Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:58:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686454
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: B&W eye candy  (Read 6010 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
B&W eye candy
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2007, 06:07:12 AM »
welcome aboard!  just wondering how do you find the right black-whitew/grey mix for the skin tones? Using photos?

Offline Evilcartoonist

• Scientist
    • Carmen's Fun Painty Time
B&W eye candy
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2007, 06:40:25 AM »
Witchheimer- Thank you for the welcome!
As for skin tones- Short answer: Watched a few B&W movies before painting.
Long answer: I think it's a matter of personal taste. If you watch some B&W movies, most skin tones are darker than a white shirt, for example. I tried painting as such, but it just didn't look right on my first miniature. So I went lighter. In truth- it's really hit-and-miss. Though it's less realistic, I prefer a much lighter face- but I have done some darker shades, and they turned out all right as well; and it is more realistic to have varying shades anyway.
Specific colors used (For the lighter skin): Base- Reaper Ash Gray; Midtone- Reaper Granite; Highlight- Reaper Dove Gray. And shift down a value or two for a darker and more realistic B&W face (Caucasian that is. I haven't tried other skin colors yet.)
Hope that answers your question- I hope I wasn't too long-winded! :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
B&W eye candy
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2007, 02:14:46 PM »
Quote from: "Evilcartoonist"
The only terrain I did up is what you see in the picture. My group of friends aren't wargamers, so I haven't had a reason to do up some buildings and such....yet.

Well, you might find some people willing to pay you a bob or two for such nice work. The newsstand is absolutely stunning, and if done in colour would be a magnificent add-on to any gangster game set in the city (if the rest of the terrain and minis, are coloured, that is)..  :)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Evilcartoonist

• Scientist
    • Carmen's Fun Painty Time
B&W eye candy
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2007, 07:35:40 PM »
Thanks for the compliment, Argonor-
         Especially for my partners-in-gaming, I believe in sharing instead of profiting: For my next tutorial on my blog, I think I will show everyone how they can build their own newsstand (or at least how I built my own.)  I'll also describe how I built the hotodog stand (though I can't show the steps because I have no more Foundry viking shields for wheels :) )  

When one or the other tutorial gets put up- I'll post a message at the workbench forum. In fact- I think I'll put in the hot dog stand now. I hope you enjoy!