Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:56:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686488
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sharp Practice in the Sudan (update 26 March)  (Read 13361 times)

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
Re: Sharp Practice in the Sudan (update 11 August)
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2022, 12:20:08 AM »
Better and better! Great looking figures and terrain!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2022, 01:59:46 AM »
Great stuff here.  Maybe the Belgians could have tried to lure the Mahdists down off the ridge...
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2022, 08:34:08 AM »
Great stuff here.  Maybe the Belgians could have tried to lure the Mahdists down off the ridge...

Well they sort of did. Problem was they lured them down with their main force and came too close, so the Mahdists could suddenly charge down before they could fire off enough volleys.

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2022, 04:16:41 AM »
Added a few odds and ends to serve as play aids.

A Mahdists primary deployment point (on the left) and a movable deployment point (all from the Perry plastic set).

So far I've only made a primary deployment point for the British (again using Perry plastics)

The Perrys do a set of Mahdist casualties in metal and so I intend using a couple of these as replacement leader figures for when a leader is wounded. I'll simply substitute the relevant figure in the leader's sabot. It seems a tidy way to mark this without cluttering up the table with other markers. The prone figure will represent one who is temporarily out of action.

The standing figure (if that's the right word for a 'falling' figure) will be used when the leader suffers a wound that they will carry for the remainder of the game.

The Mahdists can have a Mullah, who serves much like a 'Holy Man' from the main Sharp Practice rule book. I decided I could make one of these quite easily doing a simple conversion of one of the plastic figures.

Last a few more British leaders, again these are Perry plastics.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Sharp Practice in the Sudan (update 15 August)
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2022, 05:43:23 PM »
These look really good.  Well done!

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
Re: Sharp Practice in the Sudan (update 15 August)
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2022, 12:04:55 AM »
I've added a couple of wounded British leader figures to use in leader sabots bases as I've done with the Beja above. I don't have any prone figures but I've ordered one of the Perry Zulu War sprues and will try a simple conversion. The two figures here are from the Perry plastic set. The arm in a sling comes on one of the sprues as does the option for a bare head. I've used the head without any changes on the officer with his arm in a sling. I've used exactly the same head but sculpted a bandage and hair using miliput for the other.

It will be a simple matter of replacing a leader figure once he is wounded with the other figure and that way it will be easy to keep track of which leaders are wounded without any unnecessary clutter on the table.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Sharp Practice in the Sudan (update 18 August)
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2022, 09:54:00 PM »
That's a great idea.  Plus, they look really good!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2022, 02:05:52 AM »
All very nice.  Impressive.

Curious, though, about the British in green?  Is it meant to be rifle unit soldiers or an interpretation of khaki?  If the latter, a bit greener than I understand the khaki in period to be, more of a sand color or maybe a bit tannish.  Or maybe there is something about uniforms for the period I am unfamiliar with?

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2022, 10:25:35 AM »

Curious, though, about the British in green?  Is it meant to be rifle unit soldiers or an interpretation of khaki?  If the latter, a bit greener than I understand the khaki in period to be, more of a sand color or maybe a bit tannish.  Or maybe there is something about uniforms for the period I am unfamiliar with?

My figures, my khaki, you don’t like it, you paint ‘em! 😉

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2022, 11:03:33 AM »
Great stuff. I really like your wounded markers etc, they will add much to the look of the game and the player experience. Keep Em coming! :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2022, 11:21:40 AM »

It was all kinds of colours. Local dyes, sun bleaching, wear and tear etc. would mean no two uniforms were exactly the same.  Plus you need to consider the photographic process and the rendering of the images on a computer screen.

I think the whole collection is splendid!

lol lol lol lol
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2022, 07:11:45 PM »
I'm with TacticalPainter re: color choices.  I've used very similar replies to button-counters at conventions...but I reckon Fifteensaway was just trying to offer constructive criticism, so perhaps we ought not be too hard on him...

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2022, 10:38:11 PM »
I'm with TacticalPainter re: color choices.  I've used very similar replies to button-counters at conventions...but I reckon Fifteensaway was just trying to offer constructive criticism, so perhaps we ought not be too hard on him...

Indeed, hence the wink emoji.

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2022, 11:53:56 PM »
Tactical painter, great job, great colors, great basing! Khaki is subjective, paint them as you like. I’ve seen all manor of colors and shades of the same colors in the field.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2022, 12:41:55 PM »
"All very nice.  Impressive.

It was all kinds of colours. Local dyes, sun bleaching, wear and tear etc. would mean no two uniforms were exactly the same.  Plus you need to consider the photographic process and the rendering of the images on a computer screen.

I think the whole collection is splendid!

Quote from: TacticalPainter on August 19, 2022, 10:25:35 AM

lol lol lol lol"

All of the above.  Indeed splendid work all around.  But I really was curious as to the choice of color and if there was some historical basis.  As stated in the other reply quoted above, khaki was all over the place, even in the same unit - more poorly dyed cloth without proper mordants than a standardized color and highly dependent on what was available to color the cloth (including helmet covers).  Wondered if it was meant to be King's Royal Rifle Corps which did serve in Sudan but would have been, by my interpretation, a darker green.  And, of course, they are your figures to paint as you like - heck, if you want pink riflemen, go for it!   lol