Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:41:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689638
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bonnie Scotland, 17thC: UD 31/10 Hudson & Allen Scottish village  (Read 26664 times)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Bonnie Scotland, 1650: Bonnet colours?
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2022, 11:32:08 AM »
On blue bonnets, I get the impression that ‘blue’ was pretty universal - it was the fashion for bonnets to be blue, irrespective of who you were fighting for.  Which blue is the million dollar question  :D !  Classic wargamer approach is to reach for the first blue you see on the paint rack and use Flat Blue, say.  IMHO I think this colour would be difficult to produce, especially for the rank and file. I like to go for more natural shades.  I suspect there was a variety of blues in reality as there would have been many, many producers, and each would have their own dye recipe.  My personal choice is typically something between Vallejo Field Blue and Vallejo Dark Pale Blue.  I think a RAF blue would also work.  I might go Flat Blue for an officer type.

This is extremely helpful, thank you very much. I’ve used the colours you’ve suggested as a guide, as within each unit I want a mix of three shades of bonnet.

And what they look like under the lamp:

These are the block colours so they will darken off with a wash then lighten with a couple of highlights.

Again, thank you :)

« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 11:45:26 AM by Silent Invader »
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Friends of General Haig

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog:
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2022, 10:08:47 PM »
Hi SI

Glad the suggestion was useful. I love the colours you have used and that variety looks awesome. I think I will have to invest in some new blues  :D

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2022, 11:35:01 PM »
Cracking information Friends of General Haig, and very interesting; my colour for bonnets is/was Luftwaffe uniform blue, because it has a faded grey tone, your colours seem to be pretty close to my minds eye :). Now I’ve derailed SI’s excellent thread …
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2022, 06:44:16 AM »
Glad the suggestion was useful. I love the colours you have used and that variety looks awesome. I think I will have to invest in some new blues  :D

Thanks again FOGH! You really did help me out of a bind. The Flat Blue just didn’t look right with the softer tones I’m using for the rest of the clothing - quite garish in comparison - and your recommendation of Field Blue positioned me in a much better starting point on the Vallejo colour chart. :)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2022, 06:51:48 AM »
Cracking information Friends of General Haig, and very interesting; my colour for bonnets is/was Luftwaffe uniform blue, because it has a faded grey tone, your colours seem to be pretty close to my minds eye :). Now I’ve derailed SI’s excellent thread …

This is no derailment Guy! :D

If I had a fourth bonnet colour I’m sure it’d be Luftwaffe Uniform WWII. It’s the only one of my original three colours that I’d still use.

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2022, 07:09:24 AM »
Very helpful. Those choices look right and my undercoated Scots just moved a step closer to the painting desk :)
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2022, 09:01:56 AM »
Very helpful. Those choices look right and my undercoated Scots just moved a step closer to the painting desk :)

It’s always good to see more Scots 8)

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2022, 10:11:24 AM »
The "blue" of the Blue Bonnets was, from surviving examples and contemporary paintings and portraits quite varied.  Every shade and tint of blue, some more like grey, a few more earthy almost khaki.  The richer clansmen, officers and gentlemen (and probably cavalrymen who could afford their own horse) the darker the blue. 

So the rank and file would be every "blue" on your paint rack with, as already said, the greyish shades like RAF & Luftwaffe blues being most common with some more faded (to grey) and some darker.  Officers and the richer clansmen might be distinguished by darker shades to midnight blue for the upper class.

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2022, 07:40:29 PM »
Thanks D, that’s also very useful 8)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Bonnie Scotland, 17thC: UD 13/8, 12 finished minis plus other bits
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2022, 10:36:40 AM »
It’s taken a while but I’ve finished the first 12 Scots. It was quite the learning experience, with me finally settling on the lighter shades for the bonnets (there are actually three shades, derivatives of each of Luftwaffe World War II, Field Blue and French Mirage Blue, though it transpires they all look quite similar in the photos).

The following photos are somewhat of a compromise as they were taken with my phone, albeit they have been adjusted for exposure and brightness.

The 12 figures are nominally in 2 units of 6, though apart from an under base marking there’s nothing to distinguish between the two ‘sides’.

The plaid was an interesting first time exercise; after various more complex approaches I decided to simplify the patterns and tone back brightness so as not to overwhelm the minis.

The Bloody Miniatures are a joy to paint, and while these are all conversions that is no slight on the original sculpts/casts, as it is much more fun to customise a quality mini than a poor one.

Some closeups:

And lastly my favourites:

I’ve also completed the markers for livestock and goods (all worth stealing). There are actually 4 bases of sheep but one was so out of focus that I edited it out of the image.

I also have a couple of simple handcarts to finish, probably to be loaded with turnips.

The next probably 12 minis will likely include a couple of archers though I will hold off on pole weapons until the relevant accessories park is available from Bloody Miniatures.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2022, 10:42:47 AM »
Brilliant work. Each one being unique  :-*
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2022, 11:03:45 AM »
Gorgeous work on those, very skilled conversions.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2022, 11:05:09 AM »
Lovely  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels