Forum > Colonial Adventures

The Great Indian Army GW Contrast Paint Field Study

(1/2) > >>

Dining Room Battles:

The Commander-in-Chief of the Indian Army has ordered a field test of GW Contrast Paints to see if units can be uniformed more quickly for the field; especially with the expansion of the forces of the Indian Service Army. Being the only Colonel in the vicinity of the CIC, he quickly pointed his finger and said," Mad Dawg, the project is yours. Since you have taken more than you fair share of hills, you will now be given more than your fair share of hills to take."

http://toysoldiersanddiningroombattles.blogspot.com/2022/06/the-great-indian-army-gw-contrast-paint.html

MaleGriffin:
I'm looking forward to seeing Mad Dawg's success!

fred:
Good write up - the hardest thing with contrast paints seems to be finding the right colours, epically for military subjects.  The painted colour can vary a fair bit from the colour in the bottle, let along the colour you see online. And as you found the undercoat colour has a significant impact too.

I’ve found them quite useful on 10mm figures too - the more details in the surface of the figure, the more chance the paint has of giving a ‘contrast’ But even just for good coverage they work well and quickly. I’m more of a fan than I expected to be, and I often used thinned paints over white undercoat before contrast paints. The advantage of contrast paints is that they cover well.

levied troop:
Very useful review. I’m finding the Contrast paints very good for horses and they are beginning to speed up my infantry painting in the ECW. Looking forward to trying them out in other periods.

ARKOUDAKI:
I too have been trying out Contrast Paints, with all their funky names. I find them quite useful for speeding things up...but they are not a one-stop shop. You are still best off highlighting and such. Also, I find they work best over lighter basecoats, like white or off white (wraithbone). Also, I have seen a number of people airbrush them with really good results! The key is to get out of the typical historical gamer mode and look what the Sci-Fi/Fantasy crowd are doing with these types of paints.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version