Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 10:04:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685082
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (commercial) Viking Longship/Knarr/Faering papercraft model  (Read 4722 times)

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
Re: (commercial) Viking Longship/Knarr papercraft model
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2022, 03:31:47 PM »
I like that a lot! It looks great and will be a very useful size for a number of scenarios. I can imagine them being used in some of the Oathmark scenarios from the first expansion book…. The open cargo hold with removable barrels and crates is clever, too!

thanks! yes, I wanted to make sure I could replicate the cargo hold. could make some fun gaming going in and out, up and down the different deck heights.

So here is a pic with all the details I have added. These knarrs have those traversing beams, probably to tie up the cargo and also the sails.

I would skip the ones on the raised deck areas for gaming as they would complicate placement with minis but I wanted to have them as an option in case one want's to go that route with a build.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2022, 04:56:55 PM »
That’s interesting about the beams, I hadn’t heard about those (I am in no way an expert on medieval ship building, though!)

It’s a beautiful model and I think you have achieved a great compromise between detail and wargaming requirements.

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2022, 03:00:53 PM »
That’s interesting about the beams, I hadn’t heard about those (I am in no way an expert on medieval ship building, though!)

It’s a beautiful model and I think you have achieved a great compromise between detail and wargaming requirements.

It's only the Knarr that I have noticed those beam across the deck. And there were a couple of different versions of this ship type too if you look into research. I just settled for one type that made most sense for gaming. Actually I just read today that the Knarr ship type was the one used for long distances like crossing the Atlantic to Iceland and Greenland (not the famous longships)! So kind of a big deal  :)

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2022, 04:56:25 PM »
Here's a little fun diorama pic I made with the prototype of the Knarr ... LEGO crew loading up the cargo  :D

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2022, 06:54:14 AM »
The second test build with the reworked parts and textures is coming together really nice. After all the first test build is always mainly to find everything that doesn't work well and correct it! Very happy how it turned out so far.

Here's a look at how I used texturing hints and a new parts split to "hide" the hull part seams in plain sight  :D

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2022, 02:48:49 PM »
That looks very natural, I have to look very carefully to see the seam, and even then I’m not certain! I am looking forward to the release of this!

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2022, 05:56:12 AM »
I am also looking forward to the release. The second test build went very well. I am happy how all the reworking of the layout and texturing payed off.

Here's a look at the model so far.

The mast can be taken off in case you want to switch to another (sail) or just make space for gaming!

I will add some extra detailing with a sailing rig. Adding those lines usually makes a model really pop  :D

So ... more soon!

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2022, 04:34:27 PM »
So here is the final build of the Knarr with sailing rig! And I also put the Longship there for size comparison.

Now all I have to do is prepare the PDF files for the parts and the instructions for release  :) Should be ready sometime end of next week!

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2022, 06:26:09 AM »
Excellent! It’s great to hear that the knarr will be available soon. I’m looking forward to building a few!

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2022, 10:42:58 PM »
Those are great... they look great and they are already designed to lie reasonably on a table for game play! Inspiring stuff.

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2022, 05:46:47 AM »
Thank you guys! Here's a little update: got the files split up and got the cut files 50% done. Also working on the instructions. I got the step-by-step pics section done but I want to do some overall 3D renders showing how it all goes together.

Already looking forward what you guys will do with the growing Viking fleet  :D

Offline Dolnikan

• Librarian
    • Dolnikan Games
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2022, 07:15:33 AM »
This looks amazing and I will probably get some of these once I finally have gotten around to figuring out the basing for the ships I already have. For a port scene, you need quite a few after all!

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2022, 09:04:41 PM »
Look fantastic, especially with the rigging. You have now done a number of great ships are Medieval cogs and the like potentially in the pipeline?

Offline Papierschnitzel

• Scientist
    • Papierschnitzel
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2022, 07:03:26 AM »
Look fantastic, especially with the rigging. You have now done a number of great ships are Medieval cogs and the like potentially in the pipeline?

I do love ships and I'll put it on my list  :D

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2022, 07:12:52 AM »
Very nice!