Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:30:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Perilous Dark Question  (Read 2416 times)

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
Perilous Dark Question
« on: May 26, 2022, 01:45:40 PM »
Just started another campaign of regular Frostgrave with a friend and got to thinking about soloing the game again with a different warband.

First consideration was, of course, Perilous Dark which kicked my backside badly the last time I tried to the point that I gave up after a few failed attempts at Writhing Fumes.

From comments by Mr McCullough it seems the bar was set a bit high in the scenario causing lots of total party kills; I do worry that this might be the case for some other scenarios as well which look extremely well populated with foes, especially the later ones set in dungeons (one has, I think, 6 pretty tough enemy figures in one 6x6 inch room).

Just having a bit of a browse via Youtube and Google  and it seems like no-one has ever got beyond Scenario 6.

Surely there's some folk out there who've done the later missions.

How did they go and are the enemies as overpowering as those in scenario 1?

« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 01:56:25 PM by Spinal Tap »

Offline Dr. Kevin Moon III esq.

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
Re: Perilous Dark Question
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 06:47:32 AM »
I would recommend skipping the first scenario and playing the solo scenario from the Wizards Conclave instead (with the snow leopard) if you are struggling with the writhing fumes.

I've played through up to scenario 6 during lockdown. All the scenarios are challenging. I found the one with the demon dogs particularly hard, but a bit I just replayed them learning from mistakes in the first try (a bit like reloading a level on a computer game).

If they are a bit much, just alter them slightly. Have one less monster or give yourself a few rerolls?

They are certainly worth a go.

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 04:14:20 PM »
I would recommend skipping the first scenario and playing the solo scenario from the Wizards Conclave instead (with the snow leopard) if you are struggling with the writhing fumes.

I've played through up to scenario 6 during lockdown. All the scenarios are challenging. I found the one with the demon dogs particularly hard, but a bit I just replayed them learning from mistakes in the first try (a bit like reloading a level on a computer game).

If they are a bit much, just alter them slightly. Have one less monster or give yourself a few rerolls?

They are certainly worth a go.

I think I will try that, thanks for the suggestions.

It does seem that you've got as far as anyone in this campaign though as I can't for the life of me find anyone who's done scenarios 7-10; although surely there's someone somewhere!!.

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 11:29:28 PM »

I think I will try that, thanks for the suggestions.

It does seem that you've got as far as anyone in this campaign though as I can't for the life of me find anyone who's done scenarios 7-10; although surely there's someone somewhere!!.
It's a running gag on some youtube channels that no one has batreps past scenario 6.  Some of it seems to be timing, a lot of people didn't get past that point before 2nd edition dropped and they just didn't want to continue at that point.  Would be interesting to see someone play it in 2nd with all the changes and see how much harder it gets.

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2022, 04:09:13 PM »
It's a running gag on some youtube channels that no one has batreps past scenario 6.  Some of it seems to be timing, a lot of people didn't get past that point before 2nd edition dropped and they just didn't want to continue at that point.  Would be interesting to see someone play it in 2nd with all the changes and see how much harder it gets.

I see, so that's what happened, 2nd Edition.

I'm really most interested in dungeon settings solo as I got a couple of boxes of Tenfold Dungeon for my birthday.

My current intention is to put together a warband and have a go at the dungeon scenarios in Perilous Dark.

I've also been working on some random dungeon generator stuff which is in the early stages to give a bit of fog of war in solo  but will be using Frostgrave rules for all the actions.

This is what I jotted down last night before bed -

Random Dungeon Creation

Cards to describe room and contents – eg Ace – Large Room, 2 large pieces of furniture and 4 small.

Roll

D4-Number of doors         1-4

D6 – Potion                        5-6

D8 – Treasure                    7-8

D10 – Loner                      9-10

D12 – Boss                       11-12

D20 – Minions                  1-5         1
                                          6-10       2
                                         11-15      3
                                         16-20      3 + 1 Ranged

12 Room list.

7 rooms random as initial stack

1 room (final room) will contain Boss plus Loners and Minions as per dice along with primary treasure for scenario.

This room plus the 4 others will make the second part of the stack.

Once final room is unlocked any doors in the dungeon will, if a D20 8+ is rolled, lead to safety, otherwise the party will need to leave via the front door and face any remaining monsters from their entry.

When the party leave a room Loners and Bosses will follow, Minions will remain.

Offline NotifyGrout

• Librarian
  • Sub-Random, Cut-Up, Trident
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2022, 02:48:17 AM »
Scenario 1 is so hard. A friend and I barely got out alive. One thing to keep in mind is that terrain needs to be fairly dense, but not so dense that enemies never see your models. Finding the right balance is difficult since, unlike Rangers of Shadow Deep, Perilous Dark had no terrain diagrams.

Anything that can block line of sight or bait enemies away from your soldiers is very useful. Generally, buffing your soldiers is only of limited usefulness against endless mobs. Push is great for getting oneself out of combat, too.

Don't be afraid to play coop with two five model crews with the solo parameters, add more sight-blocking terrain, or even to reduce the number of enemies generated at the end of each turn.
https://www.instagram.com/notify_grout/
Current projects: collecting way too many vintage Warzone models.