Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:31:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New Modern Board or Ultra-Modern Board  (Read 1269 times)

Offline 1amaloney

• Student
New Modern Board or Ultra-Modern Board
« on: July 30, 2022, 10:17:39 PM »
Can we get one?

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
Re: New Modern Board or Ultra-Modern Board
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2022, 11:17:27 PM »
No.

But you can post Ultra-Modern minis in the Cold War board. Just don't dig into context.

Keep in mind one of the reasons this forum doesn't have a Ultra-modern board is to safe guard it against the potential intervention of German law. Which is quite strict about a lot of ultra-goings-on.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2022, 08:58:14 AM »
I am sorry to disappoint, but our sentiment on that issue has not changed.

The respective rulings as expressed by the general LAF forum rules and the board-specific rules still stand, since "ultra-modern" is, to be honest, amid the worst cans of worms in the hobby.

Do remember that you are free to post non-discussion topics presenting new products, modelling projects, painted miniatures and/or terrain, although anthing being particularly contentious, obviously including current events, may be subject to moderation.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 07:52:43 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2022, 10:37:55 AM »
Do remember that you are free to post non-discussion topics presenting new products, modelling projects, painted miniatures and/or terrain, although anything being particularly contentious, obviously including current events, may be subject to moderation.

On this point, presumably the recently locked Khurasan Ukraine thread is an example?

If Khurasan decided to post a thread on a new generic “modern resistance fighters” range then presumably the thread wouldn’t be locked?

Personally I think it is in really poor taste to bring out a range of figures while a war is ongoing BUT of course there have been plenty of companies/gamers posting threads here on Afghanistan while there has been a “live” conflict, which haven’t been locked in a sort of pre-emptive manner  ;)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2022, 02:06:04 PM »
On this point, presumably the recently locked Khurasan Ukraine thread is an example?

If Khurasan decided to post a thread on a new generic “modern resistance fighters” range then presumably the thread wouldn’t be locked?

Personally I think it is in really poor taste to bring out a range of figures while a war is ongoing BUT of course there have been plenty of companies/gamers posting threads here on Afghanistan while there has been a “live” conflict, which haven’t been locked in a sort of pre-emptive manner  ;)

To be clear on this issue, ALL Ukraine-related topics, including for fairness' sake also charity-related ones have been locked for the very reason that there is no way they won't go south in an instant. They have been left visible and not removed since they are/were not in acute violation of the rules to such an extent that they would warrant this, and that we appreciate that there is a clientele for it and the manufacturers are free to publicize new releases.

Yes, it is preemptive to an extent, but the alternatives would not be in anybody's interest except mine (i.e. a hard cut-off line of 1989, as was my original preference, or no post-war board at all), and those were given due consideration and discussion back in the day. I am afraid that folks will have to live with the fact that there will be some topics that are non grata, and I'm sorry if it appears arbitrary, but after almost 20 years of moderating this forum I won't be convinced otherwise will be better.

And yes, I am aware of the irony of touting the "benevolent dictatorship" approach in this context.  o_o

Online CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2022, 04:23:37 PM »
While I would be up for a post-2000 board, and I personally don't have any qualms about gaming current ongoing situations, I certainly understand the rationale y'all are using, Chris.
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline 1amaloney

• Student
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2022, 06:06:03 PM »
Thanks to all the responses!!