Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:00:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685059
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Non GW figures that scale with Cadians etc.  (Read 4546 times)

Offline KGatch113

• Librarian
Non GW figures that scale with Cadians etc.
« on: June 21, 2022, 12:26:15 AM »

Besides Death Fields figures from Wargames Atlantic, what manufacturers make miniatures that scale well with GW normies ( Cadians, Eldar Guardians etc) of the current 28-32mm scale. HOw do Maelstrom's Edge and Stargrave figures match up?

Thanks!

Keith
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 06:43:35 AM by KGatch113 »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Non GW figures that scale with Cadians etc.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 01:33:51 AM »
What era of GW are you looking to match?  The new Eldar, for example, are quite a bit larger than previous ones, etc.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 140
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline KGatch113

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 01:56:01 AM »

Holy cow, just found a couple pics...they really did resize the Eldar!

Do you know how much bigger the new Guardians are compared to Dire Avengers, since that kit was not redone?

I would say the old line.

Now I am worried about the new Guard models...the plastic Kasrkin are probably going to be larger than the old. Ugh.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 02:19:27 AM »
Anvil industries, puppets of war, Victoria lamb miniatures. Off the top of my head, those work pretty well with the older or late 90s early 2000s stuff.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline HalcyonMiniatures

• Student
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 08:03:26 AM »
Ramshackle games does a great range of resin and metal figures:

https://shop.ramshacklegames.co.uk/24-military

And we offer a range of metal figures, most of which fit with the Guard aesthetic:
https://halcyonminiatures.com/

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2022, 08:47:08 AM »
If you can track it down (possibly Prince August still sells them; they would until stock runs out), the Warzone starter box with 80 miniatures that are perfectly compatible with 2nd ed 40K miniatures. And they used to be cheap as chips too (possibly even cheaper).

Those were also sold in a bundle without the rest of the game; just a plastic bag containing the 80 miniatures... They're getting rarer, but unless you're going for a full horde conscript army, one of those sets would get you a long way assembling an entire IG army...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
    • Idle Doings of an Idle Doodler
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2022, 09:09:47 AM »
With regards to Cadians, I haven't found the Stargrave / Northstar offerings to be drastically out of sync. Height-wise Cadians are a bit taller, but bulk-wise they are plausibly of the same species:

Offline Mad Mecha Guy

• Librarian
    • Mad Mecha Guy
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2022, 08:33:49 PM »
how about the alternative armies ion age 28mm scale figures.  the original one were done by ex-gw designers.

https://www.alternative-armies.com/collections/28mm-ion-age-miniature-range
"It's the Fumes I say, the Fumes, those lovely Laser Cut MDF fumes"

Offline KGatch113

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2022, 06:16:25 AM »
Anvil industries, puppets of war, Victoria lamb miniatures. Off the top of my head, those work pretty well with the older or late 90s early 2000s stuff.

Sadly, Victoria Lamb's stuff, as gorgeous as it is, is a lot smaller than GW/Stargrave etc. I have a TON of guys and girls for the Arcadian army that I will never use. I need to ebay them I guess.

Offline KGatch113

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2022, 06:20:47 AM »
If you can track it down (possibly Prince August still sells them; they would until stock runs out), the Warzone starter box with 80 miniatures that are perfectly compatible with 2nd ed 40K miniatures. And they used to be cheap as chips too (possibly even cheaper).

Those were also sold in a bundle without the rest of the game; just a plastic bag containing the 80 miniatures... They're getting rarer, but unless you're going for a full horde conscript army, one of those sets would get you a long way assembling an entire IG army...

Sadly, the starter box is gone.

A couple of years ago when they still had the big bags of plastics, I literally logged on, saw they were available, waited a week for payday, and they were gone. I actually had the money, I just wanted to keep some in my spending account just in case something happened....

Thanks for the idea though.

Offline KGatch113

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2022, 06:25:55 AM »
Ramshackle games does a great range of resin and metal figures:

https://shop.ramshacklegames.co.uk/24-military

And we offer a range of metal figures, most of which fit with the Guard aesthetic:
https://halcyonminiatures.com/

Your stormtrooper squad is fantastic. I am putting them down on the to get list.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2022, 03:40:32 PM »
Heresy Miniatures have some troopers that are a great fit: link

It's worth looking though his website (and his current Kickstarter), as Andy's recently acquired some of the old Atenociti's Workshop model range, which will bring even more suitably-sized models to his range.

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2022, 03:43:58 PM »
Heresy Miniatures have some troopers that are a great fit: link

It's worth looking though his website (and his current Kickstarter), as Andy's recently acquired some of the old Atenociti's Workshop model range, which will bring even more suitably-sized models to his range.

The Fate Amenable To Change (FATC) range are very slim and realistic especially in comparison to GW Cadians etc, order a couple and see whether they work for you? Very, very nice minis though, I have some, and plan on getting some Komodo PA suits.
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2022, 04:10:03 PM »
Well, the FATC minis are a bit of a mix... The military robots are a bit slimmer than humans, but the guns are on the larger/chunkier side, and so they scale/fit fairly well. Of course, I don't know if they would be of specific interest for anything in particular, but they make for great additions to warbands/Kill teams where figures do diverge a bit more from regular 40k.

The civilians are an okay fit too, although I prefer the unarmed ones. They are generically sci-fi without being too connected to any one background universe.

For the Operatives, and some of the earlier ranges of enclosed-armour troopers, I do agree they are quite fine - more akin to first generation and early second generation Infinity sculpts.

Anyway, I thought them worth a mention, as Heresy's Troopers definitely fit well, and he now sells the FATC minis too. :)

Offline KGatch113

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2022, 07:34:43 PM »
I like their stuff but it looks slim. I did not see robots though....