Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:32:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Sources of miniatures for 'true 25mm' sword and sorcery? Minifigs? 1st Corps?  (Read 2724 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks, Diablo Jon! Yes, those are perfect. I managed to snare one of the RP Vikings last night - entirely ahistorical with his two-handed sword and longbow, but perfect as a barbarian adventurer.

Offline Galtisant

• Assistant
Most of the old Ral Parthia range can be bought from Ironwind Metals (ironwindmetals.com) and Ral Parthia Legacy (ralparthalegacy.com), but the cost of postage from America maybe prohibitively expensive.

The Minifigs 25 mm figures became much more chunky over the 1970’s, so for example earlier figures like the old Mythical Earth range were much smaller than the pig faced orcs. The same is true for their historical ranges, so the Macedonians that I collected in 1975 were incompatible with the updated range released three or four years later.

The old Hinchcliffe 25mm range could be worthwhile checking out. They are now being sold by Lancashire Games. Similarly the old Lamming range appears to still be available (lammingminiatures.com).

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Most of the old Ral Parthia range can be bought from Ironwind Metals (ironwindmetals.com) and Ral Parthia Legacy (ralparthalegacy.com), but the cost of postage from America maybe prohibitively expensive.

Yes - and I think the figures themselves are quite pricy too! ;)

The Minifigs 25 mm figures became much more chunky over the 1970’s, so for example earlier figures like the old Mythical Earth range were much smaller than the pig faced orcs. The same is true for their historical ranges, so the Macedonians that I collected in 1975 were incompatible with the updated range released three or four years later.

Ah - that's great info - thanks! I'll try to procure a few types and see how they look, and then see if I can find matching pieces to any that fit.

The old Hinchcliffe 25mm range could be worthwhile checking out. They are now being sold by Lancashire Games. Similarly the old Lamming range appears to still be available (lammingminiatures.com).

Brilliant! Thanks! There are some things in the Lamming range that could be just the job!

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Thanks for that Hobgoblin,I’d forgotten Cubs’ miniatures. Unlikely I’ll ever get my hands on them.
I was thinking about my miniatures (above),their actual age is over forty years,cripes!
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Yes, a lot of the bits and bobs that I've been digging out for this project are survivors of the 70s that I got my hands on as a kid in the 80s - things that languished at the bottom of boxes for being "too small"!

Offline Garanhir

• Scientist
CP Models has a small selection of 25mm ranges, including gladiators along with crowd figures and spear-armed guards, Arabian nights and Greek myth (plus some Harryhousen-style skellies).

https://cpmodels.co.uk/product-category/25mm-ranges/
A life without festivity is a long road without an inn.
-Democritus

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
CP Models has a small selection of 25mm ranges, including gladiators along with crowd figures and spear-armed guards, Arabian nights and Greek myth (plus some Harryhousen-style skellies).

https://cpmodels.co.uk/product-category/25mm-ranges/

Thanks, Garanhir - that's a great call! I'd entirely forgotten about them - and they're very much the thing for sword and sorcery. And yes, those Roman auxilia look very promising as generic guards. Gladiators are great as generic bandits and D&D-style 'berserkers', etc., too.

Offline 102-year-old-man

• Bookworm
how does the 25mm stuff compares with 1/72 plastics? Some photos would be great :D

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
It varies a bit!

Here's a photo. The 25mm figures are the plate-armoured RAFM warrior second from the left, the Ral Partha shield maiden third from the right, and the RAFM half-orc on the far right. The rest are 1/72 (MiniArt Burgundian, Zvezda hoplite, Strelets bashi-bazouk, Emhar Viking).

To my eye, the Ral Partha figure works pretty well with most of the 1/72 stuff. The RAFM figures are more cartoony, with big, characterful heads. But the shield maiden would look fine with a group of the Emhar Vikings - especially if you afford her just a little bit of 'hierarchical scale' as a character figure.

Oddly, though, the 25mm figures look fine with each other.