Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:20:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Sources of miniatures for 'true 25mm' sword and sorcery? Minifigs? 1st Corps?  (Read 2728 times)

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
I've resumed painting up some old miniatures for an ongoing 'true 25' (and 1/72) RPG project. This summer, I'm planning some one-off sword-and-sorcery games (using Barbarians of Lemuria) for when we have insufficient numbers for our regular campaign. With Covid restrictions gone, these will be in-person games with miniatures.

I've got quite a large batch of monsters suitable for this scale - 1/72 goblins, etc., are perfect - and I've also amassed various PC types: old Ral Partha, RAFM and Denizen - essentially, anything that will fit on a penny base.

What I want to find more of, though, are human foes. A sword-and-sorcery game is likely to be less heavy on goblinkind than most of the games I run, so city guards, temple acolytes and barbaric raiders are required. Denizen probably has me covered for extra PCs and important NPCs (see below), but rank-and-file in a similar scale would be handy.

My fallback is to use 1/72 historicals, which are OK heightwise and more or less work with Denizen, etc., if one allows for a sort of 'hierarchical scale' (i.e. PCs are bigger and differently proportioned from run-of-the-mill NPCs). But I'd like to get some proper 25mm types on the go too.

So, are there any current sources of 25mm figures that would be suitable for a Bronze Age(ish) game? I like the stylised Tin Soldier UK types, but they might look a bit squat and chunky next to Denizen and Ral Partha. Does anyone do more naturalistic 'true 25' ancients in the UK?

Any pointers much appreciated!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 07:11:40 AM by Hobgoblin »

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
Re: Sources of miniatures for 'true 25mm' sword and sorcery?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2022, 08:39:51 PM »
Mirliton carries the old 25mm Grenadier miniatures.  Mysteriously they are filed under the menu bar labelled '28mm', but these are indeed 25s.  There is a good variety of humans.
https://www.mirliton.it/fantasy-25-28mm/grenadier-classic

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2022, 09:18:56 PM »
Ah - thanks! That's a good shout: I did order some of their Cthulhu ghouls and deep ones about a year ago for the same project. I think those late-80s Bladestorm ones are probably a bit big for penny basing - I certainly recall them as being quite chunky - but I could be wrong. And certainly, some of the earlier ranges would be spot on - I have an early Grenadier gorgon that's perfect.

I suspect Mirliton will be a bit pricy on the postage front for "20 city guard", but a deep dive into the nooks and crannies of that site won't hurt!

Thanks again!

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2022, 10:08:41 PM »
I suspect Mirliton will be a bit pricy on the postage front for "20 city guard", but a deep dive into the nooks and crannies of that site won't hurt!

Stateside, Noble Knight usually has some of them in stock at good prices and shipping:
https://www.nobleknight.com/Products/Grenadier-Fantasy-Miniatures---Humans-25mm-Mirliton-SG

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2022, 10:10:32 PM »
Hello mate,
Do I need to suggest Viking Forge for classic miniatures? And best Elf ever(sword,shield and chainmail) :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2022, 10:49:39 PM »
Stateside, Noble Knight usually has some of them in stock at good prices and shipping:
https://www.nobleknight.com/Products/Grenadier-Fantasy-Miniatures---Humans-25mm-Mirliton-SG

Thanks again - I'll have a rummage and keep an eye out!

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2022, 10:53:23 PM »
Hello mate,
Do I need to suggest Viking Forge for classic miniatures? And best Elf ever(sword,shield and chainmail) :)

Now, the orcs, dragon-lizards and trolls needed no introduction, but I'd forgotten about those old Asgard elves. They look - in the best possible way - like a Tom Meier tribute, which is exactly what I'm after.

Do you know what sort of size those elves are? The Asgard/Viking Forge dwarves are marvellous but a bit too hefty for this project (if I use dwarves, it'll be as antagonists, and the small Ral Partha dwarves are perfect). And some of the Asgard humans are chunky 28s. But those elves look suitably slight.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2022, 11:22:31 PM »
They are. I’ll take a comparison photo a bit later today  :)

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2022, 11:23:41 PM »
Cheers!

As an aside, a brief review of the stuff I've got (and can find on eBay) suggests that true 25 is peculiarly well served for sword and sorcery - perhaps because so many of the miniatures emerged from the 70s. I appear to be amply equipped with sorcerers and sorceresses, barbarians and thieves - much more so than in 28mm!

Denizen's Legion of the Damned should cover me for undead (and I've long wanted an excuse to acquire them), and demons and reptile people are easily obtained; I just based up an old Citadel dragonewt for this project, and Tom Meier's lizardmen and troglodytes are on hand.

So once I find some suitable human mooks, I should be good to go.

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2022, 07:11:13 AM »
Some specific ancients ranges I'm looking at for this - any size pointers on these much appreciated!

• Minifigs ancients. I have quite a bit of the Minifigs fantasy stuff, which is often quite chunky (hobgoblins, pig-faced orcs) or even outright large (forest orcs). But are the ancients smaller? I wouldn't be at all uncomfortable about fielding the simpler Minifigs designs for 'faceless' characters alongside more detailed Ral Partha, etc., for the main heroes and villains. Indeed, that might even be a plus point, aesthetically. I'm also considering whether the pig-faced orcs might not look OK as snouted monstrosities on penny bases.

• Cutting Edge from Warlord. I've read various descriptions of these as looking like children/youths next to other 28s (which is exactly how Ral Partha Europe markets some of the very old RP stuff), but I suspect these might still be too big.
    • 1st Corps. These look extremely promising (the Indian Maiden Guard simply scream sword and sorcery, but the descriptions seem to waver a bit between 25mm, 27mm and 28mm.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Lousy telephone photo:

Left to right: Citadel Runequest, Asgard Elf, Citadel Broo,Ral Partha Hobbit.
All still in their 35 year old (at least) paint jobs, a bit circumspect about repainting them :)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 07:27:44 AM by Blackwolf »

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
They look pretty good for that vintage!

That's really helpful - many thanks! I have that broo, so he's a perfect reference. The elf does look good - possibly as a Melnibonean stand-in, given the sword-and-sorcery vibe I'm after.

I'd forgotten that some of those Gloranthan adventurers were quite petite too - I have Griselda and Wolfhead on the table, though I think the latter is a bit bigger than most of the others. I might well rebase Griselda for this project, though!

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
You might also have a look at Redbox Games Miniatures.
And I’m intrigued;  Griselda and Wolfhead,can you take a quick pic? A big Griselda fan :)

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
I'd only started slapping on some paint when events intervened. Not sure where Wolfhead is - in a box in a cupboard, I think.

Looking at her with a Meier elf and a Guthrie hobgoblin, I think she's probably a bit chunky for this project and best kept as her petite self in 28mm. I think some of the RQ Citadel stuff might well be smaller, though.

Cubs has them both painted amazingly here.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 09:06:54 AM by Hobgoblin »

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
If you can get hold of them Ral Partha historicals were always on the tiny side and less chunky than minifigs. Might be something useful in these links for city guard?

http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=The_Hoplites

http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=1200_A.D