Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:09:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Thränen des Vaterlandes (Florian‘s 30YW skirmishes)  (Read 3637 times)

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
Thränen des Vaterlandes (Florian‘s 30YW skirmishes)
« on: June 16, 2022, 10:26:55 PM »
It’s all Captain Blood‘s fault (I vaguely remember there was a thread with a similar name, but yes, gentlemen, it’s true!) and to a lesser degree that of LAF member Hobgoblin!  :o

Let me explain. I was happy painting my Star Wars Legion stuff when again a Bloody Miniatures update popped up here at LAF. I was so tempted that I did what everyone who watched Gremlins knows you shouldn’t do, I bought miniatures after 12 o‘clock.

So there I was with a huge amaount of very cool minis from the ECW. I thought, nice put them away and paint them when you’re retired… The force is strong with this one!

Then Hobgoblin continued his never ending thread of amazing speed painted minis. The latest techniques included contrast paints over preshaded minis. This combination plus my frustration with a squad of clone troopers did it for me: I started!

I’ll recollect my thoughts and musings in this thread here and hopefully you people are interested!

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Thränen des Vaterlandes (Florian‘s 30YW skirmishes)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2022, 10:32:45 PM »
First of all: What do I want to do?

I don’t want to do ECW but 30YW. I’ve been living most of my life in Germany and am currently based in a small town with rich 30YW folklore, so I thought doing this might be a good starting point.

Nienburg has a local legend of Dat Wählig Rott (Lower German roughly translatable as The Jolly Pack), who stole a flag from Tilley‘s army when that army besieged Nienburg. The town was only defended by 3000 Danes.

That will be the thing I would like to do: paint the Wählig Rott, some Danes and last but not least some Catholics.

I envision either Pikeman’s Lament or Donnybrook for larger skirmishes and SoBH for smaller fights. But at this stage I’m very open to suggestions.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2022, 10:35:35 PM »
And a last post because from my mobile it’s difficult to see all the text after a certain number of lines.
Anyway, here are my grayscale shaded Bloody Miniatures. They will be colored tomorrow.

Can anybody help me, which ranges for my desired models (s. above) fit best with Bloody Miniatures?

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2022, 10:36:55 PM »
Overview picture.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 07:28:38 AM »
Bloody Miniatures are designed to fit seamlessly with Bicorne Miniatures ECW range - same size, same sculptor. If then you look at the size comparison at the top of the page you will see what works, treating Bloody Miniatures figures as if they were Bicorne. Nick Collier, who sculpts the Bloody Miniatures figures and some of the Bicorne ECW figures, also sculpts the Assault Group Renaissance range which contains TYW figures - look at Renaissance Germans. The size and proportions may be a bit different between Bloody and Assault Group, but that should be fixable by increasing the base height of the Assault Group figures if needed. The Bohemian Troops range is now owned and sold by Empress Miniatures and it's a superb range but, I suspect, a bit smaller than the Bloody Miniatures range.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2022, 01:35:29 PM »
Appart from Bicorne already mentioned the old range from Renegade also fits very well with Bloody miniatures.
Redoubt enterprises also offers some very nice figures wich i think will work to in size.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2022, 03:32:39 PM »
Looks like a good start Florian :)

As Paul and Rui say, Bloody miniatures are very much designed to fit with the Bicorne and Renegade ECW/TYW ranges (is TYW DJK in Deutsch? :))

Stylistically, Nick's figures for The Assault Group (TAG) are a good match. But they are definitely a little smaller in stature and height.

I have some specific TYW mercenary characters pencilled in for Bloody Release 5. But they will be several months yet, as Nick is now working on Release 4 (which I hope to have out by the end of this summer).

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2022, 04:12:48 PM »
@ Paul & Rui: Thank you very much! I’ll see that I get some of those. I had a look at the size comparison thread, but for someone who just started the information is very dense.
I can work much better with your help!

@ Richard: Thanks! Those Mercenaries will make fine additions, once you have them. For now I’ll work with what I habe.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2022, 04:17:15 PM »
@ Richard: Yesterday my daughter and I had some icecream and I realized that there is even a depiction for the Jolly Band. I have no idea if this has a real source, probably it’s more fiction, but this is what I’m aiming at (and hopefully one day Bloody Miniatures will produce them!).
And btw, it should be 30JK in German, but I’m not sure if anybody uses that abbreviation.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2022, 05:04:23 PM »
Some very (!) fast wips, done between the end of my work and getting my daughter from the kindergarten. I need to finish metals and details.
The models are a joy to paint. Hobgoblin’s grayscale painting works very well, but gives rather dark models - I like that. As you might have guessed from the title of the thread, I consider the 30JK as a very dark and bloody period.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2022, 05:09:46 PM »
They look nice. :-*
Pm and email sent. :)

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2022, 06:05:42 PM »
Thanks, Rui. PM answered :)

I did some more basic colors. It’s really quick, but I dont want to rush the details and now it’s family time.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2022, 08:26:07 AM »
Yesterday night, I did work on my models. Using contrast paints over a preshaded mini allowed ultra quick painting. Ideal to squeeze a few metal soldiers in between my time consuming job and fatherly duties (and joys)! I managed to do nine minis by now.

The minis are a bit darker than my normal painting style, but they take only a fraction of the time to finish. Maybe with the next batch I do lighter preshading. Not sure.

I will go over the bases and add little touches here and there. Also the faces deserve some more attention (eyes etc), but overall I’m quite happy with what I managed in such a short time.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2022, 08:31:39 AM »
Some more of the nearly finished models. I went for a very colorful appearance, but they so look like they’ve seen a lot of action and atrocities. Battle-worn, desillusioned, tough as nails.

Offline Friends of General Haig

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog:
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2022, 08:47:34 AM »
The Jolly Band sounds a great idea for a collection of figures.  I really like the zenithal highlight style and contrast paint you have used - it looks really effective.  (Perhasps a dark brown prime, rather than black, would alter the look as you want?  Just a thought.  :D )