central Mexico. Aztec society had proscriptions against the general public wearing cotton. Most people had to make due wearing clothing made of the rougher fibres of the maguey cactus. Wearing cotton was a privilege. And I would suspect that about 50% of an Aztec army would be wearing no upper armour.

But your point about wargamer preferences is well taken.  :D

Offline whill4

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2022, 01:29:37 PM »
Thank you for the well written review. Nice photos also. I will end up buying this set. My only complaint is I wish they had included a couple more back banners.

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2022, 05:29:33 PM »
But it wasn’t just the macehualtin (peasants) that went into battle with bare chests. The inexperienced, green troops and low capture troops also wore no upper body protection, beyond a shield. The ichcahuipilli (the cotton “flak jacket” chest protector) was worn by more experienced troops that already had a few captures under their belt.

Cotton was a relatively rare commodity in central Mexico. Aztec society had proscriptions against the general public wearing cotton. Most people had to make due wearing clothing made of the rougher fibres of the maguey cactus. Wearing cotton was a privilege. And I would suspect that about 50% of an Aztec army would be wearing no upper armour.

But your point about wargamer preferences is well taken.  :D

Interesting point, thought that the peasant infantry and the low class warriors without captives all were barechested. But that the warriors with at least one captive wore cotton armour. That said the peasants and low class warriors formed the bulk of the armies so indeed most of the army would have been barechested or am I mistaken in this?