Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:24:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Flags for Swiss pike units  (Read 1125 times)

Offline pikeman

• Assistant
Flags for Swiss pike units
« on: June 13, 2022, 08:44:29 PM »
I noticed that there are typically two similar flags for the same canton. Are both used in the units? 
Pflugerville, Texas.
Gem of the Blackland Prairie!

Offline George1863

• Assistant
Re: Flags for Swiss pike units
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 03:18:08 PM »
You ask a very interesting question. I am looking at Schilling's 1482 painting of the Battle of Morat/Murten (1476); and comparing traditional canton emblems with the banners in the painting. Two things are obvious: cantonal emblems do feature on the banners depicted but halved or quartered with other devices, the field colour usually but not always being red or red/white (one in the background of the painting is entirely blue, for instance). The other obvious thing is that in Schiling's painting, at least, two of the four bodies of men depicted carry two banners, one carries three and the fourth looks like it carries six. I am no expert in the distinctions of the cantonal recuitment system, but is it possible that the number of banners theoretically relates to the number of recruits provided by each locality? Such and such a bigwig was commissioned to provide 1,000 men, say, which would join with other units from the same canton, each under their own banner? Certainly from this painting, a 'two flag per unit' rule seems arbitrary.

Offline pikeman

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2022, 05:47:12 PM »
Thank You for the detailed reply. This seems like something I should not get too worried about and just do something that looks good!
I will use the variations you describe.

Offline George1863

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2022, 05:35:26 PM »
Your question led me to re-read an article on Swiss infantry in 'Medieval Warfare' by Robert Holmes (actually concerning the Burgundian Wars, so if 'medieval' at all, very late 'medieval'). Holmes suggests that all units from a particular canton (those units known collectively as a 'banner') fought under that canton's flag, but that each 'banner' consisted of any number of 'fahnlein' - sub-units of 50-150 men - carrying their own ensign as well. If you modelled a body of 3,000 troops from Geneva, say, underneath the eagle/key motif on a yellow/red field, you might accurately also have 15 or so other flags in a unit of 30 or so miniatures. Surely madness.

In ECW gaming we have the same problem: a regiment of 1,000 men had ten flags. A long-established convention is that two is the norm per regiment; occasionally you see 3 or 4 in brigade-level games, but I have never seen more. You might consider adopting a similar convention: one flag per 500 or 1,000 or 1,500, depending on the figure-scale of your project.

You have picqued my interest. I would love to hear how you get on. You clearly want to 'get it right' historically and visually (that dreadful balance!). I have always gone with what looks right rather than strict accuracy, if I can justify it to myself.   

Offline pikeman

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2022, 09:22:27 PM »
I got busy and found the canton flags for Basel. There's two, one is for the city. I used some different field colors and did two different sizes for each one. I think I have enough for my kiel.
I hope someone else can use these. I printed them and will need to spray them with clear solvent based varnish so they do not run. I intend to use lead wine capsules for the flags and glue the paper on them. The lead has some nice wavy capabilities. I've been saving them from before lead was discontinued as a wine bottle seal.
I'm a slow painter so who knows when I'll have a photo of the finished work. I haven't even decided which figures to use! All I know is they will be a domestic US source and there are three.
Pete

Offline Sandinista

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2022, 11:55:31 PM »
I looked for coats of arms associated with towns and cities in the cantons and came up with these, not sure how historically accurate they are but I like the look of them
Ian

Offline George1863

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2022, 05:28:13 PM »
Flags of War have Swiss Confederation flags in 28mm, if you need further inspiration. Schilling's painting shows a number of square flags but also the sort of trailing banners used in the Wars of the Roses and latter stages of the Hundred Years War. If you were in the UK, you might consider Steel Fist miniatures as they look awesome; but I don't think they have a US distributor. Best wishes with your project.