Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:04:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Just Starting WH40K with Tyranids after 32 years  (Read 821 times)

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
Just Starting WH40K with Tyranids after 32 years
« on: June 12, 2022, 10:28:31 AM »
For my latest and VERY significant birthday my son decided that I should start playing WH40K again after a vey long time.  The last game was played in the late 1980s using plastic Space Wombles and metal Orks using 1st Edition Rules.

So he gave me a load of Tyranids, he is going to assemble and paint them as part of the present.  He said they would suit my aggressive tactical style.  However, he is asking me how I would like them armed, which options for the main pieces and which "Hive Fleet" I want them to belong to.  Now I am really confused, I have read the Codex but since I have no idea which Fleet the models I have are for.  I have never played since 1st Edition (I still have the book) so I do not know which weapons, tactics etc to choose. 

So any advice here or by PM or email (PM me and I will supply) gratefully received.  Most importantly - which Hive Fleet and which options on the big pieces?  How should I form my army (Swarm)?

What I have
Starter box with 10 miniatures
- 8 Gene stealers
- Brood lord
- Trygon which can optionally be assembled as a Mawloc,
Combat Patrol with 43 Miniatures
– 1x Hive Tyrant, which can also be built as a Winged Hive Tyrant or a Swarmlord
– 3x Tyranid Warriors, which can also be built as a Tyranid Prime and 2x Tyranid Warriors
– 36x Termagants
– 3x Ripper Swarms
Codex Tyranid Book
Also found in an old box about 20 each of Genestealers and Termagants

Many thanks

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Just Starting WH40K with Tyranids after 32 years
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2022, 04:56:53 PM »
Assuming you aren’t after playing super competively - I’d perhaps pick a hive fleet more based on colour schemes rather than anything else.

Model wise - magnets are you friend for weapon options on the bigger beasties. Let’s you try the different shooting vs melee options.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2022, 05:57:59 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I will not be playing any competition games.  I gave them up in the 1970s when they stopped being fun. 

Anyway, the magnets are a good idea and I'll  pass that on.  Choosing a colour scheme to decide on the Hive Fleet implies that I can make any of them from the boxes I have.  That is really useful. 

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2022, 06:21:52 PM »
My Tyranids are epic scale so I’m less sure about the flexibility of box sets vs hive fleets. But frankly I’d just go for it!

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2022, 06:59:36 PM »
Whilst I haven’t played 40k since 5th (and not my game since RT) different Hive Fleets have their own colour schemes but more importantly their own special rules attached. Assuming this is still the same in 9th (is it 9th?) I’d pick the colour scheme you like most (or of your own design) and play with whatever set of special rules/hive fleet you want for that game. You’re not playing competitively so style and scheme don’t need to match and your opponent will know what’s going on.

If you run into any chitin counters (rivet counters of the grim dark future) who say the scheme is wrong point out that it’s exactly the Hive fleet you’ve chosen but the colours obviously look weird in our alien atmosphere, if they wish to take the models to outer space to verify then feel free……

Fred is dead on with magnets, the nids limbs are perfect for this and the Trygon/Mawloc arms can be fitted to a carnifex to make it look more like the original screamer killer.

If you want to get really silly you can combine the gaunts and gargoyles (maybe with spare genestealers arms I forget) to make these cute little beasts I use as wildlife in 28 and 15mm.

Good luck,
Balm
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 07:01:12 PM by BeneathALeadMountain »
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/