Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:53:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Antenocities Workshop closed down  (Read 1630 times)

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
Antenocities Workshop closed down
« on: May 11, 2022, 01:42:27 PM »
 Tried to go onto the site and it is no longer operating and the FB page has been closed too.

From what i have seen in the KS project,it looks like They have been having issues with the costs of operating going up along with Brexit.

A real shame as i do like the stuff that they do and wanted to order some items from them.

Do you think that this is the start to the end of smaller miniatures/gaming producers now with the increased costs of operating,Brexit and 3D printing?

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Antenocities Workshop closed down
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 01:53:35 PM »
Those 3 issues must surely be considerable challenges for many a commercial concern.

Antenocities had been struggling for a while: I remember previous posts here by representatives of the company.
Hope it's not as bleak as your post suggests.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 02:03:14 PM by Bloggard »

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 02:03:49 PM »
Ah that's a shame, I was thinking of looking around there this week.

My last order came pretty quickly and they're nice pieces.

Offline Kitfox

• Schoolboy
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 03:48:12 PM »
It looks like the Twitter account has gone as well.  It would be a real shame if they were to disappear, I've just spent the past few weeks painting some of Jed's resin fantasy furniture, lovely stuff.  Was planning to order more in the future.

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2022, 04:19:47 PM »
It would appear that they have gone into Voluntary Liquidation.

A shame as they produced some quality items and I always received good customer service from them.

2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2022, 05:16:26 PM »
If this is true, then it's a real shame.  :'(

I've got some of their Cyberpunk MDF buildings and they are really nice to build and look good on the table.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2022, 05:30:55 PM »
Huge if true. They have a massive quantity of the best near-future/cyberpunk/sci-fi vehicles. If those moulds aren't sold, that would be quite the loss.   

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2022, 12:09:28 PM »
Do you think that this is the start to the end of smaller miniatures/gaming producers now with the increased costs of operating, Brexit and 3D printing?

Yes, especially for producers of the larger scales. The two sizeable foreign markets UK producers used to enjoy were the EU and the US. The EU has effectively closed to them, with shipping, customs and taxes making UK products too expensive for EU gamers. Shipping to or from the US has never been cheap, but since Brexit it's now become the most expensive place to ship to from the UK. Australia is cheaper. This has also made UK products too expensive for our Yank cousins. All this before considering increases in material costs, etc.

Every producer I know is suffering from this, and they are typically running on tight margins and budgets. Even if a distributor could be found in either the EU or US, many UK makers operate on such a slight margin they'd either become unprofitable, or priced too high.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2022, 04:54:10 PM »
Yes, especially for producers of the larger scales. The two sizeable foreign markets UK producers used to enjoy were the EU and the US. The EU has effectively closed to them, with shipping, customs and taxes making UK products too expensive for EU gamers. Shipping to or from the US has never been cheap, but since Brexit it's now become the most expensive place to ship to from the UK. Australia is cheaper. This has also made UK products too expensive for our Yank cousins. All this before considering increases in material costs, etc.

Every producer I know is suffering from this, and they are typically running on tight margins and budgets. Even if a distributor could be found in either the EU or US, many UK makers operate on such a slight margin they'd either become unprofitable, or priced too high.

It does make for worrying times in the miniatures/gaming market among many others.

Loosing sales from outside of the UK is a huge lose for many that were already struggling.

This will have a knock on effect for traditional sculptors too.It is very worrying to think how the whole miniatures/gaming industry will cope with the future.Where will we be in a Years time?

Offline soldieroftheline

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2022, 07:24:37 PM »
Shipping to or from the US has never been cheap, but since Brexit it's now become the most expensive place to ship to from the UK.

Actually I thought that was due to substantial increase in charges by the US Postal Service, and not Brexit. Oddly, despite the increases, when selling on eBay I have sold a lot more to the US recently than for ages.

Offline Lovejoy

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathsworn Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2022, 10:23:15 PM »
Actually I thought that was due to substantial increase in charges by the US Postal Service, and not Brexit. Oddly, despite the increases, when selling on eBay I have sold a lot more to the US recently than for ages.

Yep, it was down to the US government threatening to leave the Global Postal Union unless they were allowed to alter their 'last mile' charges. Ostensibly this was to allow them to protect US companies against competition from China, but they took the opportunity to massively hike the charges for the whole world instead.
It's now the most expensive destination in the world to ship parcels to from the UK.  :(

Offline Sgt_T

• Scientist
    • Toomuchterrain
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2022, 11:17:24 AM »
Too bad.
I really like the Antenociti stuff and have quite a few of their vehicles.

T

Offline Painterz

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2022, 12:28:49 AM »
Yep, I lost all of my EU customers when Brexit happened. Had my first sale to a guy in Paris last week, first European sale since Brexit.

It's been an absolutely catastrophe. Shipping is murderous. Paperwork is murderous. The number of lost parcels has gone off the charts.

/ rant.