Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:22:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689633
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Flags of War Reivers  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
Flags of War Reivers
« on: June 04, 2022, 09:44:44 AM »
 I was looking yesterday for TYW flags on the Flags of War website and I saw that they are bringing out via a Kickstarter a new range of reivers. My apologies if there's already been a thread about this, but I wasn't aware until yesterday.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Flags of War Reivers
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2022, 10:56:48 AM »
They are and they look to be stunning figures.

I'm going to jump in but I'm going to wait until the Kickstarter has played through. That's the way I usually go with these sorts of things. I'm happy to support but prefer to do it when all the miniatures have been released- or most of them at least.

If you cast your mind back Wargames Illustrated had some Border Reiver rules (by Chris Peers?).

I have to say, the miniatures do look mighty excellent Paul!

Link to the Kickstarter page should anyone be interested who wasn't aware of the project:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/funkyflags/border-wars-28mm-border-reiver-miniatures-and-rules

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2022, 10:57:36 AM »
Oh wow they are nice!

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2022, 11:33:15 AM »
I think I read somewhere that they have been produced digitally. I wonder whether that means that they lack a bit of character. I hope not but we'll see.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2022, 11:37:57 AM »
I think I read somewhere that they have been produced digitally. I wonder whether that means that they lack a bit of character. I hope not but we'll see.

I suppose it's one of those things; unless you have the miniatures in your hand, you won't really know.

I do know that a few people I know now are producing historical miniatures digitally that are every bit as good as metals. I can't really name names as I'm sure I was told in confidence.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2022, 11:56:55 AM »
Yes, I've heard that too but I haven't seen any of the end product 'in the flesh', so to speak. I suspect that one issue may be that digitally-produced figures might not mix well with traditionally-produced figures. Another may be that we're so used to looking at traditionally-produced figures, with all their inaccuracies, that digitally-produced ones may look odd to our eyes, at least at first. I remember being disappointed when I first saw a Perry Miniatures figure - I thought it was too thin and its head was too small, compared with the 1980s figures I was then used to  - but now I can't get enough of them.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2022, 12:00:21 PM »
Yes, I've heard that too but I haven't seen any of the end product 'in the flesh', so to speak. I suspect that one issue may be that digitally-produced figures might not mix well with traditionally-produced figures. Another may be that we're so used to looking at traditionally-produced figures, with all their inaccuracies, that digitally-produced ones may look odd to our eyes, at least at first. I remember being disappointed when I first saw a Perry Miniatures figure - I thought it was too thin and its head was too small, compared with the 1980s figures I was then used to  - but now I can't get enough of them.

Good point Paul. The aesthetics of miniatures is, I suppose, always in a state of flux really. I remember the first Perry plastics USA ACW Infantry and Cavalry and thinking "No!". That was now a while ago and for many years I have been very happy to buy plastics. In fact, many of the Perry plastic box sets have superior sculpting to some of the metals IMHO.

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2022, 01:26:13 PM »
Still love the Jim Bowen range , these are lovely though

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2022, 02:27:56 PM »
Beautifully painted too - by Andrew Taylor.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2022, 12:20:30 PM »
They do look super. Very tempted - except I already have soooo many ::)

Yes, you can just tell can't you - although these do seem to have bundles of the character that often seems missing in digital sculpts. (Sometimes they just look a little unreal or lifeless somehow... Too perfect. But these look darned good).

Interestingly, I know that Nick Collier sculpted Iain's previous ranges. Perhaps if Iain's now gone digital, Nick might now have a little extra time on his hands. Which (selfishly, wearing my Bloody Miniatures hat) might not be all bad :D

The horses here look particularly good.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 12:22:51 PM by Captain Blood »

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2022, 12:43:07 PM »
I was thinking that the horses looked particularly good too. Good horses are rare, imho.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2022, 11:18:00 PM »
Knuckleduster miniatures are all digital sculpts and are hands down the best Old West minis you can buy, in my opinion.
It's the artist, not the medium.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2022, 10:55:06 AM »
Interesting. As an aside, I wonder whether Avanpost figures are sculpted digitally.

I rather like the look of some of the buildings which accompany the range, by the way. I suspect the windows on some of the cottages are a bit too modern, although that's easily fixed, and I like the pele tower and the bastle house.

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2022, 08:19:33 PM »
Very tempted by this KS myself, miniatures look very nice. I think the sculptor is Rob Macfarlane who also did the Wargames Atlantic Conquistadors.

Steve