Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:52:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Strength and Honour at Joy of Six  (Read 2539 times)

Offline Mark Backhouse

• Librarian
Strength and Honour at Joy of Six
« on: May 28, 2022, 04:17:36 PM »
Hi all,
I thought I’d post up my latest work getting ready to run a couple of participation games at Joy of Six on Sunday 3rd July in Sheffield. We will be running one small introduction game in 6mm and a larger 2mm battle.

First up some photos of the Roman forces in the 6mm game. Figures are Rapier and Baccus.

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Strength and Honour at Joy of Six
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2022, 07:30:34 AM »
Very good looking figures! Sounds like the event will be a lot of fun.

Offline Mark Backhouse

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2022, 12:21:47 PM »
Thank you!
The battle will be based around Nikopolis in 48BC. Up first are the Mithridatic army of Pharnarces II.

Offline Mark Backhouse

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2022, 12:30:48 PM »
These are some of the phalangites up close. Nice figures from Rapier Miniatures.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2022, 06:18:51 PM »
I do like those bases of figures - to me they look a lot more interesting than the 2mm bases. Whilst the 2mm figures might give a better indication of the overall formation, I think being blue to see the type of troops is better.

Offline Mark Backhouse

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2022, 07:38:58 AM »
Fair enough. Both have very different visual appeals despite being ‘small’ scale. I’ll post up some more pics over the coming days of the 6mm and the 2mm game.
In the meantime it’s back to the Roman side with the XXXVI legion that performed very well in the battle historically. Rapier figures and Baccus casualties.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 03:21:53 PM »
I love 6mm armies!

These look great!
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Khusru2

• Librarian
    • Travels with Khusru
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2022, 07:48:39 PM »
They look very nice. I'm travelling up to look for the first time, and collect my LWTV medals!

Offline Mark Backhouse

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2022, 11:59:35 AM »
Thanks for your kind words. Looking forward to seeing you. Up next is some 6mm Pontic chariots. A good excuse for mischief if ever I saw one!😂

Offline Mark Backhouse

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2022, 11:43:02 AM »
Making a change from the 6mm it’s time to get to work on the other table. In 2mm I’m going to be running a participation game based on 2nd Bedriacum/ Cremona in 69AD. For that I’m going to need lots of agricultural land for Northern Italy and lots of small farms and villas.

These buildings are from Brigade Models and all of them fit in the palm of my hand! Imagine trying to do that and store them in 28mm!!

Offline Frostie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2022, 07:31:51 AM »
Very nice, I've always fancied doing Roman Civil Wars and 6mm with Strength and Honour looks like the way!

Are there any Roman Civil War scenarios in the rule book?

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2022, 01:41:22 PM »
I must admit although I get the concept of the 2mm they boarder on/cross over the level that I might as well just use printed card with nice graphics. It becomes a board game and at that point I start to think that this can be  shrunk down to actually play it on a small table and card terrain is easy as well. Nothing wrong with that but just the way my mind goes.

However, your 6mm really work and give me a better mass effect the of the visual aspect. So to me it looks so much better. Great stuff Mark, love the 6mm's and to me much more appealing and visually interesting for the game.
My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/

Offline Mark Backhouse

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2022, 04:18:03 PM »
Frostie,
Yes there is Bagradas River in the main rule book - although that’s more of a Numidian v Roman clash really. There is also 2nd Bedriacum from the Year of 4 emperors. I’ll be publishing more Caesar v Pompey and earlier Sulla v Marius scenarios on my planned coverage. Hethwill Wargamer is doing some home made Sertorius in Spain civil war scenarios too.

Mellis1644, it’s all a matter of personal taste and aesthetics that work for you. In 6mm you compromise the formations for uniform detail, in 2mm you compromise uniform detail for formations. Both can look very good in my opinion if done well. I love the scenery especially for 2mm.

Thanks both for your kind words. I’ll try and post up a few more 6mm and 2mm things soon!

Offline Mark Backhouse

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2022, 03:52:24 PM »
My friend Phil has been hard at work on a Hellenistic style town wall and gate to represent Nicopolis. I think he’s done a spectacular job on this! This is better than most 28mm models I’ve seen and it’s in 6mm!

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2022, 04:52:16 PM »
Super impressive wall!