Forum > The Second World War

Centaur turret markings

(1/2) > >>

soldieroftheline:
Can any suggest a source of decals for the range markings or whatever they are around the top of the turret on the Centaurs?

I don't fancy trying to paint them on but they are a distinctive feature of the vehicle. I can't see anything in the Bolt Action range.

dadlamassu:
Warlord produce the RMASG Centaur.  They will probably sell you the decals separately if you ask them.  I have always found their customer service to very helpful.
https://store.warlordgames.com/products/centaur-mk-iv?variant=31468969951312

soldieroftheline:
But it says "decals not provided" under the product information for that model.

Can anyone who has one confirm if it did come with decals for the turret?

I bought a 3d-printed one on eBay rather than the Warlord one, so I need a separate source for them really.

Digits:
Have to say, I’m interested as to WHY they have the markings ?

dadlamassu:

--- Quote from: Digits on June 18, 2022, 12:45:41 PM ---Have to say, I’m interested as to WHY they have the markings ?

--- End quote ---
The  Centaur IVCS with a 95mm gun were given to the Royal Marines as support tanks with Sherman OP tanks. It was envisaged that during the run in to the beach, while the landing craft, the Centaurs while still on board, would lay down supporting fire. This wasnot an easy task so to facilitate this, a complex compass arrangement was painted around the turret allowing the spotter to get the turret to point accurately towards targets as the tanks were not equipped with indirect fife sights. 

Each of the five Batteries was subdivided into four Troops, with each Troop equipped with four Centaur IV and one Sherman tank as (command/OP), giving a total of 80 Centaur and 20 Sherman tanks in the entire Group. RMASG was disbanded two weeks after D-Day (D+14).

Now, it's NOT a new idea. In the 18th/19th century, there were large 'boat-mortars' which used a similar marking system (on the mounting board of the mortar)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version