Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:56:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685054
  • Total Topics: 118007
  • Online Today: 766
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gribb's 19th century adventure  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
Gribb's 19th century adventure
« on: June 01, 2022, 02:54:15 PM »
Going to use this thread to post photos of various projects ranging from Napoleonics to the Franco-Prussian War.

First batch..
1808-09 Norwegian Grenadiers wearing the Russian Potemkin cap. Looking forward to adding another 6 privates and then the command to complete the unit. Once the unit is complete and based I'll update with further pictures ;)

And a list of the paints used. Basecoat and highlight applied with 3-4 layers respectively using the army painter wet palette.

Cap: Primed black. Highlighted with Foundry slate grey B.
The white flaps on the back of the hats: Vallejo Deck tan and Ivory. Their red parts were Citadel Mephiston red and evil sunz scarlet.
Plumes: Based vallejo deck tan mixed with foundry slate grey b to achieve a light grey contrast/undercoat, highlighted/stippled/dotting with Vallejo ivory.
Blue top of the plume: Base Citadel Kantor blue, highlighted/dotted with Aloitac blue.
crossbelt, belts and white part on the jacket: Base: Vallejo deck tan, second layer ivory.
Haversack: Base: Vallejo Iraqi Sand, then mixed with pale sand for the second layer.
Red jacket: Base: Citadel Mephiston Red (70%) mixed with flat brown(30%), highlight Citadel Evil Sunz Scarlet mixed with Mephiston red (70/30%).
Trousers: Base: Citadel Kantor Blue (80%) + Citadel Corvus Black (20%), highlight: Kantor Blue (70%) + Citadel Alaitoc Blue (30%).
Yellow facings: Base: Citadel Averland sunset, 1st highlight yriel yellow and 2nd highlight layer Flash Gitz yellow. Each applied separately unmixed.

Musket: Vallejo Flat brown + Vallejo Burnt Umber.
Musket sling: Base Vallejo pale sand, vallejo deck tan, then last coat vallejo ivory.
Barrel: Citadel Leadbelcher.
Bayonet and buttons: Base Citadel leadbelcher, highlighted with Vallejo Game air silver.
Golden parts: Base: Citadel Balthasar Gold, highlighted with Retributor armour.
Flesh: Base: Citadel Bugman's Glow, washed with Reikland fleshshade, highlighted with Cadian fleshtone.
Hair: Black hair,: Citadel Corvus black applied over black primer. Brown hair: Vallejo Flat Brown. Blonde hair: Base Vallejo flat brown, highlight: Citadel Zandri dust.
Backpack: Base: Vallejo flat brown:, highlight Vallejo flat brown and Citadel mournfang brown (50/50).
Backpack roll/blanket: Base Foundry slate grey B, Highlight Slate grey b+ Slate grey c(lighter colour in the foundry triad)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 11:40:15 PM by Gribb »

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Gribb's growing collection of Napoleonic Norwegians
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 03:37:17 PM »
Nice work! I was just considering to build some forces for the Battle of Skotterud myself  ;)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2022, 05:20:41 PM »
Looking good!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022, 06:03:31 PM »
Nicely done!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 01:30:49 PM »
Thanks for the comments :)
Nice work! I was just considering to build some forces for the Battle of Skotterud myself  ;)
Thanks. Sounds like a cool project. So glad the Perry's covered this theater of the Napoleonic wars. I am sticking to 1808-09 and snow covered bases. They said they were going to release ski troopers at one point. Hopefully soon :o

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
Re: Gribb's 19th century adventure
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2022, 10:49:42 AM »
Franco-Prussian War French infantryman and standard bearer.
Figures are Eagles of Empire.
Flag made by Maverick Models.

- Red parts (trousers, kepi and epaulettes): Undercoat with Vallejo Brown. Then apply Game Colour Red Gore (5 layers so far). Mix Game Colour Red Gore (30%) with GW Mephiston Red (3 layers).
- Blue (Greatcoat and bottle): Night shade blue (70-80%) + Corvus Black (5 layers).
- White Gaiters: Zandri Dust (5 layers so far) - you can mix in some Vallejo Pale Sand (10%+), Vallejo Iraqi Sand mixed with Vallejo Pale Sand (2 layers).
- Haversack: Zandri Dust (5 layers) - you can mix in some Vallejo Pale Sand (10%+), Mix Vallejo English Uniform (60-70%) with Vallejo flat brown and apply over previous coats (3 layers), Vallejo English Uniform Brown (2 layers).
- Backpack: Vallejo Flat Brown (2 layers), Vallejo English Uniform (2 layers).
- Straps around wooden equipment on backpack: Vallejo Iraqi Sand (2 layers).
- Straps for water bottles: Vallejo Iraqi Sand (2 layers).
- Black leather: Vallejo Dark Grey (2 layers).
- Blanket roll: Steel Legion Drab (3 layers), Mix with Engish uniform 50/50 (2 layers).

- Wooden picks on backpack: Vallejo Burnt Umber (4 layers).
- Rifle: Vallejo Burnt Umber (4 layers), Mix Vallejo English Uniform (60%) with Vallejo flat brown (20%) and GW Skrag Brown (2 layers).
- Flag pole: Vallejo Burnt Umber (4 layers).
- Rifle sling:- Rifle barrel: Iron Warriors (2 layers).
- Metallic parts (frying pan on backpack): Iron Warriors (2 layers).
 - Bayonet: GW Iron Warriors (2 layers).
- Golden Buttons and flag pole point: AV Air Polished Gold (2 layers).
- Flesh: Bugman's Glow Cadian Flesh (3 layers),  Reikland Fleshshade,  Highlight Cadian Flesh+Kislev flesh 50/50 (2 layers).
- Hair:Brown: Vallejo Flat Brown (2 layers), Black: GW Dark Reaper (2 layers).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 06:35:42 PM by Gribb »

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2022, 09:08:27 PM »
1870-71 Prussian infantry from Perry Miniatures. Painted as privates of Königin Augusta Garde-Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 4 who fought at the Battle of Gravelotte taking heavy casualties. While I go a bit back and forth on painting projects, I intend to prioritize finishing a unit with these guys colours flying and all! :)

The coat might be a bit dark according to some. But shades varied from medium to a very dark blue. I mixed  Citadel Night Lords Blue with  Vallejo Dark Grey mix 50/50. It turned out too light so I added a bit of (10-20%) Citadel Abbadon Black to the mixture.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 11:23:06 PM by Gribb »

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2022, 04:52:21 PM »
Everything looks good so far!  Well done!
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline waterproof

• Librarian
  • would like to paint more
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2022, 09:57:44 AM »
Very beautiful painting, super realized. I like it.

The blue of the Prussians is really very dark. Almost black.
I am also a fan of keeping the uniforms quite dark and matte. But that would be too dark for me.
But that's a very personal taste, of course.

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2022, 01:58:02 PM »
Cheers! :)

Thanks for the encouraging comments. More to come soon.
I do agree the coat is a tad dark. Might try some lighter shades on other figures for variation. But I do like the dark colour on the Garde and the contrast the white piping on the cuffs and collars.