Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:34:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686599
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Daylami figures  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Oddsod

• Schoolboy
Daylami figures
« on: May 24, 2022, 05:43:01 PM »
Hello, I originally posted the query copied below in the Ancients forum, but on consideration it may have been better posted here.  Apologies for the multiple threads.

I’d like to collect a later Sassanid army in 28mm and I’m probably going to use Aventine as the main source of the figures along with A&A and Gripping Beast.  One of the options in most of the lists are Daylami light infantry.  These are not listed in any of these manufacturers specific Sassanid ranges, however, Gripping Beast do have a listing for Daylami in their Armies of Islam range but I believe these figures maybe a little later for what I want, can anyone confirm there suitability.

The illustration on the Gripping Beast web store isn’t particularly flattering, especially when compared to their Sassanid figures.  Does anyone use them, or have an opinion on them?

Thank you.

Offline whiskey priest

• Scientist
    • the Leadpile
Re: Daylami figures
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2022, 05:49:43 PM »
Footsore have some Daylami in their Armies of Islam range, some infantry, a command and some archers.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2022, 05:59:42 PM »
Footsore have some Daylami in their Armies of Islam range, some infantry, a command and some archers.

Indeed, Footsore do some excellent 28mm Daylamites. Bill sent me two units of both spear and bow when he first released them for Musketeer Miniatures, which I have not painted as of yet! However, I can attest to the very high quality.

Link to the Footsore Caliphate range:
https://footsoreminiatures.co.uk/collections/armies-of-the-caliphates

Command:

Spear:

Bow:

Offline Psychlic Bob

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2022, 06:33:40 PM »
I have some of these and love them - except for the strange oval shields that seem to have become de-rigeur for some reason. I swopped them for more usual round types

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2022, 07:00:49 PM »
I have some of these and love them - except for the strange oval shields that seem to have become de-rigeur for some reason. I swopped them for more usual round types

The shield type used by Daylamites very much depends on the date. They were around for a long time, used by the Sassanids, kept on by the various Arab Caliphates; also used by the Turkic tribes who defeated the Arab Caliphates. As I was, a long time :)

Offline Oddsod

• Schoolboy
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2022, 10:26:04 PM »
Thank you for these replies.  Would the Footsore figures be suitable for a 6th/7th century Sassanid army?  The shields have been mentioned as a indicator of the period - what shields would be considered appropriate for my time frame?

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2022, 03:47:57 AM »
Oddsod, as has been said Daylami fought for many centuries, with the Sassanids and then with the Muslim armies. Both the GB and Footsore ranges date to the later Muslim era, so I guess the question would be how much had they changed over several hundred years? I recognise the “Islamic Daylami” from several of the Osprey books on Muslim armies. I don’t know if the Osprey or Montvert books on the Sassanids have pictures? I can check tonight or tomorrow. The only description I know is from the 6th century Byzantine writer Procopius who I think described them with sword, javelins and shield. Maybe another set of figures would be the Islamic javelinmen in the Perry 1st Crusade range. Less well dressed but maybe too Turkic looking?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2022, 08:32:25 AM »
I don’t know if the Osprey or Montvert books on the Sassanids have pictures? I can check tonight or tomorrow. The only description I know is from the 6th century Byzantine writer Procopius who I think described them with sword, javelins and shield. Maybe another set of figures would be the Islamic javelinmen in the Perry 1st Crusade range. Less well dressed but maybe too Turkic looking?

The Montvert publication, Justinian's Wars, Belisarius, Narses and the Reconquest of the West, Roy Boss, Robert Chapman has an image of a Isaurian warror so my mistake.

I did manage to find this image of a Daylamite warrior taken from a Russian language source (I know not what publication) but it seems a reasonably convincing drawing. Again a round shield so it may well be worth changing over shields. Note the early Sassanian infantryman influence in clothing etc.

Offline Psychlic Bob

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2022, 05:00:16 PM »
It may be worth modelling the zupin javelins which are recorded as having blades at both ends so a smaller butt point?

Offline Oddsod

• Schoolboy
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2022, 11:51:28 PM »
Thank you all for the replies, plenty to think about indeed.

The Perry Crusade range contains some Seljuk tribesmen who are armed with javelins and round shields and crucially they do not wear the turban.  They are certainly a rather a dangerous looking crew with plenty of character.

The image from our unknown Russian artist was particularly helpful as I’d not been able to find anything on my searches.  The addition of a few sheepskin “gillets” should be doable with some green stuff and with some double headed javelins they could add extra character and authenticity to the range I finally choose.